Problem with simple Win98SE network

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Simple network:
2 pc with Acer nics 10/100
1 Links hub
25 feet good quality cable
Worked at first setup, now have lost it and can't get it back and of course do not know what happened.
How should this simple setup be cong.
All DD are set to "shared" in prop.
No conflicts with cards or other errs.
What is the protocol to use:
-Individual windows sesssion
-windows network session
-windows logon
Also Filesharing and printer is enabled.
The hubs lights just don't give the connecting flashes as it should?
Any suggestions for this config.
Thanks

A little gray humanoid plus a case of probes with that sir?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
The 2 pcs are'nt talking together and wanted to know the protocols to add and what logon to us and any other congiguration settings to use for a simple file sharing windows network.
Will probably remove all installed network components from "my network neigborhood" and reinstall. All except the two nics, they seem to be well installed.

A little gray humanoid plus a case of probes with that sir?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, assuming cables ok

install tcp/ip and file&print sharing
easiest way is to assign a ip to each box if you only have 2, set one to 192.168.1.1 and one to 192.168.1.2, set both subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 and ensure they have the SAME workgroup name but DIFFERENT computer name, you may have to reboot a couple of times when you change these settings. share a folder on each. that is basically it, tho be aware that network neighbourhood sometimes takes AGES to display networked pc's. Easiest way to check connectivity is to try and ping each other. if ping gets a response, try putting the computername in the addressbar- i.e. \\computer1 where computer1 is the the OTHER pc

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Quick question CALV.

I realise the reasoning for putting the different IP address on the two systems, but as this is a P-P with a crossover cable (I assume), why have them. I thought IP addressing was only really for routing, and these will be networking by MAC address. Hmmm. I just realised. You have to enable TCP/IP for this to work. I'm getting closer.

Could you explain?

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Actually I was wondering about the ip adressing. My first attempt at this simple
nic----hub----nic network worked with the ip adressing configuration on "set an ip adresse automatically", and all lines below where then grayed out.
Have tried removing all "clients", "protocols" and "services", only keeping adapters as these seem to be properly installed, then reinstall. Still no go.
Will now try the "netdiag" prog from the dos prompt and see what comes back.
Will also try the manual ip adressing mentionned earlier, but do not understand wy this is necessary.

SHE HAD ALL THE MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE IN HER DEEP BLUE EYES!

You have to have a couple of protocols in your network. Protocols are how hosts communicate. "TCP/IP challenge handshake"...meaning a three way handshake. Sender initiates communication. Receiver confirms ready to receive. Sender sends data.

You need TCP/IP. Not sure if you need to have the Microsoft family Logon enabled or the other one. Try either, but you so need to have both systems on the same workgroup!!!

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
CALV, this is not working!
Have tried the manuel ip adressing, no go.
Have removed all protocols, clients etc even adapters and let Win98 autodetect and reinstalled all drivers , protocols , still no go.
The 2 pcs just don't SEE each other.
Have tried the NET DIAG utility from a dos window with the IPX and also the NETBEUI protocols and get a "no connection" result.
What is wrong here?
Last resort: remove nic cards and change PCI slots. But this should not be necessary!
Getting desperate...

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Ok, network is back.
Really not sure what is going on and that is the disturbing part. But, it is up and running.
All strait forward install.
All strait forward protocal, client and services install.
File and printer sharing configured.
Main session is windows network.
Stardard PCI nics and hub all 10/100.
Standard 10/100 cabling.
All I did was deconnect cabling from hub and play around with different connections , then returned to original and presto!
Perhaps a bad connection to hub or the hub is going, it did fall on a had surface. Will keep cheking.
Thanks all again.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Hi, Sorry I wasnt around at the weekend, normally come here from work only. Glad you got it sorted though.

camieabz:
when your settings are set to automatic, windows will look for a dhcp server, if none is found it will assign an ip of 169.x.x.x , so I suppose if you had 2 box's buth set to automatic then assuming 2 similar ip's were "issued" then it would work. I'd definately reccomend setting them manually though if no dhcp server is on the network.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
One of the sys must have a bad Win install. At one point IPX protocol was installed then ``dissapered``. Also this same sys keap asking the Win disk for simple protocol changes when these were already in the ``installed`` list.
Will keep and eye on that sys.
Thanks