Radeon 9700 Pro or NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800?

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Hi all

I need to upgrade my video card, but I'm undecided between a
Radeon 9700 Pro and the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra.

I know both cards kick video ass, but what are the pros and cons of each
card? Anyone has any inputs? Thanks!

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.desktop-video-guide.com" target="_new">http://www.desktop-video-guide.com</A>
Learn to shoot, capture and edit your own digital videos!

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I think most people will tell you to go with the 9700 pro. If you have the money for a 5800 ultra why not just go with a 9800 pro? Undoubtedly they are better then the 5800 ultra. Also the radeons dont sound like a vacuum cleaner

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I think you should buy the 9700Pro, but if you have the cash for a 5800 Ultra, why not go ahead and get a 9800Pro?

Silence is golden, and as far as I know, most 5800 Ultra cards currently on the market use the Flow-FX cooler.

A 9700Pro is just as fast (even faster with AA and AF on) as an FX5800U, it´s cheaper and makes less noise.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
Agreed, mostly. Radeon's are faster and quieter and cheaper...

Though if you want something that actually WORKS, has special support for upcoming EA Games, and has drivers that actually WORK, Id say go Nvidia.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Though if you want something that actually WORKS, has special support for upcoming EA Games, and has drivers that actually WORK, Id say go Nvidia.
Except for the fact that the GFFX drivers DON'T WORK! LOL! :tongue:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Is this gonna become a flame thread? Or what?
Okay, I'll bite. You should buy the FX 5800 Ultra. That way, in the autumn, you can carry your case outdoors with an extension cord, and use it as a leaf blower. :smile:

In that respect, the 5800 is obviously a much better value. If all your interested in is, like, games and stuff, buy a 9800 PRO.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 04/13/03 03:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I would pair the 9700 non-PRO against the 5800 in a competition segment. Then the 9700 is the better choice.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 04/13/03 07:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I dont think a 9700 non pro could compete with a 5800 ultra. 9700 pro could in some aspects, like with 16x aniso or FSAA but wait for the 9800 pro if you have money for the ultra

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

The 9700pro matches and mainly exceeds the Fx in most segments, especially those that MATTER. So you can pull 400 fps in Quake 3 with nothing on with an FX, big deal, what does that help? AA anf AF and High Res. ARE the only resons to buy an expensive card, and the 9700P & 9800P own those segments. Why get a 9700P over a 9800P, heck the money of course. The difference is NICE, but the difference in money can get you some nice additional options or games. Just my humble (or not so) opinion.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

dhlucke

Polypheme

The drivers for the FX don't work, the EA games thing is hopefully a stupid rumor, and the FX sounds like a small orchestra.

Buy the Radeon.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I don't know why people call GF-FX noisy, it doesn't make noise, it roars!

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
personally, at this point i'd suggest the Raddy 9800 or 9700's. I won't support a company that acts like a lil child when they don't get their way.

Futuremark
DX9 FP24 standard
EA game deal to help boost sales

I don't like how their doing their busness, i won't support them -_- I hope you don't either...although i'll probably get flamed for that -_-

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Funny you should say that, since the current drivers for the GFfx needs to cheat in order to match current Radeons. As far as I know this is only in 3D Mark though.

Most people don´t have problems with the Catalyst drivers. If you use a safe method for un-installing and installing the drivers, you´ll have even less woes.
Nvidia´s drivers are easier to install, that was the first thing I notticed when I installed my Radeon.

Hopefully that EA thing is just a rumour. I would hate to see a console-like situation on the PC, and everyone who appreciates PC gaming more than worshipping Nvidia should feel the same way.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Hopefully that EA thing is just a rumour. I would hate to see a console-like situation on the PC, and everyone who appreciates PC gaming more than worshipping Nvidia should feel the same way.
It's not a rumour but was in the news a few days ago. nvidia gets exclusive permission to bundle EA games with their graphiccards. Games published by EA will get special support by nvidia and include features not available on other cards although all EA games will continue to work fine on ATI cards...

<A HREF="http://bluesnews" target="_new">http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=41170</A>

considering the original topic of this thread:

--> nv35
--> P4 Canterwood

enough said

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
lol, i was at the nVida office in NC, and I saw (and heard ;) a geForce FX Ultra demo. It was a little funny, the man had to keep turning down the resolution to the kind of AA quality that you would expect in a high end video card. In the end, the demos looked…poor. I realize that these were some of the beefiest, and most demanding programs out there, but come on! It was done by one of the most $$$ cards out there, and it looked like the res on a cheap digital camera! O well…

<font color=blue>Let's see, 500 posts a day, each day, for 30 days, and I will have more posts than Crashman!</font color=blue>

FatherWapiti

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
Well kinda like the age old question...

What is the meaning of life? NVidea LOL

check out the consumer sales #'s. Radeon is lagging there but this is probably due to there past driver difficulties...Now NVidea is having same prob and its lagging in its drivers...Go figure.

Yeah look at the sales figures, ATI's are increasing and exceed Nvidia's for the same period. Meanwhile Nvidia's sales are in the decline. Radeon is NOT lagging, unless you go so far back as to make it include the very first GF4 sales, and that has no bearing on the current picture.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

cleeve

Illustrious
As for MY opinion:

The Geforce FX 5800 non-ultra is a very fast card.
It's weaknesses are a very loud fan and poor image/texture quality. It also loses a LOT of ground to the Radeon 9700 PRO when antialiassing and anistropic filtering are turned on.

The Radeon 9700 PRO is also a very fast card.
Quieter, speedier, and cheaper than a GeforceFX 5800 non-ultra. With better image quality to boot...

When you turn on options like antialiassing and anistropic filtering, it owns the Geforce FX 5800. It even beats the Ultra!
(and if you're spending this kind of cash on a video card, why wouldn't you want awesome image quality?)

Both of these cards support DirectX 9+ and will be usable for quite some time.

SO:
Which is the better card?

Keeping in mind that you don't pay tons of cash on a video card so that you can play games with lower image quality, I think the Radeon 9700 PRO is the choice here.

With a quiet fan, superior image quality, and sizable speed gains with antialliassing and anistropic filtering enabled, the 9700 PRO clearly beats the 5800.

Especially since it's a bit cheaper from what I understand!

Hope this helps,

- Cleeve