FeForce Ti OR GeForce FX ?

andreibl

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Could someone pls enlighten me which should I choose - the GEforce Ti or FX? The FX family I understand is newer but the 5200 sounds less performant than a good Ti? Thnx

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
If you don't have other choice, get GeForce4 Ti4200. It's much more cheaper, and still performs quite good. However, you'll have to upgrade again in about a year or so because if you are a gamer this won't fulfill you but until then the ATi Radeon 9800 Pro would be much more cheaper so you can grab one of those or if NV35 happens to be a good card you can also consider it.
Anyway, I STRONGLY recommend Radeon 9700 Pro if it's available since it's quite cheap now and only second to Radeon 9800 Pro.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Geforce 5200 is meant to replace Geforce4 MX (value segament), therefore, the performance of that series won't be up to bar with the Geforce 4 Ti series.

If value is your primary concern, I'd purchase a Ti4200 and maybe overclock it a little bit. :)

GOod luck

Sparks

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I have a feeling that ATI's R9600 np is going to replace the TI4200 as the best bang for the buck card in the $100 to $150 price range.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Yeah I'd think that the 9600 will own that market. As many like GW said it will truely become the mid-range tweakers card because of it's flexibility in OC and yet a much reduced price compared to it's stable mates.
Actually I would even says that for around the same as the ti4200, the 9500P would be the choice, and it has some headroom to. The price diff. isn't that significant.

As for returning to the Original post, if you are truely NOT willing to go ATI, or REALLY are loyal to NVIDIA (maybe you've had good/bad experiences and believe in brand loyalty, I won't flame you I say ATI, but for whatever reason if you HAVE to go NVIDIA) try and go either with a CHEAP GF4ti waiting for a perfected Nvidia 0.13 card. Or go and spend the Lot on the 5800, or maybe a weak 5600. However I think it will be hard to pick a winner in your choices for now, both coices seem like a really bad situation to put yourself and your money in. The 5200 is definitely not the choice under any circumstances, unless you simply want to see what DX9 tests look like at really poor frame rates, just to SEE them.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

andreibl

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Thank you guys, this really helps. I had the impression that the FX 5200 is not quite so great and you proved me right... Great would be the FX 5800 but it's ridiculously expensive as they just launched it.... Anyway from what I hear from you Radeon would be an option too... I was just trying to get something powerfull enough so that I will not be forced to upgrade... AGAIN!!!....in one year....However I wouldn't spend 500 for a card. Thanks again, guys.

did you know that humans can't lick their elbows?

Ok if you're not ATI-phobic or Nvidia-phillic, then forget the Nvidia line for a while. The ATI or built by ATI Radeon 9500pro or 9600pro would be your wisest choices. Depending on you needs: Raw power - 9500P, low power consumption - 9600P. One little hitch though the R9600P isnt out in store YET, but soon (end april,beginning of may). Also you may not want a 9600P if you are worried about a new product. The 9500P is a mature product with alot of found bugs and fixes, whereas the 9600P will be new to all of us untill about a month from now. Some will promote one over the other, I will simply say that both are your better option over Nvidia. Until the NV35 comes out (maybe), and even then that's a ways off into the distance and not worth waiting for for someone like you who wants a mid-range card (the NV 35 is a top end card).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

eden

Champion
The 9600 will likely be very weak, far be it from even matching a Ti4200. I would definitely go for that anyday above a 5200, but I am very doubtful of its value for now. If it goes for 100$, then it's excellent, if 150$, forget it.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

eden

Champion
Could you specify your maximum budget which includes tax?

It would help us a lot evaluating what price/performance ratio can we find and balance each for your demands.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

The 9600 will likely be very weak, far be it from even matching a Ti4200
well the review here in THG showed that except at the very lowest settings the ti4200 8x and the 9600P were either neck and neck or the 9600P was in the lead, and like I've said, who really need 200 fps in quake III. Now those are stock settings and it's a reasonable assumption that that's what most newer 'gamers' will leave them on. I'd say the performances are running pretty close and it'll be a question of future-proofing between a ti4200 and a 9600. Like I said the 9500P will likely be the choice for most, unless you are already strapped with a poor PSU, in which case the 9600 would be the best you can get without adding an external power connector and likely stressing your sub 300W PSU. Anywhoo, yeah the 9600 will be slightly cheaper, but I didn't really see that as the posters MAJOR concern, but if saving the $30 makes he difference then get the Nvidia over the ATIs, but otherwise their is soon but not for long, to be 2 better choices in either ATI product and the thing would be to reasearch and see what fits his needs, personally I think either way he can't lose, but I know you disagree, and I respect that.

eden

Champion
I wouldn't disagree much on the 9600PRO, but I would for the 9600 if it cost 150$.

