Orginal Sabbat set is now up

I had mentioned a while back that I would be getting rid of my last set
of VTES cards and I saved the best for last. I know some of the people
in this group mentioned that they might be interested in the set so I
thought I would mention that I listed it on ebay Sunday June 5th.
Enjoy!

Ebay item number is 5205667730 and my id is Mykbuckley to help you
search, although searching for "original sabbat set" will probably get
you there the quickest.

Thanks!
Mike
49 answers Last reply
More about orginal sabbat

    Is that the proper way to address people? Dude?

    I just some of the folks on here might be interested in a set of the
    old Sabbat. I am out of the game so I will never have the need to post
    on here again. I would think you would notice the "last set" comment so
    it's fairly obvious that I wouldn't have the need to post here again.
    Thanks for being so nice to me, I will have fond memories of the
    attitudes of the VTES community.

    Mike wrote:

    > I had mentioned a while back that I would be getting rid of my last set
    > of VTES cards and I saved the best for last. I know some of the people
    > in this group mentioned that they might be interested in the set so I
    > thought I would mention that I listed it on ebay Sunday June 5th.
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > Ebay item number is 5205667730 and my id is Mykbuckley to help you
    > search, although searching for "original sabbat set" will probably get
    > you there the quickest.

    Dude. This is not the place for sales posts. Really. Post on the VTES
    trade/sales list serve. Or alt.games.jyhad.

    Not here.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil

    Mike wrote:

    > Is that the proper way to address people? Dude?

    Yes. Yes it is.

    > I just some of the folks on here might be interested in a set of the
    > old Sabbat. I am out of the game so I will never have the need to post
    > on here again. I would think you would notice the "last set" comment so
    > it's fairly obvious that I wouldn't have the need to post here again.
    > Thanks for being so nice to me, I will have fond memories of the
    > attitudes of the VTES community.

    It isn't a matter of being nice. The newsgroup has rules. One of the rules
    is no posts of sales and/or trade posts. You may or may not have known this.
    But you also didn't bother to find out. And you posted a sales/trade post.
    So I pointed out that this wasn't the place for it. 'Cause I'm a dick. And I
    like pointing out when people aren't following the rules. As it helps other
    people know what the rules are.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil

    Peter D Bakija May 29, 12:54 pm Wrote:

    Just checking in--there are still most of the KMW starter only vampires

    available from The Lasombra. Yeah, ok, Rabbat, Sewer Goddess is sold
    out,
    but she is clearly the chase starter only vampire that you want, like,
    8 of
    to build a deck out of (so it is very likely all of her sold to, like,
    1 or
    2 people). But other than that, all of the other SO Vampires are still
    available.

    Just sticking my nose in where it does'nt belong BUT......Could someone
    not missread your prior post as commercial for Lasombra's card site? I
    mean not ME to be sure, but maybe ol' Mike there might have thought it
    was ok. Eh, whatever, he sure knows now though.

    ***JediMike***

    Mike a écrit :
    > Is that the proper way to address people? Dude?
    >
    > I just some of the folks on here might be interested in a set of the
    > old Sabbat. I am out of the game so I will never have the need to post
    > on here again. I would think you would notice the "last set" comment so
    > it's fairly obvious that I wouldn't have the need to post here again.
    > Thanks for being so nice to me, I will have fond memories of the
    > attitudes of the VTES community.

    Well, it has nothing to do with the VTES community.
    This newsgroup is not appropriate for posting commercial - business -
    sales of all sort. Period.
    Don't take it as a personnal offence. Do you think that the cop telling
    you not to throw your garbage by the car window is trying to make you
    feel bad of driving your car again ? May you imagine he, on the
    contrary, is preventing other people from receiving the garbage in the
    face ?

    JediMike wrote:
    >>Just sticking my nose in where it does'nt belong BUT>>

    Always a good idea.

    >>......Could someone not missread your prior post as commercial for Lasombra's card site? >>

    I'm sure they could if they wanted to and hadn't been paying attention.

    >> I mean not ME to be sure, but maybe ol' Mike there might have thought it
    was ok. Eh, whatever, he sure knows now though.>>

    Yeah, he might have. He also may have thought the lengthy thread from
    last week about how it was not ok to post trade and sales posts on the
    newsgroup was an indication that he shouldn't post sales and trade
    posts on the newsgroup. But I don't think either is the case here.

    In reference to my own post that you are snarkily bringing up, weeks
    and weeks ago, there was a lengthy discussion about how starter only
    vampires were completely unavailable for purchase online, and how that
    was bad for the player base. I was simply pointing out that, months
    after KMW came out, the starter only vampires are still available as
    singles online. Not 'cause I am particularly interested in people
    actually buying them, but 'cause I am interested in pointing out that
    they are available.

    -Peter

    I felt this was the best group to post to as it has the highest
    concentration of players.

    You should appreciate any activity in this newsgroup, as far as I can
    tell, participation has been lacking of late. The sales/trading is a
    huge part of the game, so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I am
    not a store that posts once a day or even once a year. And I am
    certainly not a spammer that posts something fifty times in a day,
    everyday. I didn't post any huge card lists, prices or even a link to
    my ebay auction. I just mentioned there is an auction for a set of
    original sabbat, simple as that. And only because I had asked a while
    back about people being interested in buying a set and I had lots of
    this group in the first place.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > felt this was the best group to post to as it has the highest
    concentration of players.

    Aw dude. Now this is just turning into a comedy routine.

    Yes. This does have the highest concentration of players. Which is why
    it is the perfect place to make sales posts. And which is exactly why
    they aren't allowed. 'Cause if they were, this place would likely be
    nothing *but* sales posts.

    >You should appreciate any activity in this newsgroup, as far as I can
    >tell, participation has been lacking of late.

    Based on what, exactly? Clearly, you don't pay attention to this
    newsgroup that well, as otherwise you'd know that sales and trade posts
    aren't allowed. This newsgroup has a good deal of regular, on topic
    traffic. 'Cause the newsgroup is kept on topic. And the newsgroup is
    not filled with sales posts.

    Really. Don't show up here, break the rules, and then be like "But it
    was *good* that I broke the rules..." It's uncouth.

