VideoFREAK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I'm building a video editing system and I need a decent video card. I looked at some of the threads that mentioned the ATI 9000 pro would do well, but now when I look around Pricewatch the Saphire versions are cheaper than ATI's versions. Any huge difference in performance for video editing? Would I regret not getting an ATI original?
Thanks in advance.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
You would not regret it. Basically ATI's version is just the retail box and is more expensive for a pretty box

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Umm, yes, you would regret it. The Saphire card is cheaper in price because it uses sub-standard memory, and is slower. I'm not saying not to get it, just pointing out a fact. It too, comes in a pretty retail box.

My Score..<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104</A>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Just try typing in a search on google for a review on that Saphire card, from a reputable web site. It'll tell you everything.

My Score..<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104</A>

Yeah, but if someone is asking about a 9000 and also asking the forum (after all the same questions already asked) they likely won't notice the difference. Explaining ram and overclocking would just tempt the little ah heck to do something he'd likely miss a step in or forget to 'do so gradually in SMALL increments' and then fry his mobo/card.
Don't confuse the man. :tongue:

Yes a Sapphire card will meet your needs young man, just don't try to do anything 'special' and don't really expect much from it. However for a 'VIDEO FREAK' are you really sure you wanna waste your money on a 9000, go for a 9100 at least for a little more oomph? Yeah it's video but go for the little extra, you'll notice the diff. Otherwise go with a retail card.

Tweakers shouldn't even consider a 9000. Yes I have one, but it's not for gaming, not at all (although granted it's better than any MX out there).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 04/13/03 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
If you get the non pro, then the clock speeds are locked anyways.

VideoFREAK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
So I'm looking at 9100's and none are retail versions by ATI. So I guess a Saphire 9100 would actually be better than a ATI 9000? what type of "oompphs" does this card have over the 9000. And by the way, I'm in no way interested in overclocking or tweaking. I'd rather not risk it.

Thanks "old man" from "young man". Hehe.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Alot more ooomph. The 9100 has one more pixle pipeline than the 9000pro, and a higher fillrate...read some reviews.

GW is right it is a substantial increase in most things, especially the basics, and it's best to just spend a penny or two more and go with a little more power. I wish mine were at least a pro sometimes, but thqat's usually while I'm waiting for some other application to finish and I'm playing while it's owrking in the background (ahhhhh dual cpus) :cool:

Also, they do not make the 9100 in retail version, and yes the Sapphire 9100 should be better than the Retial or OEM 9000, unless they crippled your 9100 in some way (like undeclocked it or something, but that HIGHLY unlikely [no reason to])

As for tweaking, yeah I don't blame you, that's been my attitude towards the 9000 in my rig, so I've never tried to overclock it and if GW is right it wouldn't work, although I thought I saw something about tweaking even non-pro 9000s, but maybe I misread it, in any case never interested, only interested in tweaking the CPUs wich run like 1910s (1800+ in stock) when I feel frisky for some number crunching.

Anywho, yeah the 9000 does me fine, but since they are about the same price usually, go with the 9100 it's a better card IMHO. I will leave the overclocking to the 9600P I'll get in a few weeks if the release date holds.

P.S. I'm not THAT old, eh! I'm in the 18-35 marketing age group so I'm ok.
However yeah I do have a job that pays for all my toys, as well as university; so I'm old enough.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
weird, my sapphire 9700 pro uses the same 2.86ns ram on the ATi cards, I always thought the price different was the ATi 5 year warrenty...

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

cleeve

Illustrious
WAIT A SECOND: Is this just for video editing?

If you're not playing any games on the thing, and have a video capture card, it will make absoilutely no difference what video card you use. A cheap Radeon 7500 will serve you just as well as any other video card. Just try to get one with good display quality, like a Radeon or Matrox.
The consensus is that Nvidia cards display quality isn't up to par, so you might want to stay away from 'em.

-----------------------------

If you want good 3d performance out of your purchase as well:

All Radeon 8500s, 9000s, 9100's, and 9200s have 4 pixel pipelines.

Radeon 8500s and 9100s have two texture units per pipeline however. Radeon 9000s and 9200s have one texture unit per pipeline.
This makes multitextured operations faster with the 8500/9100 cards.