At least the guy isn't closed minded and accepts an ATi card as well in the list of possible purchases.

--

AMD_me

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I would strongly recommend an ATi Radeon 9500Pro (NOT 9600)

eBay, kick ass!

My 3DMark2001 Score: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6288493</A>
-
I bought from Best Buy once. Once.

andreibl

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Eden, my buget for this one is somwhere around 200 $. As for your other post -that I am open to ATI too, - of course. I don't believe in being fan of x or y manufacturer just for the love of its name(unless it's my dad's company...) Being fan of a company without looking at the facts is stupid, I think - becaus in fact, if you don't look at the features of the product, you are in love with just the mind of an intelligent creative director from an advertising agency who created that companie's immage... In other words = letting them manipulate you.... I believe in comparing, geting opinions, etc and choosing what's the best. Just one thing that makes me incline towards a Nvidia solution - most of the 3D glasses around work with Geforce and not Ati - am I wrong?
Thanxxxxx again :)

""did you know that humans can't lick their elbows?""

eden

Champion
It's a breath of fresh air that we have another person who has these views on companies.

200$, hmm, I think you can get around a 9500PRO pretty easily. A 9600PRO would work, but you would have to wait, and I am not too fond of it, and fond of buying something that just came out, as you never know how the drivers are, and could end up with lots of game incompatibilities. If you feel like being wild, taking risks, you could go for a 9500 non-PRO, and get the soft-mod utilities and turn it into a 9700. That saves you a good 100$. I can't guarantee it will work, because there are new card layouts and that may destroy the ability to unlock it. You would have to check around to know how you can identify a soft-mod capable 9500.

I know about the 3d Glasses being very nVidia oriented. Yes that is true, but you have to ask yourself, do you have the urgent need to play at 640*480 in order to get 60Hz at least in 3d Stereo mode, and still have some headaches occasionally?
Back when I was about to purchase my new computer, I was also looking fervorly into 3d Glasses, that came with the Asus Deluxe package of geForces. It was expensive of course. But, after long thought, I didn't go for it.
First of all, it's a big novelty, in that it is not perfected at all.
-You need at least some break for your eyes each hour of play
-You are not guaranteed your eyes are up to it, and it may even require a visit to the doctor
-You need a powerful monitor, that can run more than 120Hz at 640*480, and even there, it's a small resolution where your gaming will be poor and low-quality, and since each shutter glass LCD takes from that 120Hz, you are dividing by half and getting 60Hz in reality. So you are stuck with 640*480*60 to play. I guarantee you it won't last in your eyes and the fun.
-You need to calibrate your 3d stereo settings in games to make sure each plays rightfully in the 3d mode.

I could go on. Although I did not try them yet, I know of many who gave up using them after little, simply because it's more a hassle than anything. It has not been well designed yet, and I suggest you try to think it over. It'll save you money and eye trouble, as well as monitor performance.

If you think you can get some extra funding, and don't mind OEM products, (no box, just the card and drivers), you should go for a 9700 OEM from ATi. It's cheap-priced, and significantly better than the 9500PRO & 9600PRO.

All that matters is you know of your power supply above all. It must be 300W at least, or from a good brand name.
And yes, forget the FX, if you don't want to end up with a cat fur ripper, house vaccum cleaner and winter defroster.

--

andreibl

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Thankxxxx. I'll believe u on this one and forget about the 3d glasses. I tryed some in the meanwhile and they're quite cool, but not killing my eyes is more important (I bought a LCD monitor for THAT reason and, in the meanwhile I found out that 3d glasses would probably not work with a TFT as it can't give a good enough ref. rate.)

As for what I'll get - I'm now 90% towards an R9500P or 9700P. Although I watched you in other posts and you're not impartial at all about Rxxx vs GeFxxx - you seem very ATI oriented, there are several things you and others say that ponts me towards R... stay coolll.....

""did you know that humans can't lick their elbows?""

eden

Champion
Heheh, I can't recommend much nVidia now can I?
All their new cards are simply not up to the job, or are useable properly.
For now I can only recommend ATi, and some nVidia low end cards if there needs be.
Hopefully that changes with NV35, but then I'd have to wait also for the mainstream NV35s, which will be much later.

--