    >The sales/trading is a huge part of the game,

    Yes. Yes it is. Which is why there are multiple trading websites, a
    trade/sales list serve, and going on to e-bay and searching for "VTES",
    all of which specifically exist to facilitate sales and trading. This
    newsgroup, however, does not. As much as you think it should.

    >so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal.

    It isn't a big deal. It just isn't allowed. 'Cause if it is, the
    newsgroup likely becomes a cesspool of trade/sales posts, and the
    ability to actually carry on a conversation about things that aren't
    sales and trading becomes greatly compromised.

    >I am not a store that posts once a day or even once a year.

    Doesn't really matter who you are.

    >And I am certainly not a spammer that posts something fifty times in a day,
    >everyday. I didn't post any huge card lists, prices or even a link to
    >my ebay auction. I just mentioned there is an auction for a set of
    >original sabbat, simple as that.

    And also as simple as that--it isn't allowed on this group. It isn't a
    big deal. No one is going to fire bomb your house or anything. Really.
    Just don't post sales/trade posts here. As it isn't the appropriate
    place. There are appropriate places. This just isn't one of them.

    -Peter
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    I checked the google stats and it shows that the month of May 2005 was
    the lowest since back in 2001. Seems like the activity was down, but
    Google could have been wrong I suppose.

    I will most definitely lose money on this deal as I have around $300
    into this set, so it isn't profit motivated. I just thought someone
    would enjoy owning this more than me.

    People who are going to post sales aren't going to research whether it
    is ok or not. So, isn't this just a fruitless effort?

    You keep telling me not to post sale/trade posts here. I already
    explained that this set is my last, so I obviously won't be posting
    here in that manner again.

    I obviously have no regard for the rules of this group and I guess I
    can apologize for that but I can't change the way I feel.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > checked the google stats and it shows >that the month of May 2005 was
    >the lowest since back in 2001. Seems like >the activity was down, but
    >Google could have been wrong I suppose.

    You went and checked goole stats before you posted, thinking you were
    somehow doing us a favor? Why, instead, did you not just go and check
    the group FAQ?

    >I will most definitely lose money on this >deal as I have around $300
    >into this set, so it isn't profit motivated. I >just thought someone
    >would enjoy owning this more than me.

    That is very noble of you. It still doesn't make it ok.

    >People who are going to post sales aren't >going to research whether it
    >is ok or not. So, isn't this just a fruitless >effort?

    It is never a fruitless effort to make sure folks know the rules. You
    might not know the rules. You might not care about the rules. But
    perhaps somone who might care might see this, and learn.

    >You keep telling me not to post sale/trade >posts here. I already
    >explained that this set is my last, so I >obviously won't be posting
    >here in that manner again.

    That isn't obvious at all. Who knows what you have or what your motives
    are. All that is really relevant is that sales and trade posts are not
    appropriate for this forum. By pointing this out, you are now aware,
    and others are now aware.

    >I obviously have no regard for the rules of >this group and I guess I
    >can apologize for that but I can't change >the way I feel.

    The only thing anyone is asking you to do is not post trade/sales posts
    on this group. That is all.

    -Peter
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Note all the common spammer tactics used by "Mike", a person who I've
    never seen here before.

    Mike wrote:
    | I felt this was the best group to post to as it has the highest
    | concentration of players.

    - -- EVADING THE ISSUE; note none of Peter's message was quoted, nor did
    "Mike" attempt to address the inappropriateness of sales posts in this
    group.

    - -- MIS-STATING FACTS; the highest concentration of players who are
    interested in buying cards are on the "sale" sites, as anyone who spent
    a moment's thought and/or research would discover. However, the "sale"
    sites also tend to contain mostly experienced buyers... hmmm...

    | You should appreciate any activity in this newsgroup, as far as I can
    | tell, participation has been lacking of late. The sales/trading is a

    - -- DISTRACTION; conduct false ad hominem attacks against the population
    of a quite-active newsgroup in order to draw attention away from his own
    spam.

    | huge part of the game, so I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. I am

    - -- MINIMIZATION; try to make light of the issue in an attempt to
    convince everyone that it's not such a big deal, therefore he's not THAT
    bad a person, right?

    | not a store that posts once a day or even once a year. And I am
    | certainly not a spammer that posts something fifty times in a day,

    - -- STRAWMAN; hold up examples of fictional "worse" posters and vilify
    the examples, even though none such exist on this group.

    | everyday. I didn't post any huge card lists, prices or even a link to
    | my ebay auction. I just mentioned there is an auction for a set of

    - -- DISTRACTION; he didn't post an HTML link because those can be
    auto-filtered by Bayesian (and other) spam catchers if the recipient
    wishes. What he posted was near-identical:

    "Ebay item number is [censored to avoid helping spammer]"

    .... There's not much difference between clicking once and copy-n-pasting
    the item #. Also revisited his STRAWMAN by mentioning all the evils he
    "could" have done.

    | original sabbat, simple as that. And only because I had asked a while
    | back about people being interested in buying a set and I had lots of
    | this group in the first place.

    - -- The ALREADY OPTED-IN maneuver; somewhere in your spam, claim that
    people have somehow granted you the right to send them the spam, whether
    or not they actually have done so. Given the typical response to sales
    posts in this group, I think we can all draw our own conclusions about
    the truth of "Mike"'s statement.

    Remember folks; never buy from spammers, especially unknown ones. It
    simply encourages people to spam in the first place... and it's also the
    best way to get scammed, if the spammer happens to be of that category.

    - --
    Derek

    insert clever quotation here

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    FALSE ALTRUISM: "I'm just doing this to help others!" My ass.

    It's actually true that I will lose money. Didn't say it will help
    anyone, just thought they would enjoy it more than me.

    SELECTIVE FACTS: Even if the "google stats" are correct, a single
    month
    taken alone proves little; it's spring, people go outside, etc. If
    March, April, AND May were all down, that would be more of an accurate

    No, you are wrong again there. The posts from 2002 to 2003 are down 7%
    and then from 2003 to 2004 another 7% down in posts. Posts are down
    about 1,300 this year from last(from Jan-May).

    Derek, didn't I buy some of the cards to complete my set from you?
    Can't remember, it's been so long since I have bought. I am sure many
    people in this group contributed to the completetion of this set. Give
    yourselves a pat on tha back if you sold cards to me over the years!

