Shadow Soulknife (Dragon #330)?

On his site, Chris Adams has a list of substitution levels by source,
and there's a "shadow soulknife" from Dragon #330.

I think this sounds very interesting, but it could be anything. So could
someone who has the Dragon in question please give me a few details?
What's flavour of the substitution levels? are they a fair trade
mechanically?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    > On his site, Chris Adams has a list of substitution levels by source,
    > and there's a "shadow soulknife" from Dragon #330.
    >
    > I think this sounds very interesting, but it could be anything. So could
    > someone who has the Dragon in question please give me a few details?
    > What's flavour of the substitution levels? are they a fair trade
    > mechanically?

    Well now.

    At first level you get Stealthy instead of Wild Talent; that's because shadow
    soulknives aren't actually psionic, drawing not on the power of the mind but
    instead on the power of Shadow to which the Umbragen elves of Eberron are bound.
    It's an explicitly magical effect; mention is made of concentration to maintain
    the blade in an antimagic field, as a normal soulknife must in an antipsionic
    field.

    At 6th level, instead of Speed of Thought, you can make a "shadow bow" instead
    of a mind blade - it replicates a shortbow, with two arrows each round, though
    feats applied to the mindblade don't enhance it and you can't make a psychic
    strike through it.

    At 9th level, instead of bladewind, the shadow bow becomes a composite shortbow
    or composite longbow, allowing the soulknife to apply Strength bonus to damage
    along with psychic strike (reduced by 1 die).

    The focus is on being a reaaaaaal stealthy elf using the classic sword-and-bow
    armaments, formed of the power of Shadow. Good flavour for the Umbragen, though
    it's pretty specific. They're also strongly associated with the warlock class
    for its shadowy darkness and such.

    I reckon it's balanced.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    The geek with roots in Hell!

    Who do you blame when your kid is a - brat?
    Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese - cat?
    Blaming the kids is a lie and a - shame!
    You know exactly who's - to - blame:
    The mother and the father!

    In article <%2oUe.28009$FA3.19196@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid says...

    > > On his site, Chris Adams has a list of substitution levels by source,
    > > and there's a "shadow soulknife" from Dragon #330.
    > >
    > > I think this sounds very interesting, but it could be anything. So could
    > > someone who has the Dragon in question please give me a few details?
    > > What's flavour of the substitution levels? are they a fair trade
    > > mechanically?
    >
    > Well now.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > The focus is on being a reaaaaaal stealthy elf using the classic sword-and-bow
    > armaments, formed of the power of Shadow. Good flavour for the Umbragen, though
    > it's pretty specific. They're also strongly associated with the warlock class
    > for its shadowy darkness and such.
    >
    > I reckon it's balanced.

    Nice. Does that Dragon have more about the Umbragen?

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid says...
    >
    >>> On his site, Chris Adams has a list of substitution levels by source,
    >>> and there's a "shadow soulknife" from Dragon #330.
    >>>
    >>> I think this sounds very interesting, but it could be anything. So
    >>> could someone who has the Dragon in question please give me a few
    >>> details? What's flavour of the substitution levels? are they a fair
    >>> trade mechanically?
    >>
    >> Well now.

    <snip>

    > Nice. Does that Dragon have more about the Umbragen?

    Yes, indeed. There are two and a half pages of material on the nature and
    background of the Umbragen, followed by a discussion of the place in Umbragen
    society of their favoured class - warlock. A great deal of this discussion is
    just flavoursome description of how the warlock's abilities should be described
    in terms of their origins in the shadowy power of the Umbra. Then there's a page
    of interesting shadow-themed racial feats.

    --

    In article <ScAUe.28985$FA3.17624@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid says...

    > > Nice. Does that Dragon have more about the Umbragen?
    >
    > Yes, indeed. There are two and a half pages of material on the nature and
    > background of the Umbragen, followed by a discussion of the place in Umbragen
    > society of their favoured class - warlock. A great deal of this discussion is
    > just flavoursome description of how the warlock's abilities should be described
    > in terms of their origins in the shadowy power of the Umbra. Then there's a page
    > of interesting shadow-themed racial feats.

    I just might try and get that issue, then.

    I was kind of disappointed when the Eberron drow turned out to be jungle
    savages; as neat as that is in it's own right, I was looking forward to
    Eberron drow as something that would make drow a cool race to play
    again, and the jungle tribsman is not really among my favorite
    schticks... But stealthy shadow-warrior very much is!

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:

    > I was kind of disappointed when the Eberron drow turned out to be jungle
    > savages; as neat as that is in it's own right, I was looking forward to
    > Eberron drow as something that would make drow a cool race to play
    > again, and the jungle tribsman is not really among my favorite
    > schticks... But stealthy shadow-warrior very much is!

