Looking for BIOS upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

typhon2012

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi All,

Anyone know where and how I can upgrade the BIOS for a SONY VAIO Laptop: VPCEB1EOE. The current version is: AMI Bios version 1.28.1119

My hard drive packed in and I bought a Toshiba MK5059GXSP 500GB HDD. But after installing from the recovery disks Windows 7 fails to load. I get an error message saying 'A disk read error occurred Press ctrl+alt+del to restart.' I have tried using to console to reload the C drive which it appeared to do, but arrived back at the same error message.

I think updating the BIOS could do the job but I have never done this and don't know what to download or how to add it. Bear in mind that the laptop won't boot into windows. If any of you clever guys know what the steps are I'd appreciate your help. I did download Knoppix Linux to take off the data from the old failed drive so if that helps in loading BIOS great. Does Windows 7 come with the driver for this HDD? I have asked Toshiba tech, will have to wait for that answer till Monday.

Cheers,
Ty

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
windows 7 should have no problems with the drive. and i doubt a bios update will fix it. it only mentions a better fan control for the bios update. so likely not the fix but if you click my link and get the bios it might help. it is a windows program though.
goo.gl/k2XzZ

have you tried to install windows fresh rather than using a recovery disk.

typhon2012

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
The laptop didn't come with new install disks, you had to make recovery disks. I guess I could fork out on new disks but don't want to waste money before checking all the options. Thanks for the link and advice.

Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.