Help with Asus problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray62

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi I have an Asus A7D running windows 7, the laptop has been operating perfectly until Thursday morning, I used the laptop early in the morning no problem then I had to go out so switched the machine off as normal, upon my return I powered on the laptop only to find that neither the keyboard or mouse pad were working.
Because of this I now cannot even get into the Bios and cannot find the reason for this, I have checked the ribbon cables and all seem to be correct.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Ray62;

Not a lot to go on there. You've already done the 'check the keyboard cable' step.
How far into the boot up process will the laptop go? What do you see on the screen?

The only thing I can think of is trying a USB keyboard & mouse and see if that can work.

Ray62

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply, the system goes through the boot until it reaches a page that says "Windows cannot start and will attempt to repair" or a 2nd option of "Start Windows normally" but as neither keyboard or mouse pad working I cannot choose 2nd option, I have tried a USB keyboard but although power is coming through USB ports because keyboard lights come on, laptop will not recognise the keyboard. I have also tried to reinstall a clean version of Windows 7 but again hit the problem that when screen displays "Hit any key to load from DVD" the keyboard is not working so no key works, it then carries on until it reaches the "Windows cannot start" page again.

I really can't see any more options for you to try.
A replacement keyboard, or a trip to a repair tech looks like your next step.

Do you need to backup or save any personal files or data on your laptop before you take the next step? You might be able to attach the laptop's hard drive to another computer using an external USB housing adapter.
Example: 2.5" IDE to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure
As far as I can tell your model has an IDE type hard drive - but you should confirm that.

As long as the HDD is spinning and the file system isn't corrupt you should be able to access your files with the HDD attached to another computer.

Ray62

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Thank you for trying

Ray62

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Thanks i don't have anything on it that needs to be backed up and as is it is a fairly old laptop do not want to spend to much money on it, I just wondered if there was anyone that has more knowledge than I do can tell me how and why a keyboard and mouse track board can just stop working, it just makes no sense to me

Status
Not open for further replies.