    I don't think I fit any official definition of spammer, if there is
    one, but whatever you say Derek. Anyone who wants to check my ebay
    feedback rating should feel pretty comfortable knowing I am not a
    scammer in any way, shape or form.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    > Aw dude. Now this is just turning into a comedy routine.

    Thank god! If we have to have these posts, we might as well make it
    entertaining.

    Look Mike, PLEASE just don't post sale or trade articles, because it is
    not appropriate. In the nicest way this is all I'm trying to say.

    ***JediMike***
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Look Mike, PLEASE just don't post sale or trade articles, because it
    is
    not appropriate. In the nicest way this is all I'm trying to say. "

    Now see, that's all it needed. Well put. I appreciate this kind of
    courtesy and it goes a long way opposed to irritating me. If I am
    irritated, I am less likely to respond positively, hence I will post
    again (although I don't have any more cards to sell, sniff). However,
    when told in this fashion, I will say, "I don't want to ruffle any of
    these nice peeps feathers, so I will post elsewhere."

    Farewell cruel world of darkness!
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    All is good, but this guy has been given more bits than he's worth and
    gotten the thread pushed to the top 20 odd times now.

    Jeff
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Note more spammer tactics.

    Mike wrote:
    | I checked the google stats and it shows that the month of May 2005 was
    | the lowest since back in 2001. Seems like the activity was down, but
    | Google could have been wrong I suppose.

    SELECTIVE FACTS: Even if the "google stats" are correct, a single month
    taken alone proves little; it's spring, people go outside, etc. If
    March, April, AND May were all down, that would be more of an accurate
    indicator.

    However, the real flaw in this is seen below...

    | I will most definitely lose money on this deal as I have around $300
    | into this set, so it isn't profit motivated. I just thought someone
    | would enjoy owning this more than me.

    FALSE ALTRUISM: "I'm just doing this to help others!" My ass.

    | People who are going to post sales aren't going to research whether it
    | is ok or not. So, isn't this just a fruitless effort?

    PRECONCEIVED NOTION: "It's useless anyway, why try?" Demonstrably the
    wrong attitude to take, but one a spammer would really like to see
    occur... everyone just casually ignoring it.

    ....and HYPOCRISY: "People posting sales aren't going to research" ...
    yet he went out and looked at Google Stats? That looks like some pretty
    key research to me. Of course, people ARE going to do the research as
    to where their product will sell the best -- and that research would
    indicate "the trade/sales sites", where there are tons of potential
    buyers. Not a USENET group, which has tons of potential readers.

    | You keep telling me not to post sale/trade posts here. I already
    | explained that this set is my last, so I obviously won't be posting
    | here in that manner again.

    EX POST FACTO EXCUSE: "I can't do it again, so just excuse this one
    time." Of course, we all know how easy it is to say you don't have any
    more cards, and then suddenly "find" some in the attic.

    | I obviously have no regard for the rules of this group and I guess I
    | can apologize for that but I can't change the way I feel.

    FALSE APOLOGY: Even though the spammer sneaks the words "I apologize"
    in, you can tell that he isn't really sorry, he just doesn't want to
    take the heat and hopes that people will sweep it under the rug and give
    him their money.

    As always.. if you buy from a spammer, you help perpetuate the practice.
    ~ Force these guys to put stuff where it belongs -- IGNORE him. Someone
    will buy his set anyway (he's obviously advertised in more places than
    just here), but because of the nature of the eBay model, fewer people
    bidding will effectively still lower his profit.

    - --
    Derek

    insert clever quotation here

  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "reyda" <true_reyda@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > pdb6@lightlink.com a écrit :
    >> Yes. This does have the highest concentration of players. Which is why
    >> it is the perfect place to make sales posts. And which is exactly why
    >> they aren't allowed. 'Cause if they were, this place would likely be
    >> nothing *but* sales posts.
    >
    > You are going pessimistic here.
    > Mike was just selling stuff, and its something which may be valuable in a player's eye (a much sougth after sabbat set, for
    > instance).
    >
    > I understand everyone here is a little nervous, especially after the Ferenci incident.
    >
    > But i know Mike and there is no malignity in his words here.
    > He's just astonished by the level of the epidemic reaction you guys have.

    There's some reasons for that which can be predicted if one would take the
    time to use a little common sense. You also have to understand that each
    newsgroup has a charter and that charter defines the expectation readers have
    of poster topicality. That may be a thing which frequently causes astonishment
    in guys like Mike and people should take it into account when they respond to
    such an incident. Still, once Mike knows that it exists, he should be able to
    predict the rest of the reaction.

    Peter is right: the fact that the newsgroup contains a concentration of players
    is precisely the point. Yes, such an audience would obviously have more in
    a post like that ON AVERAGE than, say, a random audience. But what pisses
    people off is that it's a CAPTIVE audience for commercial posters. The
    charter is how a newsgroup defines whether it does or does not expect to
    tolerate commerical postings and it should be consulted before making one.
    In fact, if nothing is said in the newsgroup charter, age-old Usenet tradition
    states that commercial posts are off-topic for a given newsgroup. Usenet
    newsgroups were originally invented and intended for intellectual discussion,
    not to facilitate buyers and sellers finding each other. Obviously, they can
    be used for that purpose as well but the character of such newsgroup traffic
    is completely different.

    Either way, upon learning the expectation, there needs to be no further debate
    about it. Certainly the attitude that, "I'm gonna do it and I don't care what
    anyone says." will tend to provoke others. This is a surprise? How?

    > He maybe not aware about the previous "incidents" that degenerated in a flame thread up there.

    He didn't have to be. The previously incident is not directly germaine to why
    Mike is now getting flamed. See above.

    > Understand that he's a player, and much the critics i read here he does not deserve.

    I think many people have good and bad attitudes about many different aspects
    of their lives. You might think me a total jerk about one thing (clearing
    out an early Pentex Subversion my predator stuck on my grand-predator, for
    instance ;-) ) yet a pretty reasonable guy where most other things are
    concerned. I imagine Mike falls into that category and I'm glad to hear it.
    The subject of THIS discussion, however, is his attitude about sales posts.

