ATI 9800 Pro Problems Already!!!

MaverickSY19

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Well I got my 9800 Pro yesterday and installation was not a problem i've been building computers for years. I put on the latest 3.2 Catalyst drivers and control panel and I ran some benchmarks. I set the card to full performance and ran 3DMark 2003 with a score of 5620. System specs listed in sig. I had no issues running 3DMark 2003 or 2001 SE with 8X AGP and Side Band Addressing on. I thought all was good. Well last night when I got home from work I was playing Raven Shield and I kept getting hard locks. I tried Medal of Honor:AA Spearhead and same thing. The sound was freezing with a high pitched whine and I could not recover without hiting reset or power off. Well I thought the 9800 might be interfering with my Audigy card, the Ti 4600 I just took out of the system was working great before this with the Audigy in the same slot. Well to make a long story short, after troubleshooting the problem for a while and moving my sound card around I found it was not that at all. I had to set my AGP to 4x and set it to 4X in the ATI Control Panel, then I had to turn off Sideband Addressing in the control panel. When I did those two things the system seemed to be running with no lockups. I didn't have a lot of time to test it though because I had to go to work. I get off work in an hour and I will test some more. So I hope this doesn't mean there is a problem with this card at 8x AGP or with my motherboard. Though I read many reviews on this board before I bought it and everyone had a 9700 running at 8x without a problem. I wonder if I need to up my AGP Voltage to max 1.7v for this board in BIOS to help support the voltage hog card that I keep seeing people report. I do have the Y adapter hooked to one of my HD's as well as my card. I have a Antec True Blue 480W P/S so i dont think thats an issue.

Any thoughts would be good from you guys. Just funny that it will run both 3DMark programs without lockups and even the Demos in constant loops with the SOUND ON with no lockups.

MaverickSY19
P4 3.06 Hyperthreading CPU
Asus P4G8X Deluxe Granite Bay Intel 7205 Chipset w/2G Dual Port Ram
ATI 9800 Pro 128
Audigy XGamer w/5.1 Speakers
250 Gigs of total HD Space

Ok, I'll start by saying I have no freakin idea if THIS is it, but just thought I let you know that there were some issues with the Antec power supplies and the First 9700 boards. Doesn't sound like a PSU issue though. Sounds more like a diver conflict, but don't know, did you try an earlier catalyst? Did you fully uninstall the Nvidia drivers?
WEBMASTER in his post about the '9700.. slow?' mentioned an issue with raven shield. Just FYI.

You will likely need to wait a while before enough people have run 9800s on various systems to encounter what you're experiencing, anywhoo, maybe someone else has read about or experienced something similar, other than Webmaster on a 9700.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

MaverickSY19

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Its hard to say at this point if its a power problem. I would hope that a Antec True Power supply of 480w with voltage feedback circuitry would not have problem. The Ti4600 I had in here worked like a charm. I'm not sure about the drivers, I did run an uninstall of them then I did a shut down and took the card out so it would not try to reinstall them after a reboot. They seem to be gone but who knows. I must admit I didn't try the drivers on the cd because I knew there were newer ones out and I just downloaded them. I did try to set my AGP Voltage to max 1.7v for this board to no avail. It runs fine at 4x but 8x will lock it up everytime after about 2 or 3 minutes of gameplay, even in Medal of Honor, not just Raven Shield. I did expect Raven Shield to perform better than it is though with this system and video card. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the AGP drivers, I got the latest from the Intel website but they could be buggy. It just seems funny that I can run 3DMark2001 and 2003 all day without a crash at 8x with Fast Writes on but when i run real games they crash :(. Oh well I'll keep trying to figure it out.

MaverickSY19
ATI 9800 Pro 128

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I know this sounds crazy, but some people recommend reinstalling your whole OS if you switch from NVidia to ATI. Apparently NVidia's uninstall doesn't clean things all the way up.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

MaverickSY19

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2003
Someone else said that same thing. I might do that this weekend sense I just built this system last week I don't have much loaded on it anyway. The only reason I even put in the Ti 4600 was because the 9800 Pro hadn't shipped to me yet and I had to test the rest of the new rig you know hehe. Somehow though I can say right now I don't think this is going to fix it. Especially when the whole system runs great with AGP at 4x and Fast Writes on as long as I stay at 4x. I just spent 30 minutes going through the Registry and purging all Nvidia stuff, and then I found two drivers left on the HD nv4_disp.dll was left in windows\system32\ folder and in the system32\drivers folder i found nv4_mini.sys , both of these files could cause problems so I need to boot to safemode command prompt to delete them. I'll do that and see what I get though i doubt they will fix the lock ups in 8x they might make Raven Shield run a bit better who knows.

MaverickSY19
ATI 9800 Pro 128

aliu42

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I was reading an article on Nordichardware on the 9800 Pro..

They noted some stuttering in the video and couldn't initially determine the problem..

After some troubleshooting...they narrowed it down to some issues with the Audigy soundsuite...

Here's a link to the page of the article that discusses it..

<A HREF="http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Radeon9800Pro/index.php?ez=6" target="_new">http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Radeon9800Pro/index.php?ez=6</A>

Solution: I have no earthly idea...I'm just reporting what I see...

Perhaps your seeing a more pronouced version of this problem...It's not terribly uncommon with video/sound..

Well..hope I helped find some direction...

Aliu

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
--Albert Einstein