Mata Hari (I hate her) LSJ

Hey LSJ,

Ok, so for playing a card, Mata can be assumed to meet the
requirements,

Local 1111, she can equip with it, but since it says the Sabbat Vampire
with this card, she cannot use it, correct?

Off topic Question:

I have Slaughter House in Play Untapped, my prey has Waste Management
in Play, and No Library. He taps Waste Management to move a card to
the bottom of his non-existing Library, he also has less than 7 cards.
Can I tap the Slaughter House to burn the card, before he redraws to go
to 7 cards?

Gratzi,

David

T/F ?
Arg, same Question about Aching Beauty, she can put in on herself, but
cannot use it.

Quetzalcoatl

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

David Wilson, Mask of a Thousand Names wrote:
> T/F ?
> Arg, same Question about Aching Beauty, she can put in on herself,
but
> cannot use it.

Yes you are correct about Aching Beauty ... she can play it but never
gain benefit.

The same goes for Local 111. She can play it however she will not
remain Sabbat thus she cannot use it.

As for the Slaughterhouse question, you must allow him to complete his
given action. Thus he taps the Waste Management, redraws to hand size,
then you may tap the slaughterhouse.

Regards,
David

or maybe it was so boring he decided to invent mata hari
Andrea

LSJ´s life must have been boring before he invented Mata Hari :))

--
johannes walch

Quetzalcoatl

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Mata Hari is not that complicated. The exact situations that she comes
up in can be mirrored by previous "tricks" in play.

I think that she was invented as a vampire that could perform these
"tricks".

Tricks I speak of are:

Clan Impersonate to play other clan cards.

Out of the Frying Pan/Into the Fire to play Cam/Sab cards.

Vampire A recruits clan-only retainer/equipment that doesn't limit it
to that clan after equipping (Sword of Nuln) and then Heildleburg onto
Vampire B not of that clan.

Mata Hari simply performs these functions as one entity as opposed to a
combination of cards/vampires.

Even the "you may play" part of her text was originally solved by Clan
Impersonation.

There is nothing "wierd" about her.

Even Toreador Grand Ball where she taps as part of the play but after
that may untap normally since she is no longer Toreador can be
acheieved with other cards, its just easier with her.

David

<andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it> schreef in bericht
> or maybe it was so boring he decided to invent mata hari
> Andrea

probably because he thought the era of Form of Mist Questions was over.
What a mistake :)

> Even Toreador Grand Ball where she taps as part of the play but after
> that may untap normally since she is no longer Toreador can be
> acheieved with other cards, its just easier with her.

Could you use her to play Brujah Debate and tap her as the largest
Brujah?

Could you use her to play Brujah Debate to hose other Brujah players
and remain immune from its effect?

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

> Mata Hari effectively gives you a very temporary Clan Impersonation (or
> "Sect Impersonation") which only exists for as long as you are playing
> and resolving the card, and which is only acknowledged by the card she
> plays/allows you to play. No other card notices the temporary "change",
> and even the card you play stops noticing once you've played and
> resolved it.

So, the irony of my not finding something with google is particularly
sweet, but either I'm stupid or it's not there:

Does Mata Hari screw up pitching cards which have burn options and are
tied to a clan?

Ankur

In message <1116680203.501380.252620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
X_Zealot@cox-internet.com writes:
>Could you use her to play Brujah Debate

Yes.

>and tap her as the largest
>Brujah?

No. That happens once it's in play, not when it's played.

By the time it's in play, her special ability has stopped working. So
she doesn't count as a Brujah for it.

>Could you use her to play Brujah Debate to hose other Brujah players
>and remain immune from its effect?

Yes. Just the same as if you played Clan Impersonation and then the CI
was burned immediately (by some effect).

Mata Hari effectively gives you a very temporary Clan Impersonation (or
"Sect Impersonation") which only exists for as long as you are playing
and resolving the card, and which is only acknowledged by the card she
plays/allows you to play. No other card notices the temporary "change",
and even the card you play stops noticing once you've played and
resolved it.

Same deal with Kemintiri advanced. The card she plays treats her as a
Justicar, Ventrue or Camarilla vampire, while she is playing and
resolving it. (Note that this doesn't actually give her extra votes, if
something had caused her to forfeit her own title - only the card she
plays knows she's got a pretend Justicar title.)

(She doesn't actually change, but this is a convenient lie for
understanding it.)

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

James Coupe wrote:
> In message <1116680203.501380.252620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> X_Zealot@cox-internet.com writes:
>>Could you use her to play Brujah Debate
>
> Yes.
>
>>and tap her as the largest
>>Brujah?
>
> No. That happens once it's in play, not when it's played.
>
> By the time it's in play, her special ability has stopped working. So
> she doesn't count as a Brujah for it.

Correct.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

In message <Pine.GSO.4.62.0505211234130.26297@eenie.cs.duke.edu>, Ankur
Gupta <agupta@cs.duke.edu> writes:
>So, the irony of my not finding something with google is particularly
>sweet, but either I'm stupid or it's not there:
>
>Does Mata Hari screw up pitching cards which have burn options and are
>tied to a clan?

No, you can still pitch them.

Some cards that have a requirement also have a burn option icon.
This icon means that a Methuselah who doesn't control a minion
that meets the requirements may discard the card during any
Methuselah's untap phase.

Mata Hari doesn't meet the requirements. She just lets you play *as if*
she met them.