Inspiron 5100 problems

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Sound card and modem not recognised by XP.I know the modem could be faulty
and can be replaced but the sound is on the mainboard.Its not a driver
issue,have tried the latest.These aren't really the main problem however
trying to sort them out has revealed a bigger problem.Its running bios
version A04,the latest is A23.When I try to flash in windows the continue
button is unavailable and theres a red cross saying "system not supported"
with no option to flash.I tried the technicians flash/diagnostics cd on boot
which gave similar error messages and refused to run diags.The service tag
mentioned in bios is the same as the sticker underneath.Anyone got any
ideas?
TIA
Mick

You must be looking at the wrong ssystem. I show the latest BIOS to be A32.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_5100&category=0&os=WW1&osl=EN

"Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message
> Sound card and modem not recognised by XP.I know the modem could be faulty
> and can be replaced but the sound is on the mainboard.Its not a driver
> issue,have tried the latest.These aren't really the main problem however
> trying to sort them out has revealed a bigger problem.Its running bios
> version A04,the latest is A23.When I try to flash in windows the continue
> button is unavailable and theres a red cross saying "system not supported"
> with no option to flash.I tried the technicians flash/diagnostics cd on
> boot
> which gave similar error messages and refused to run diags.The service tag
> mentioned in bios is the same as the sticker underneath.Anyone got any
> ideas?
> TIA
> Mick

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

Yes that was a typo.Have found on the forum that I had to flash with A22
first to change from Phoenix to Dell bios.Have done this and successfully
flashed to A32.This has now let the Sigmatel 9750 audio device appear in the
bios(didnt show before)however it still doesnt work(installing the driver
gives "no device found".In bios the modem is reported as "disabled" with no
option to change this.Have just tried another Pctel modem from another
machine with same result,no device in control panel.
Mick