New VTES Art Director...

Hi there,
I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES. The first set you'll
probably see my "handy work" will be the new Legacies of Blood
set...although I have had a hand in the design and layout on every set
since Camarilla.

I hope to be posting a "preferred artist" thread in the upcoming weeks,
so be prepared to list your 10 favorite VTES artists.

Mike Chaney
Art Director Vampire: The Eternal Struggle & the World of Darkness

"Mike Chaney" <mikec@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
> am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES. The first set you'll
> probably see my "handy work" will be the new Legacies of Blood
> set...although I have had a hand in the design and layout on every set
> since Camarilla.
>
> I hope to be posting a "preferred artist" thread in the upcoming weeks,
> so be prepared to list your 10 favorite VTES artists.

Hi Mike!

PLEASE promise us you'll leave the card layout ALONE!!!

(My one and only important request from WW's Art Director.)

Fred

The layout won't be changing...no worries. As far as the cards lining
up, I will make every effort to make the line up a much as humanly
possible.

Mike Chaney wrote:
> Hi there,
> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
> am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES. The first set you'll
> probably see my "handy work" will be the new Legacies of Blood
> set...although I have had a hand in the design and layout on every set
> since Camarilla.
>
> I hope to be posting a "preferred artist" thread in the upcoming weeks,
> so be prepared to list your 10 favorite VTES artists.
>
> Mike Chaney
> Art Director Vampire: The Eternal Struggle & the World of Darkness

I humbly request that you hire a professional copy editor to review the
texts for all cards in any subsequent set. Perhaps that is done
already, but invariably it seems like there are small mistakes in every
set.

By the way, my wife is an excellent choice if you're looking for a
freelancer. ;)

Jeff

I'd like to suggest reviewing the font size.

IMHO there's no reason to use the same font size
on all cards (in the text field), when text length
differs between 1 and 30+ words.

In some circumstances its painful to decipher the text
due to the chosen small font, but might not be necessary
if it's only something like 'Press, only usable ...'.

Alf

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:25:51 -0700, Frederick Scott
<nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

> "Mike Chaney" <mikec@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
>> am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES. The first set you'll
>> probably see my "handy work" will be the new Legacies of Blood
>> set...although I have had a hand in the design and layout on every set
>> since Camarilla.
>>
>> I hope to be posting a "preferred artist" thread in the upcoming weeks,
>> so be prepared to list your 10 favorite VTES artists.
>
> Hi Mike!
>
> PLEASE promise us you'll leave the card layout ALONE!!!
>
> (My one and only important request from WW's Art Director.)
>
> Fred

Well, that's arguably a bit belated wish. Still, it would be nice to
see some consistency at least in the upcoming sets...

--
Bye,

Daneel

"Daneel" <daniel@eposta.hu> wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:25:51 -0700, Frederick Scott
> <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
>
>> "Mike Chaney" <mikec@white-wolf.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
>>> am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES.
>> Hi Mike!
>>
>> PLEASE promise us you'll leave the card layout ALONE!!!
>>
>> (My one and only important request from WW's Art Director.)
>
> Well, that's arguably a bit belated wish.

It would have been better had it not changed in the past, it's true.
(Not because the existing layout is bad; just that ANYTHING looks terrible
when you mix two different layouts. And since this is a COLLECTIBLE card
game, mixing layouts becomes a necessity if the company prints different
layouts in different expansions.) But yet another change in the
future would be even worse still. So in order for him to know there's
an issue, it doesn't hurt to actually tell him there's an issue, IMHO.

> The layout won't be changing...no worries.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you....(virtual "we-are-not-worthy"
bows in your direction...)

Fred

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:04:40 -0400, The Lasombra
<TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Please leave the rest of the layout alone, but prevent this issue from
>ever occuring again. The cards should look like they were laid out by
>a professional, ie someone with enough attention to detail to not only
>look at each card alone, but at the cards in the set side by side and
>as a whole. The interns that have been allowed to layout the last
>sets need to move on to tasks more suited their skills, like broom
>pushing.