Although the 9100 is technically superior to the 9000/9200, most people have reported that the Radeon 9100s available come with poor memory and don't have very good overclocking potential, while some 9000s have been reported with great overclocking potential that would allow them to surpass the 8500/9100 performance.

The bottom line: If you aren't going to overclock, get the 8500/9100.
If you are going to overclock, find the card with the best memory. Ask around on the rage3d.com forums, lots of ATI overclockers there...

Good luck,

- Cleeve

VideoFREAK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 9100 at this point. I will use it for a few games but nothing too intense graphically. It seems that card will do great and I won't feel in a few months that I need a newer card like I would if I were to go with a 7500. Now I just have to find a good price from someone I trust. Any suggestions? I frequently check Pricewatch but half of the vendors there don't really look appealing to me (I don't really trust them.) Where have you guys had good experiences from?

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I bought a 9000 a while back and was seriously disappointed with its performance. It refused to overclock and didnt run much better than my old Radeon DDR. So i got an 8500, which I guess is equavalent to the 9100. Its a much nicer card. Definately stay away from the 9000.

And yeah I agree Newegg is the best place to shop. Ive bought probably a few 1000 dollars from them over the years.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
When I first read the reviews on Radeon 9000 I was astonished at the fact that ATI locked the clock settings. This doesnt make the card bad, because it gives some good bang for the buck, I just cant help but wonder why ATI did this. If anyone know's please post what you know on this subject here, on this thread.

My Score..<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104</A>Pic's of my pc before I pimped it.<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html" target="_new">http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html</A>

VideoFREAK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Muchos gracias senores. I have no further qusetions at this point. My friend also recommended Newegg. Thanks for the help. Hasta luego.

What was that about Leggo my Eggo?

Well good hunting, let us know what you finally pull the trigger on.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

VideoFREAK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I spent some considerable time reading stuff on the Saphire 9100 and I found out that first of all its not PRO ( which none of them are, and was wondering whether thats a big deal?) and that the DVI connection is only DVI-D and that it doesn't work with the adapter for two monitors. I plan on having two LCD's for this editing system and thought that going digital might be better since the pisture tends to be sharper right. So will the fact that this card not working with an adapter force me to use one LCD analog and the other digital? OR is there some way that I could do both in digital? I probably just opened a whole new can of worms but that what this forum is for.

"Where ever there is injustice, who'll find us. Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there. Line...."

Do you absolutely need/want dual LCD, why not LCD and CRT.
CRT still has better overall picture, I like LCD because it's easier on the eyes (after a long day at owrk staring at CRTs), but I think it's usually good to have at least one CRT for sharpness and colour depth. If you want dual DVI then you will have to go with something like the Matrox G550. The question is how important is it to you to have dual digital LCD? You can still have one digital and one analogue, which you then determine whihc one is your 'draft' monitor and which one is your 'precision' monitor.
Anywho I run LCD and CRT, and that works for me, especially since CRT is more TV video like and resizes better. Unless deskspace is at a premium and that's why you are going 2xLCD.

VideoFREAK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
I want to keep the computer that I am using right now for internet stuff and have the new comp for editing. If I did it that way I would have to get an LCD and another CRT. I really don't have enough space for 2 CRTs and an LCD. Could I use a KVM switch on my CRT to switch between my old computer and my new one while leaving the LCD directly to the vid card? Is there a way within the Radeon software to determine which monitor is my primary and which is my secondary and then switch them at any time? Do you get what I'm asking?

I think I 'kinda' understand. Yes you could use a KVM switch, but personally I hate them, but heck I just have 2 dedicated computers (plus this little laptop for web-browsing while watching TV or on my bed) not 4+ desktops. I'm not a fan of KVM switched, but if you like you could go that route, but wouldn't that cost you almost as much as a Cheap-but-good monitor for your internet /gaming rig. However you shouldn't have problems using onw, but it will force you to keep both rigs together, which may be fine for you.
But the thing is I assume you're doing video editing and not audio, so you really do want the precision of a CRT, however when web surfing you could use an LCD (even for some gaming) without any issues. You can definitely share the CRT with not ill-effects, but if you find differences in default settings between the two platforms be sure to adjust to make the CRT perform best on your editing rig, since that is the whole point.
You can use Windows and the ATI control panel to change primaries, but it's not as easy as you might want (although not difficult), just annoying to have to do it every few boot-ups).