ATI 9500 Pro Issue

Sleeper

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I just installed the above card in my system. I notice distortion/wavy lines/interfence like lines on the monitor. They come and go - sometimes intense, sometimes faint. I have updated video drivers and I am using an Antec TruePower 430W (to ensure enough power is supplied to the card and devices). This does not happen on old GeForce2 card (I am not dogging any cards - just an observation). I was wondering if anybody is having this problem? I am wondering if the fans in the case are causing this problem or the CPU fan could be contributing. Anybody else experienced this from an ATI card?

selfbuilt

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
The issue is well known with the newer ATI cards, although it doesn't seem to affect everyone. I've only experienced it in the 60Hz-256 color mode on my Radeon 9500 Pro (which, needless to say, I don't run at :).

The general solutions for the problem seem to be to try varying the refresh rate you are using (e.g. 85Hz instead of 100, etc.), or connect your monitor through the adapter to the DVI port. Apparently that later solution solves the problem for those who try it.

Where does good judgement come from? Experience. Where does experience come from? Bad judgement.

Sleeper

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Actually, I tried variying the refresh rate and display settings - same result. I did shut off two case fans near the PC and that seemed to work for a while. However, I did notice it appear again, although very faintly, for a few seconds and then go away. I could try the DVI, though. Thanks for the suggestion.