    Fred
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    | FALSE ALTRUISM: "I'm just doing this to help others!" My ass.
    |
    | It's actually true that I will lose money. Didn't say it will help
    | anyone, just thought they would enjoy it more than me.

    It is not actually true... YET. You could easily make more than $300
    (your investment claim) via the auction. Your only means of doing so is
    to spread the word as far and wide as you possibly can; hence the spam.

    | SELECTIVE FACTS: Even if the "google stats" are correct, a single
    | month
    | taken alone proves little; it's spring, people go outside, etc. If
    | March, April, AND May were all down, that would be more of an accurate
    |
    | No, you are wrong again there. The posts from 2002 to 2003 are down 7%

    No, I am absolutely correct in my statement that a single month proves
    little. Note how the spammer begins ad hominem attacks against issues
    that are irrelevant to his own spamming activity, in order to distract
    from the issue.

    | and then from 2003 to 2004 another 7% down in posts. Posts are down
    | about 1,300 this year from last(from Jan-May).

    That's it? And from this, you were able to determine:

    "You should appreciate any activity in this newsgroup"??

    That's an awfully blanket statement to make for only a 7% drop. I'd
    expect that people who have experienced a 75% drop might be grateful for
    any activity -- but just 7%? Not even close, and more indicative of
    your offhand attitude towards your prospective customers.

    It looks as though you could care less about any of the population here,
    except as far as their wallet's concerned. Oh boy, that's the kind of
    guy *I* want to buy stuff from... NOT.

    | Derek, didn't I buy some of the cards to complete my set from you?

    You did not, actually. I do not, and never have, sold any cards via the
    Internet. I have made exactly one purchase, from a person I already
    knew and had met in-person in North Carolina (hi Jordan).

    Note more ad hominem distractions and falsifications coming from the
    spammer. He knows he's never purchased cards from me; he's simply
    trying to draw attention away from his own spam.

    | Can't remember, it's been so long since I have bought. I am sure many
    | people in this group contributed to the completetion of this set. Give
    | yourselves a pat on tha back if you sold cards to me over the years!

    More "You deserved this! You helped me!" in an attempt to justify the spam.

    | I don't think I fit any official definition of spammer, if there is

    I'm sure all spammers would say the same thing.

    | one, but whatever you say Derek. Anyone who wants to check my ebay
    | feedback rating should feel pretty comfortable knowing I am not a
    | scammer in any way, shape or form.

    Perhaps you're not a scammer, but many spammers are. In any case, it
    still is worth remembering for everyone else:

    BUYING FROM SPAMMERS ENCOURAGES THE SPAM.
    DO YOUR PART. DON'T BUY FROM SPAMMED LINKS.

    - --
    Derek

    insert clever quotation here

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:

    > All is good, but this guy has been given more bits than he's worth and
    > gotten the thread pushed to the top 20 odd times now.

    Ahh, see--more reason to get a good newsreader program! There is no thread
    bumping! Either the thread exists or doesn't on the page, and if you look at
    the basic page with colapsed threads, you don't even see the 30 extra posts
    in a given thread, unless, ya know, you want to.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    not having any idea what the previous "situation" described was all
    about, I would not dare to comment on that. However. The entire
    preceding conversation is one of the most snot level ones I've ever had
    the misfortune of coming across. From the amount of text generated
    between the two protagonists, and the fact that this thread has now hit
    top 20 more than once, could it not be possible that both parties were
    involved in the sale, and using a highly acrimonios conversation to
    boost attention levels to this thread?

    Now while I know that very likely my theory above is wholly incorrect,
    I still fell the need to say something real simple to the two baning
    away at each other like a pair of old boxers: GROW UP!

    Discuss things politely, but try not to descend into a mudslinging
    competition. If he truly is a spammer, then neotrace his IP, and
    babywhale his box. If he's not, CHILL! Please?
    :)
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Fred, maybe you misunderstand my intention with the first part of the
    post. It was not to criticise any single person, but to try and
    highlight how ridculously out-of-proportion the thread had gotten. Do
    you honestly think that getting into a lengthy argument with a spammer,
    giving them greater free public exposure is helping? As Peter quite
    rightly said, the best way to kill spammers, is to ignore them(short of
    baby-whale). all i was trying to point out is that maybe he should have
    paid attention to the valuable advice he handed out?...
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    " Mike is new"

    Not totally new, the post below is from me back in my college days.
    Changed email when I left campus (May 2000). I didn't come back on here
    until early 2003, with this email address. Of course, you couldn't
    possibly have known that.

    Newsgroups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad
    From: "Cult Fiction Comics" <bh90...@semovm.semo.edu> - Find messages
    by this author
    Date: 1999/10/29
    Subject: Tomb of Ramses Question
    | Report Abuse

    I quit playing a long time ago and just started back up so what exactly
    does
    Tomb of Ramses do now? From the new card text it looks like it just
    gets a
    vampire out for half price and not the 2 for 1 like we used to
    use(abuse) it
    for.

    Mike
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    sandmage@gmail.com wrote:

    > not having any idea what the previous "situation" described was all
    > about, I would not dare to comment on that.

    Being as I'm involved in the discussion and I don't know what a previous
    "situation" is either, you got me. It might be a reference to a similar
    thread from last week, but who knows?

    > However. The entire
    > preceding conversation is one of the most snot level ones I've ever had
    > the misfortune of coming across.

    You must be new to usenet?

    > From the amount of text generated
    > between the two protagonists, and the fact that this thread has now hit
    > top 20 more than once,

    Yeah, see, again, with a nice newsreader program, this isn't an issue.

    > could it not be possible that both parties were
    > involved in the sale, and using a highly acrimonios conversation to
    > boost attention levels to this thread?

    Not even remotely. I'm not quite sure who you are considering as the two
    main protagonists are--clearly Mike is one. Derek or myself is likely the
    other. Mike is new. Derek and I are always here. Neither of us are involved
    in any such deal.

    > Now while I know that very likely my theory above is wholly incorrect,
    > I still fell the need to say something real simple to the two baning
    > away at each other like a pair of old boxers: GROW UP!

    Uh, dude? This is usenet. This is how the place works. Jumping into the
    middle of a conversation and telling folks to grow up (especially in all
    caps...) is likely just to get you flamed as well. I'm not saying I'll be
    doing any flaming, but, ya know, just pointing it out.

