Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi. I need some help in choosing a laptop. It would be much appreciated if you guys can reply fast since I'm being pressured in choosing a laptop for my birthday (which is in October, btw). If I don't make up my mind quick, I'll be getting a Mac for my B-day, which I hate. Anyways, here's my answered questionnaire:

1. What is your budget?
$1700 MAX

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 to 17 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want?
any, as long as it can work with Battlefield 3

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable, but can also be used as desktop replacement. i already have a powerful desktop, so its fine if the laptop isn't that powerful

5. How much battery life do you need?
more than 3 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, i'll be playing Battlefield 3 on high settings, skyrim on high settings as well and metro 2033 on either medium or high, depends

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I will be using this for college as well. needs to be able to run AutoCAD

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 gb minimum

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
won't be buying online

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 7 yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
a decent dvd drive

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I prefer Taiwanese brands such as Asus, Acer, and MSI. Dell, Lenovo are both fine, but not HP

13. What country do you live in?
Philippines, but I can buy the laptop in Taiwan if i have to

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
if possible, i want the laptop to still be able to play new games after 5 years

Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: is the MSI gt683dxr or the 17 inch version of it a good laptop? looks pretty powerful to me

Solution
Some pretty big changes happening between now and October.
Why the rush to decide now? You're much better off waiting.

MSI GT683DXR with it's GTX 570M graphics card would be a good option for gaming with BF3, Skyrim and Metro.
MSI GT683DXR review

Even with the powerful GTX 570M graphics card you'll need to adjust either the graphics settings or screen resolutions to get smooth playable frame rates.
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Some pretty big changes happening between now and October.
Why the rush to decide now? You're much better off waiting.

MSI GT683DXR with it's GTX 570M graphics card would be a good option for gaming with BF3, Skyrim and Metro.
MSI GT683DXR review

Even with the powerful GTX 570M graphics card you'll need to adjust either the graphics settings or screen resolutions to get smooth playable frame rates.
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution

jarrchng

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I think you're right, WR2, maybe I should just wait. Thank you very much for your help!

If you were jumping in right now - I'd have no problem suggesting the GT683DXR.
But the new Ivy Bridge models will be out in a few months. If you're not in a hurry it's worth waiting to see what else they show up with (like better graphics cards!)

Status
Not open for further replies.