Heh. Funny to see that the "internship folklore" (i.e., they serve
just for simple work that "real pros" don't want to do anymore) suits
other cultures ;)

Jokes aside, for the little I know of design and printing issues, the
misplacement of the discipline symbols could be as much a result of a
bad choice of publishing bureau than a lack of organization or clear
and tight template in the designer/art director's part. So no matter
how much I don't like these misplacements too, some leniency (nice to
learn another cool word...) is needed in these cases.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V for Vendetta on the big screen!
http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:
> I humbly request that you hire a professional copy editor to review the
> texts for all cards in any subsequent set. Perhaps that is done
> already, but invariably it seems like there are small mistakes in every
> set.

I am unaware of any that crept into, for example, KMW. What am I overlooking?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote:
> jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:
>> I humbly request that you hire a professional copy editor to review
>> the texts for all cards in any subsequent set. Perhaps that is done
>> already, but invariably it seems like there are small mistakes in
>> every set.
>
> I am unaware of any that crept into, for example, KMW.
> What am I overlooking?

You misspelled 'targeted' on Warning Sirens. ;)

> LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

Mike Chaney <mikec@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and
> I am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES. The first set
> you'll probably see my "handy work" will be the new Legacies of Blood
> set...although I have had a hand in the design and layout on every set
> since Camarilla.
>
> I hope to be posting a "preferred artist" thread in the upcoming
> weeks, so be prepared to list your 10 favorite VTES artists.

What happened to the Goth chick?

> Mike Chaney
> Art Director Vampire: The Eternal Struggle & the World of Darkness

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

Carl

"Frederick Scott" <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote
> PLEASE promise us you'll leave the card layout ALONE!!!
> (My one and only important request from WW's Art Director.)

I liked the original layout but can live with the current one. But a third
would just look tawdry.

Kevin M. wrote:
> LSJ <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote:
>
>>jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:
>>
>>>I humbly request that you hire a professional copy editor to review
>>>the texts for all cards in any subsequent set. Perhaps that is done
>>>already, but invariably it seems like there are small mistakes in
>>>every set.
>>
>>I am unaware of any that crept into, for example, KMW.
>>What am I overlooking?
>
> You misspelled 'targeted' on Warning Sirens. ;)

Nice one. Thanks.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

A.J.Behrends wrote:
> I'd like to suggest reviewing the font size.
>
> IMHO there's no reason to use the same font size
> on all cards (in the text field), when text length
> differs between 1 and 30+ words.
>
> In some circumstances its painful to decipher the text
> due to the chosen small font, but might not be necessary
> if it's only something like 'Press, only usable ...'.

I would not really like to have different font sizes depending on the
amount of text in card textboxes, since that would give a less
professional look to VTES cards (like happened in Jyhad).

I think unity should take precedece in this case.

--

Damnans
http://www.almadrava.net/damnans

Damnans wrote:
> A.J.Behrends wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest reviewing the font size.
> >
> > IMHO there's no reason to use the same font size
> > on all cards (in the text field), when text length
> > differs between 1 and 30+ words.
> >
> > In some circumstances its painful to decipher the text
> > due to the chosen small font, but might not be necessary
> > if it's only something like 'Press, only usable ...'.
>
> I would not really like to have different font sizes depending on the
> amount of text in card textboxes, since that would give a less
> professional look to VTES cards (like happened in Jyhad).
>
> I think unity should take precedece in this case.

If you really want them to look nice, then maybe we should remove that
whole ugly text box thingie altogether and just display the art! :)

It's always nice when an art director recognizes that the top priority
is for the cards to be functional in the game. Generally, I think art
directors aren't familiar enough with the TCG functionality and make
decisions for the look of the cards (such as the new clan backgrounds,
small group numbers and large set symbols, uniformly small card text
even when space permits larger and *more visible* text, card names not
flush with the left side of the card in CE, and so on).

Like A.J., I'd have preferred the card texts to grow when they have
room to.

-Robert

On 26 May 2005 09:43:38 -0700, Damnans <damnansvtes@ono.com> wrote:

> A.J.Behrends wrote:
>> I'd like to suggest reviewing the font size.
>>
>> IMHO there's no reason to use the same font size
>> on all cards (in the text field), when text length
>> differs between 1 and 30+ words.
>>
>> In some circumstances its painful to decipher the text
>> due to the chosen small font, but might not be necessary
>> if it's only something like 'Press, only usable ...'.
>
> I would not really like to have different font sizes depending on the
> amount of text in card textboxes, since that would give a less
> professional look to VTES cards (like happened in Jyhad).
>
> I think unity should take precedece in this case.

I agree. Whether the individual cards look cool or not is one issue. But
in your hand, in the play field you will likely have more than a single
card. In that case consistency in looks (or what's left of it) is
important.

--
Bye,

Daneel

On 26 May 2005 11:26:49 -0700, "Robert Goudie" <robertg@vtesinla.org>
scrawled:
> large set symbols,

this is one thing i haven't liked about recent expansions (KMW seems
to have toned it down a little). especially on crypt cards. looking at
them, you'd think the set the card came from was more important than
the clan they were in....

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

kelly

> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
> am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES.

I'd like to make one request.

Ability text on Malkavians can be almost unreadable. Any text in bold
(titles, Red List, etc) is fine. But taking Petaniqua for example, the
background pattern washes out all other text. I have to strain my eyes
to read it. Some of the other Malkavians have this problme as well.
The more text in the box = the smaller point size on the text = the
bigger headache gained reading the card.

This probably occurs with other clans and their background art as well,
but the Malkavian's background art is among the busiest.

Kelly

Carl

> to have toned it down a little). especially on crypt cards. looking at
> them, you'd think the set the card came from was more important than
> the clan they were in....
> salem

ditto!

salem wrote:
> On 26 May 2005 11:26:49 -0700, "Robert Goudie" <robertg@vtesinla.org>
> scrawled:
>
>>large set symbols,
>

> this is one thing i haven't liked about recent expansions (KMW seems
> to have toned it down a little). especially on crypt cards. looking at
> them, you'd think the set the card came from was more important than
> the clan they were in....

Agreed. Clan symbols should be larger than expansion symbols (which
should not draw too much attention, since they have nothing to do
with the game mechanics).

--
Damnans

http://www.almadrava.net/damnans
http://www.vtes.net

pat

Expert

"Kelly" <texasfanboy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and I
>> am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES.
>
> I'd like to make one request.
>
> Ability text on Malkavians can be almost unreadable. Any text in bold
> (titles, Red List, etc) is fine. But taking Petaniqua for example, the
> background pattern washes out all other text. I have to strain my eyes
> to read it. Some of the other Malkavians have this problme as well.
> The more text in the box = the smaller point size on the text = the
> bigger headache gained reading the card.
>
> This probably occurs with other clans and their background art as well,
> but the Malkavian's background art is among the busiest.
>
> Kelly

FWIW, I heartily agree re the text box on Malkavians... new Lasombra are the
second worst offenders in this regard, IMO.

Pat

Kevin M. a écrit :
> Mike Chaney <mikec@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>I thought I'd pop by and introduce myself. My name is Mike Chaney and
>>I am the new Art Director/Graphic Designer for VTES. The first set
>>you'll probably see my "handy work" will be the new Legacies of Blood
>>set...although I have had a hand in the design and layout on every set
>>since Camarilla.
>>
>>I hope to be posting a "preferred artist" thread in the upcoming
>>weeks, so be prepared to list your 10 favorite VTES artists.
>

> What happened to the Goth chick?

you must mean "Goth Chic" ...