    > Discuss things politely, but try not to descend into a mudslinging
    > competition.

    Uh, yeah. No one ever thought of that before...

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    sandmage@gmail.com wrote:

    > Fred, maybe you misunderstand my intention with the first part of the
    > post. It was not to criticise any single person, but to try and
    > highlight how ridculously out-of-proportion the thread had gotten.

    We are all well aware of how ridiculously out of proportion the thread has
    gotten. But again, that is how things work in these situations.

    The thread could have gone like this:

    Post A: "I'm selling stuff!'
    Post B: "Don't do that."
    Post C: "Oh. Ok."

    And that would have been the end of it. But it didn't. And here we are. As
    that is how usenet works. And trying to circumvent how usenet works by
    virtue of saying "Hey! Cut that out!", especially when one is a up till now
    uninterested party, never works. Really.

    >Do
    > you honestly think that getting into a lengthy argument with a spammer,
    > giving them greater free public exposure is helping?

    Helping what? Helping him decide not to post more sales posts to avoid the
    hassle? Maybe. Helping other people decide not to make sales posts?
    Probably.

    > As Peter quite
    > rightly said, the best way to kill spammers, is to ignore them(short of
    > baby-whale).

    Yeah, that was Derek. I was just saying that this is an inappropriate place
    for sales and trade posts. 'Cause it is.

    > all i was trying to point out is that maybe he should have
    > paid attention to the valuable advice he handed out?...

    No one is ever surprised by the irony of their own situation. Not Derek. Not
    me. No one.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Derek Ray a écrit :

    > | He maybe not aware about the previous "incidents" that degenerated in a
    > | flame thread up there.
    >
    > Obviously he never bothers to read the group, so of course he wouldn't
    > be aware.

    on his defense i must say i don't read all the threads, some are not
    interesting or too "private joke-esque" for me to stop on them. simple :
    when i see Frederick the weak in the title, i skip :)

    > I don't personally take kindly to people who are only posting here
    > because they want to sell something. It strikes me as particularly
    > mercenary and spammy; the sort of impersonal crud disguised as "caring"
    > that infests our world today. So I call it out for what it is; it's
    > sales-spam. It's not the worst I've ever seen, no. But it is what it is.

    you are right on this one, i must admit.

    > | Understand that he's a player, and much the critics i read here he does
    > | not deserve.
    > | If Peter Bakija or Derek Ray decide to stop the game at some point, they
    > | may post their decision (alongside with card sale) in this newsgroup,
    >
    > No, I wouldn't. =) I'm not a big fan of big tear-jerker "ONE LAST PILE
    > OF ATTENTION" farewells.

    Come on ! Every methuselah is an attention whore ;)

    > (plus, I'd probably just give my cards away, honestly)

    I'm still hesitating on this, you know.
    But i would frustrate some people and create jealousy. You know, the
    "why did reyda give his cards to xxx and not me ? " reaction. Yes, i may
    well be that nevrosed :)
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Frederick Scott a écrit :

    > I think many people have good and bad attitudes about many different aspects
    > of their lives. You might think me a total jerk about one thing (clearing
    > out an early Pentex Subversion my predator stuck on my grand-predator, for
    > instance ;-) )

    excellent reference !

    this action just costed me a net 5 pool but i knew that since i helped
    Paul to build his deck the previous day ;)
    don't worry, you made choice and that's it, that game was over and
    forgotten the minute i began a new game :)
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    >Not totally new, the post below is from me back in my college days.
    >Changed email when I left campus (May 2000). I didn't come back on here
    >until early 2003, with this email address. Of course, you couldn't
    >possibly have known that.

    Huh. The bh90 e-mail looks vaguely familiar. What do ya know?

    It kind of cracks me up, however, that you are willing to do so much
    research for this particular discussion, but somehow either never read
    the newsgroup FAQ (posted aproximately monthly) or, ya know, did and
    didn't care (about, ya know, the "don't post sales and trade posts
    here" part).

    -Peter
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Mike" <mykbuckley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I obviously have no regard for the rules of this group and I guess I
    > can apologize for that but I can't change the way I feel.

    Well if you have no regard for the rules of the group, I sure as hell have
    no regard for you.

    Its a dog eat dog world out there and if you want help, pissing people off
    is the wrong way to
    going about it.

    Raille
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "willing to do so much research "

    Didn't take but a second to type in my old email address and grab an
    earlier post.
    When in Google, when you select a newsgroup you can hit "about this
    newsgroup" and it will give you all kinds of stats like top poster of
    all time, top poster of the month and monthly posting stats.

    Mike
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    >Didn't take but a second to type in my old email address and grab an
    >earlier post.

    Sure. I wouldn't have taken any more effort to find the FAQ...

    -Peter
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    I wrote:
    >Sure. I wouldn't have taken any more effort to find the FAQ...

    Clearly, that should have been:

    "Sure. *It* wouldn't..."

    Oh, the typos.

    -Peter
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    <sandmage@gmail.com> wrote in
    messagenews:1118107512.249371.118770@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Do you honestly think that getting into a lengthy argument with a spammer,
    > giving them greater free public exposure is helping?

    In Mike's place, quite possibly. Though I admit getting over-critical
    can be counter-productive. I'm regretting my reference to his
    that provocotive, all things considered. But the reason you argue with
    someone making those kinds of responses is not just to bring him into
    the fold (which you may or may not succeed at doing) but to also
    reinforce expectations for any other newer readers who may be seeing
    this issue dealt with for the first time.

    Fred
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Mike" <mykbuckley@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1118178513.117292.259000@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > I figure
    > four per year is acceptable, and these are under my guidelines of
    > acceptable, obviously not yours.

    The point is, they are not acceptable under the newsgroup charter.

    > I believe that the Usenet has a fine self-governing system

    It does: it's called, "Observing the charter so you don't cause a
    bunch of flame wars." If you don't do that, you cause long,
    annoying flame wars when people bicker about *THEIR* notion of
    "acceptable" vs. "yours".

    Somewhere you seem to have arrived at the conclusion that "self-
    governing" refers to each poster being the sole authority of what
    is acceptable about their own postings. The trouble with that
    conclusion is that other people have to wade through the stuff you
    post (no, filters and hitting the next key don't fix this problem
    beyond a certain point). Since each poster has a different
    opinion of what they'd like to post and read on a group, your
    system would shift the flow of traffic from being what *MOST*
    people would want to see - as expressed in the charter - to
    whatever the most lenient person would want to see.

    That system doesn't work. And it's not how Usenet works in
    general.

    > While I know it would be cumbersome for you to track who posts what and
    > how often but wouldn't it be nice to keep ALL the Jyhad/VTES activity
    > under one hood?

    It's debatable. Some people think so. Others would rather see
    only discussion and NOT sales posts. The question was resolved
    when the newsgroup charter was written and approved. If you think
    the wrong decision was made, your responsibility is to go find
    out how to alter a charter and attempt to do so. Not to simply
    declare your right to ignore it.

    Fred
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > Out of
    > those four, I received two notices that it was not allowed. I figure
    > four per year is acceptable, and these are under my guidelines of
    > acceptable, obviously not yours.

    I only sabotage four E-bay auctions a year by creating a fake account,
    bidding it up the wazoo with a last-hour bot and then scramming. I
    figure four times a year is acceptable, under my guidelines of
    acceptable, obviously not yours.

    > There is no real
    > deterrence other than a collective boycott and/or some berating.

    Good luck selling them cards.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "only sabotage four E-bay auctions a year by creating a fake account,
    bidding it up the wazoo with a last-hour bot and then scramming. I
    figure four times a year is acceptable, under my guidelines of
    acceptable, obviously not yours. "

    What you are talking about is fraud and that is actually punishable by
    law. Those are the government guidelines. If you are implying I do such
    acts, I would think again.

    "Good luck selling them cards. "

    Thanks
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    OK I take it all back. Anarchist behaviour is all well and fine, but by
    the definition of "Ordnung" this means that you accept a higher order
    withtin yourdelf. Derek, Peter, my sincere apologies. Mike, what is
    there to say, really? I frequent most of the sales sites, and their
    traffic is way high enough that it is completely unnecessary to post
    sales post here. So please adhere to that old saying: "When in Rome..."
    If you can't, go see your local hobby shop, or whatever works. Just
    don't aggravate this situation any further. Please.
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > wouldn't it be nice to keep ALL the Jyhad/VTES activity
    > under one hood?

    If you wish to change the newsgroup charter, there are established
    procedures for doing so.

    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    <subject line>

    Well, now that it's up, what does it want for breakfast?
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:09:54 -0500, "UniqueMaster"
    <shang@removethistexas.net> wrote:

    ><subject line>

    >Well, now that it's up, what does it want for breakfast?

    Coffee!

    Good to the Last Drop: The Coffee Deck by Art Martella
    <amart...@attila.stevens-tech.edu>

    This is the story of an undefeated deck. (In the only game it has ever
    been used in, the other two players took each other out in combat, but
    that's not the point.) This is the story of... The Coffee Deck.

    You are Forced Awake. With your massive Force of Will, you somehow
    manage to pull yourself out of bed. Your Primal Instincts tell you
    that you need coffee. You nearly suffer Rotschreck as you remember:
    you don't have a coffee maker (the old one burned down the house in an
    Unnatural Disaster after you left it on all night). So now it's seven
    a.m., and you don't have a coffee maker, which is okay, since you
    don't have any coffee, either. What to do? You must go out, Daring The
    Dawn, to get coffee.

    You check all of the usual places to get coffee- the local Palatial
    Estate, that nice little coffee house where that guy bites his finger
    off (they have great muffins!). Getting desperate, you fly over to
    Europe. You check out Pere Lachaise, France (you heard the coffee
    there is good enough to raise the dead!), but you get Confused when
    they ask if you want a triple latte decaf halfcaf expressocinno. Then
    you head over to Inbase Discotek, Frankfurt, but they don't open until
    noon. You hear a rumor that Juan Cali and his trusty goat will be at
    Festivo dello Estinto (Spanish for "Festival of Coffee"), so you head
    off to South America. It's obvious that there's a Strained Coffee
    Supply here.

    During this Day Operation, you feel your Mind Numb. As you slip into
    the depths of Depravity, you feel your Mind playing Tricks on you. You
    think you have found some coffee at the Society Hunting Ground, but
    you feel that your Soul has been Jarred as you are Faked Out by a
    Malkavian Prank: you have been Misdirected by the Folger's Switch
    (tm). This must be some Trick of Danya. Your Soul is Tormented as you
    scream Up Yours! at the Propaganda on television; all the Media
    Influence the coffee companies have still hasn't gotten you any
    coffee. You slip into a Coma, and in this Sensory Deprived state, you
    hear voices from the past. These spirits tell you that the Assamites
    may have a solution: the Ritual of the Bitter Coffee.

    With barely the Mind of a Child, you stumble towards Alamut. It is
    there that you learn of the Creation Rites for really good coffee.
    After performing the Theft of Vitae, turn the Blood to Water and mix
    with the Burnt Offerings. Drain the Essence of this Concoction of
    Vitality; then it can be Swallowed by the Night. This coffee truly
    forms the Heartblood of the Clan.

    The ritual completed, you taste the coffee. Your Soul Burns with a
    Burning Wrath at the very first sip, and you move like a Blur, at the
    Speed of Thought, with Quickness normally only attainable by an
    Escaped Mental Patient. Then, a Song of Serenity washes over you, and
    you feel an Aire of Elation about you.

    Then you remember: there's no milk.

    And now; the Coffee Deck!

    Vampires (13):
    Yong-Sun, Harmonist
    Imogen
    Makarios, The Seducer (do-it-yourself Taster's Choice couples!)
    Ian Forestal (he likes EVERY brand of coffee)
    Blaise
    Beast, the Leatherface of Detroit
    Joaquina Amaya
    Kalinda
    Artemis
    Muriel Foucade
    Victoria
    Juan Cali
    Zoe.

    Library
    Wake-up Stuff: Forced Awakening, Force of Will, Antediluvian
    Awakening, Wake with Evening's Freshness, Primal Instincts, Daring
    the Dawn, Dawn Operation, Day Operation; Unnatural Disaster

    Places with good coffee: Inbase Discotek, Frankfurt; Pere Lachaise,
    France; The First Tradition: The Masquerade (oh, THAT coffee shop...);
    Palatial Estate; Society Hunting Ground; University Hunting Ground;
    Festivo dello Estinto

    No coffee: Confusion; Torment the Soul; Mind of a Child; Mind Tricks;
    Depravity; Mind Numb; Strained Vitae Supply; Rotschreck; Sensory
    Deprivation; Coma; Up Yours!

    Folger's Switch: Malkavian Prank; Fake Out; Misdirection; The Trick of
    Danya; Jar the Soul (Decaf?)

    Coffee Companies: Media Influence; Propaganda; Short Term Investment;
    Secret Horde (so THAT's where they keep the coffee!)

    Coffee Creation: Ritual of the Bitter Rose; Creation Rites; Theft of
    Vitae; Blood to Water; Burnt Offerings; Drain Essence; Swallowed by
    the Night

    Good Coffee: Soul Burn; Burning Wrath; Blur; Quickness; Speed of
    Thought; Hidden Strength; Escaped Mental Patient; Song of Serenity;
    Aire of Elation

    Coffee Mugs: Blood Tears of Kephran; Concoction of Vitality; Vial of
    Elder Vitae; Vial of Garou Vitae; Heartblood of the Clan; Ascendance
    (swimmin' in coffee!)

    Other Stuff: Blood Bond (Bond over coffee!); Blood Doll (she's a
    coffee achiever); Ancient Influence (really old coffee)

    Skills req'd to make coffee: Thaumaturgy; Fortitude; Necromancy;
    Presence

    Carpe noctem.

    Lasombra

    http://www.TheLasombra.com
    Your best online source for information about V:TES.
    Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
    of booster and starter box displays.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "The Lasombra" <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > And now; the Coffee Deck!

    And here it is, organized by ELDB (for people curious enough
    to want to see what it looks like split out by card type,
    etc):

    Deck Name: Coffee Deck
    Created By: Art Martella

    Crypt: (13 cards, Min: 16, Max: 35, Avg: 6.38)
    1 Kalinda CEL OBF tha 6, Assamite:2
    1 Blaise ANI CEL obf vic 7, Gangrel antitribu:2
    1 Artemis aus cel DEM for OBF 6, Malkavian antitribu:2
    1 Imogen AUS DEM obf pro vic 9, Malkavian antitribu:2, Archbishop
    1 Muriel Foucade aus DEM 5, Malkavian antitribu:2
    1 Victoria AUS cel obf 5, Malkavian:2
    1 Zoe AUS cel obf 3, Malkavian:2
    1 Beast ani cel OBF POT 7, Nosferatu antitribu:2
    1 Yong-Sun ANI aus OBF POT THA 10, Nosferatu antitribu:2, Cardinal
    1 Joaquina Amaya ANI CHI FOR 6, Ravnos:2
    1 Makarios AUS dom PRE SER 8, Toreador:2
    1 Ian Forestal AUS DOM THA 8, Tremere antitribu:2
    1 Juan Cali aus for 3, Ventrue antitribu:2

    Library: (65 cards)
    -------------------
    Master (21 cards)
    1 Antediluvian Awakening
    1 Ascendance
    1 Blood Doll
    1 Depravity
    1 Festivo dello Estinto
    1 Fortitude
    1 Heartblood of the Clan
    1 Inbase Discotek, Frankfurt
    1 Malkavian Prank
    1 Misdirection
    1 Necromancy
    1 Pere Lachaise, France
    1 Presence
    1 Rotschreck
    1 Secret Horde
    1 Short-Term Investment
    1 Society Hunting Ground
    1 Strained Vitae Supply
    1 Thaumaturgy
    1 University Hunting Ground
    1 Unnatural Disaster

    Action (11 cards)
    1 Blood Bond
    1 Creation Rites
    1 Force of Will
    1 Jar the Soul
    1 Media Influence
    1 Mind Numb
    1 Mind of a Child
    1 Propaganda
    1 Sensory Deprivation
    1 Speed of Thought
    1 Trick of the Danya, The

    Action Modifier (6 cards)
    1 Aire of Elation
    1 Confusion
    1 Daring the Dawn
    1 Dawn Operation
    1 Day Operation
    1 Mind Tricks

    Political Action (2 cards)
    1 Ancient Influence
    1 First Tradition: The Masquerade, The

    Reaction (3 cards)
    1 Burnt Offerings
    1 Forced Awakening
    1 Wake with Evening's Freshness

    Combat (14 cards)
    1 Blood to Water
    1 Blur
    1 Burning Wrath
    1 Coma
    1 Drain Essence
    1 Fake Out
    1 Hidden Strength
    1 Primal Instincts
    1 Quickness
    1 Song of Serenity
    1 Soul Burn
    1 Theft of Vitae
    1 Torment the Soul
    1 Up Yours!

    Ally (1 cards)
    1 Escaped Mental Patient

    Equipment (5 cards)
    1 Blood Tears of Kephran
    1 Concoction of Vitality
    1 Palatial Estate
    1 Vial of Elder Vitae
    1 Vial of Garou Blood

    Combo (2 cards)
    1 Ritual of the Bitter Rose
    1 Swallowed by the Night

    This deck was last saved at 1:27:49 AM on 6/8/2005
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 6 Jun 2005 05:56:39 -0700, Mike <mykbuckley@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I felt this was the best group to post to as it has the highest
    > concentration of players.

    This group has the highest concentration of players partially because
    sales posts are not allowed. People who come here are interested in
    the game itself, not buying/selling (well, at least theoretically).
    The only way to retain that high concentration of players is to keep
    sales posts AWAY.

    --
    Bye,

    Daneel
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    And fred gets the vtes award for the world's most subtle change of
    topic!!! :)
    Way to go bra, never mind defuse the situation, step left and walk
    backwards around it. Sure you haven't got any malky vitae coursing thru
    those veins...?
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Blooded Sand" <sandmage@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118283672.323613.244040@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    > And fred gets the vtes award for the world's most subtle change of
    > topic!!! :)
    > Way to go bra, never mind defuse the situation, step left and walk
    > backwards around it. Sure you haven't got any malky vitae coursing thru
    > those veins...?

