Is AGP8x really needed for ATI 9700 card?

valexp

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new PC system with ATI Radieon 9700 card, but the system I have in mind has Intel 845PE chipset which only supports AGP4x. The 9700 supports AGP8x.

I read an article which says AGP4x is more than enough for almost all graphics card and 3D games. However, the 9700 is the latest card for 3D game so I am curious whether AGP8x is needed to fully realize the performance of 9700 card. Or AGP4x is enough for 9700.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

PS)The system I am thinking about is Dell Dimension 4250 with 2.5G P4, 512ram(DDR 333MHZ).

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
AGP 4x is enough

Someday Microsoft will use safedisc copy protection on Windows, and we have to insert the Windows CD evertime we boot pc.

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, people say that the games simply can't push the card into needing AGP8x. I believe that's bullsheit, and that even with all that power, thge 9700 still will never need more bandwidth than AGP4x has to offer.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

The thing about that is that there is a difference when using a PRO card like a FIREGL on a 4x agp instead of 8X (yes I know they are run on AGPPRO 50/110 slots, but running AGP 4X and 8X modes) as well as moded 9700s, and there IS a difference in performance because some of the CAD apps and synthetic benchmarks pushed the card hard enough to require it to do alot of work with the system resources. Anywoo I think it is unlikely we will see it in the near future, but maybe in the long rung. But yeah it's only guess work as to whether GAMES will push that same envelope. Just FYI.

So if you have the choice to go with a 4x or an 8x board, then maybe chose the 8x board, as long as you are not using an older card while waiting for your new card.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

Vonkwink

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I've got a radeon 9700 pro and im running it on a 4x agp, and its fine. I have noticed no problems whatsoever with the 4x agp

You miss the point, read carefully, not problems, just potential differences when running serious apps. What are you running/playing on your 9700 that you would even notice if there were 'problems' other than one's that have little/nothing to do with the AGP bus speed. The only way you would be able to notice in most apps would be through a benchmark, they likely would be % differences. Unless it was a SERIOUS resource hog that caused dropped frames.

You likely won't see games requiring the 8xagp bus for at least a year, however who knows, maybe NEVER, however there are apps that DO make a difference when running the pro cards, so it wouldn't surprise me if in 1-3 years we see some games that DO need that kind of path, now whether you will be able to run them on a 9700 is the real question.
Will the games that need the 8x agp be able to use that power with the weak cards we have now or will it need the power of the PCI-EX/PCI-X cards?
Anywhoo, we shall see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK