Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

What is max upgrade p4/478pin processor for acser aspire 1703sc desktop/laptop

Tags:
  • Acer
  • Aspire
  • Laptops
  • Desktops
  • Processors
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
January 9, 2012 1:54:30 PM

hi,what is max p4/478 pin processor upgrade i can fit to my old acer aspire 1703sc desktop/laptop without affecting the system adversly .manual states 3.06g or higher-system currantly on 2.66ghz /80gb harddrive.would appreciate comments as to wether increasing processor value would be of much use ? thankyou.

More about : max upgrade 478pin processor acser aspire 1703sc desktop laptop

January 9, 2012 3:39:43 PM

Nah. Going from a 2.66 to 3.06 is a 0.40 (15%) increase.
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2012 4:59:47 PM

It would be a worthless upgrade. Plus the P4 3.06 Ghz's get quite hot (which may lead to system instability if installed incorrectly).

If I were you I would save up for money for a brand new build. The P4 is about 4-5 generations behind in terms of CPU power/speed.
Related resources
January 10, 2012 1:23:48 PM

DXRick said:
Nah. Going from a 2.66 to 3.06 is a 0.40 (15%) increase.

hi,thanks for advice ,this is an old unit but i love the large 17" screen ,hate the modern widescreen,will stay as we are ,thanks again.
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2012 1:39:13 PM

Desknote is a dead size class of computer. Upgrade to newer laptop and use external screen. But when you use it on the move, you will be using the laptop's screen. There are plenty of 17" laptop on the market but they are 16:9. You have to get used to 16:9. I don't think there are any new laptop with 4:3 screen any more unless it is some expensive and low spec durable laptop build for companies and the military.
January 10, 2012 1:42:32 PM

Chainzsaw said:
It would be a worthless upgrade. Plus the P4 3.06 Ghz's get quite hot (which may lead to system instability if installed incorrectly).

If I were you I would save up for money for a brand new build. The P4 is about 4-5 generations behind in terms of CPU power/speed.

hi,thanks for advice, cannot really afford rebuild sounds exspensive ,thought this might speed up things a bit, thats the pit fall of staying with an older unit. there are several versions in the acer aspire 1700 range ,clearly the 3.06 ghz version comes with different build components, the analogy being if you put a 3LTR ENGINE IN WITHOUT UPGRADING BRAKES YOU WILL CRASH,once again many thanks for advice.
January 11, 2012 8:53:04 AM

Pyree said:
Desknote is a dead size class of computer. Upgrade to newer laptop and use external screen. But when you use it on the move, you will be using the laptop's screen. There are plenty of 17" laptop on the market but they are 16:9. You have to get used to 16:9. I don't think there are any new laptop with 4:3 screen any more unless it is some expensive and low spec durable laptop build for companies and the military.

hi,i absolutely agree with you but as a pensioner i do prefer the 4.3 screen and at 7kg it is heavy but solid certainly aimed initialy at companies .The valuable advice everyone has given is gratefully recieved,and given me food for thought ,many thanks to all who have contributed their expertise.
January 16, 2012 1:34:56 PM

hi,just a thought-my 1703sc is a desktop/laptop aimed at commercial users using desktop stand alone internals (like a 31/2"hard drive)would an upgaded processor therefore overheat since this is not a standard laptop useing a 2 1/2"hard drive.
January 16, 2012 4:16:30 PM

If it only has 512mb RAM, upgrading to 2G would really help performance.
January 18, 2012 1:05:50 PM

DXRick said:
If it only has 512mb RAM, upgrading to 2G would really help performance.

hi,thanks for that,yes i do only have 512 ram (max on this i know is only 2gb)i will look to upgrade.just leaves me with possibly upgading the processor which i am going to press acer about.
January 18, 2012 3:44:43 PM

The problem with upgrading the processor is faster ones may run too hot for a laptop. I wonder if they under-volted or under-clocked that P4 2.6 one.

My P4 3.0 Northwood ran so hot that I had to replace the stock fan with this behemoth Zalman one. How they can cool such a CPU in a laptop is beyond me.
January 20, 2012 12:28:40 PM

DXRick said:
The problem with upgrading the processor is faster ones may run too hot for a laptop. I wonder if they under-volted or under-clocked that P4 2.6 one.

My P4 3.0 Northwood ran so hot that I had to replace the stock fan with this behemoth Zalman one. How they can cool such a CPU in a laptop is beyond me.

hi,currantly waiting for acer to respond to enquiry regarding max possible processor upgrade for my 1703sc ,could be that only a different 1700 series can operate at 3.06 or more i certainly dont want the problem you have had with running a p4 3.0 northwood.
January 20, 2012 4:58:28 PM

You only have two options, Prescott or Northwood. Prescott runs hotter than Northwood, which is why I chose it. The max you can get is a P4 3.4 Northwood.
January 22, 2012 9:10:25 AM

DXRick said:
You only have two options, Prescott or Northwood. Prescott runs hotter than Northwood, which is why I chose it. The max you can get is a P4 3.4 Northwood.

thankyou for info,certainly acer recommended northwood or intel celoron in 2003!!! however, your input to my enquiry has been appreciated. acer help is woefull THERE IS NONE apparently they delete info on units over a certain age!!!! my serial no is no longer recorded so no positve help there. IN FACT acer cant decide if this is a desktop or notebook i despair.
January 22, 2012 6:16:00 PM

I have nothing else to say that is remotely intelligent on this. Good luck!