    Hmmm??? With no quote for context but an apparent threading to my ELDB
    version of The Lasombra's post about Art Martella's coffee deck (phew!),
    I assume you're referring to the right turn UniqueMaster started and
    Jeff completed. Yea, agreed, that was good. But it wasn't mine.

  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Frederick Scott" <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote in message

    > "Blooded Sand" <sandmage@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> And fred gets the vtes award for the world's most subtle change of
    >> topic!!! :)
    >> Way to go bra, never mind defuse the situation, step left and walk
    >> backwards around it. Sure you haven't got any malky vitae coursing thru
    >> those veins...?
    >
    > Hmmm??? With no quote for context but an apparent threading to my ELDB
    > version of The Lasombra's post about Art Martella's coffee deck (phew!),
    > I assume you're referring to the right turn UniqueMaster started and
    > Jeff completed. Yea, agreed, that was good. But it wasn't mine.

    If a bad thread won't go away, thread-jack it...

    DaveZ
    Atom Weaver
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:12:03 GMT, David Zopf <davidxzopf@snetx.net> wrote:

    > If a bad thread won't go away, thread-jack it...
    >
    > DaveZ
    > Atom Weaver

    Agreed.

    Here's a quickie: I've read about a quick 7-card combat duel format last
    year. I'm planning on trying out the format, and I'm curious about what
    experience people have with the stuff (like, what rules work best, what
    cards need to be banned, etc.).

    Could anyone please post (or point out) the latest version of the game?

    --
    Bye,

    Daneel
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:50:12 +0200, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu> wrote:

    >Here's a quickie: I've read about a quick 7-card combat duel format last
    > year. I'm planning on trying out the format, and I'm curious about what
    > experience people have with the stuff (like, what rules work best, what
    > cards need to be banned, etc.).

    >Could anyone please post (or point out) the latest version of the game?

    You will want to ask for "Battle Arena" on the UK Forums.

    http://membres.lycos.fr/britvtes/forum/

    They were playing with this variant in one of their forum subsets for
    a quite a while. The mastermind involved was once known as TPOTH and
    he posted Tzimisce newsletters.

    Carpe noctem.

    Lasombra

    http://www.TheLasombra.com
    Your best online source for information about V:TES.
    Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
    of booster and starter box displays.
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    The Lasombra wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:50:12 +0200, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu> wrote:
    >
    > >Here's a quickie: I've read about a quick 7-card combat duel format last
    > > year. I'm planning on trying out the format, and I'm curious about what
    > > experience people have with the stuff (like, what rules work best, what
    > > cards need to be banned, etc.).
    >
    > >Could anyone please post (or point out) the latest version of the game?
    >
    > You will want to ask for "Battle Arena" on the UK Forums.
    >
    > http://membres.lycos.fr/britvtes/forum/
    >
    > They were playing with this variant in one of their forum subsets for
    > a quite a while. The mastermind involved was once known as TPOTH and
    > he posted Tzimisce newsletters.

    I've run it at one of my tournaments.

    You'll want to have a long hard look at Terror Frenzy Superior.

    You also probably don't want too high a capacity.
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    tobiasopdenbrouw@geenspamvoormij_hotmail.com wrote:
    > The Lasombra wrote:
    > > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:50:12 +0200, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Here's a quickie: I've read about a quick 7-card combat duel format last
    > > > year. I'm planning on trying out the format, and I'm curious about what
    > > > experience people have with the stuff (like, what rules work best, what
    > > > cards need to be banned, etc.).
    > >
    > > >Could anyone please post (or point out) the latest version of the game?
    > >
    > > You will want to ask for "Battle Arena" on the UK Forums.
    > >
    > > http://membres.lycos.fr/britvtes/forum/
    > >
    > > They were playing with this variant in one of their forum subsets for
    > > a quite a while. The mastermind involved was once known as TPOTH and
    > > he posted Tzimisce newsletters.
    > >

    > I've run it at one of my tournaments.
    >
    > You'll want to have a long hard look at Terror Frenzy Superior.
    >
    > You also probably don't want too high a capacity.

    I've also run it and played it on the Forum. I couldn't find the rules
    on their again as the section has been closed, butit runs something
    like this:

    Each player chooses a 5 cap vampire (you could change this if you
    want). They also choose a 7 card "hand" with which to fight.

    Vampires do not contest.

    Undead Persitance was banned. You'll see why.

    If you want, you could have a weapon/equipment if you use
    Disguised/Concealed Weapon to bring it out. The cost+1 of this is paid
    by the blood on the vampire (i.e. .44 Magnum cost 3 blood - reductions
    (like Black cat) have an affect on this). The weapon card and CW/DW
    card must be part of your hand.

    Decide randomly who is the Acting Methuselah, put your vampire on the
    table, without knowing your opponents (hence no contesting), and play a
    combat.

    There is automatically a press to continue to the next round.

    All combat steps are adhered to, including when resolution takes place.

    Anyone either S:CE or pressing to end loses unless they can restart the
    combat (i.e. Psyche or Telepathic Tracking) as running away is
    conceding. This even applies to superior Catatonic Fear if the damage
    would torporise, as you ran away first.

    The winner is the first to torporise/burn their opponent (Hence Undead
    Persistance being banned). A draw if both go to torpor/burnt at the
    same time.

    Aside from weapons, only combat cards are allowed. Blood must be spent
    if required. Once played, a card is gone (unless permanent) so you will
    exhaust your hand and cards cannot be retrieved from the ash heap.

    A real life game tends only to last a few minutes, but it is a great
    way of showing newbies how combat works. When I ran it live, we each
    had 3 vampires and hands. You chose the order that you wanted to play
    your vampires without seeing who the other Methuselah had chosen and
    then play a duel of three "rounds". Each could only be played once in a
    duel. Randomise who would be acting Methuselah first and 3rd round, and
    then the other is acting Methuselah 2nd round.

    It was a nice fill in whilst waiting for rounds in a normal tourney to
    end.

    I might have missed something in the rules/explanation, but I'm sure
    Pierre or someone else could fill in the rest.

    I think an errata had to be done to one or two combat cards, but I
    can't remember which ones or what was done.

    Cheers

    Andy
    VEKN Setite Ruler of Cambridge

Games Ebay Video Games Product