    The thing I like very much about Eberron's drow is that they're no more
    monolithic than regular elves are - just as there are Aereni, Valenar, and
    "Khorvaire" elves in the dragonmarked houses, there are different varieties of
    drow. The scorpion-worshipping savages revere the god Vulkoor (the Mockery), but
    they are culturally distinct from those drow (possibly the ones Keith Baker
    called "firebinders") which, while still living in nomadic tribes, practice
    sophisticated elemental binding to a level far above that known on Khorvaire.
    The Umbragen are distinct from both - and there are other drow cultures which
    are different still.

    As a note, a fourth culture of "normal" elves is now extinct - the Qabalrin,
    whose power rivaled that of the giant empires until the entire people were
    destroyed by some mysterious cataclysm. It was the discovery of mystic Qabalrin
    inscriptions in Khyber that allowed the forerunners of the Umbragen to tap into
    the Umbra and bind it to the souls of their people. Also, to quote Keith Baker
    from the Wizards of the Coast boards, "it's quite possible that the Umbragen are
    in fact drawing their power from a similar force that is simply the combined
    souls of the Qabalrin elves."

    --

    In article <6OCUe.29249$FA3.23032@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid says...

    > > I was kind of disappointed when the Eberron drow turned out to be jungle
    > > savages; as neat as that is in it's own right, I was looking forward to
    > > Eberron drow as something that would make drow a cool race to play
    > > again, and the jungle tribsman is not really among my favorite
    > > schticks... But stealthy shadow-warrior very much is!
    >
    > The thing I like very much about Eberron's drow is that they're no more
    > monolithic than regular elves are - just as there are Aereni, Valenar, and
    > "Khorvaire" elves in the dragonmarked houses, there are different varieties of
    > drow. The scorpion-worshipping savages revere the god Vulkoor (the Mockery), but
    > they are culturally distinct from those drow (possibly the ones Keith Baker
    > called "firebinders") which, while still living in nomadic tribes, practice
    > sophisticated elemental binding to a level far above that known on Khorvaire.

    OK, I haven't heard of those. Are they also from Dragon #330?

    > The Umbragen are distinct from both - and there are other drow cultures which
    > are different still.
    >
    > As a note, a fourth culture of "normal" elves is now extinct - the Qabalrin,
    > whose power rivaled that of the giant empires until the entire people were
    > destroyed by some mysterious cataclysm. It was the discovery of mystic Qabalrin
    > inscriptions in Khyber that allowed the forerunners of the Umbragen to tap into
    > the Umbra and bind it to the souls of their people. Also, to quote Keith Baker
    > from the Wizards of the Coast boards, "it's quite possible that the Umbragen are
    > in fact drawing their power from a similar force that is simply the combined
    > souls of the Qabalrin elves."

    It seems I'll have to start reading the WotC Eberron boards more
    regularly!

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid says...
    >
    >> (possibly the ones Keith Baker called "firebinders") which, while still
    >> living in nomadic tribes, practice sophisticated elemental binding to a
    >> level far above that known on Khorvaire.
    >
    > OK, I haven't heard of those. Are they also from Dragon #330?

    No. In fact, the post in the "Ask Keith Baker FAQ" thread where I found the name
    "firebinders" (they had been mentioned as "elemental binders" earlier)
    specifically mentioned that nothing has been printed about them yet. They won't
    be in Magic of Eberron, as I understand it, since Keith thinks (not having
    worked on it himself) that product is going to detail elemental binding more
    fully but not the cultures which practice it.

    >> As a note, a fourth culture of "normal" elves is now extinct - the
    >> Qabalrin, whose power rivaled that of the giant empires until the
    >> entire people were destroyed by some mysterious cataclysm. It was the
    >> discovery of mystic Qabalrin inscriptions in Khyber that allowed the
    >> forerunners of the Umbragen to tap into the Umbra and bind it to the
    >> souls of their people. Also, to quote Keith Baker from the Wizards of
    >> the Coast boards, "it's quite possible that the Umbragen are in fact
    >> drawing their power from a similar force that is simply the combined
    >> souls of the Qabalrin elves."
    >
    > It seems I'll have to start reading the WotC Eberron boards more
    > regularly!

    It's a very good resource - if you can handle the noise of people getting whiny
    about errors and perceived errors of canon in supplements like Five Nations,
    it's worth it. Keith Baker spends an insane amount of time answering fan
    questions and talking about the setting.

    --

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > I was kind of disappointed when the Eberron drow turned out to be
    > jungle savages; as neat as that is in it's own right, I was looking
    > forward to Eberron drow as something that would make drow a cool race
    > to play again, and the jungle tribsman is not really among my favorite
    > schticks... But stealthy shadow-warrior very much is!

    Speaking of drow: In my Falling Empire setting, the drow are longtime
    allies of the imperial dwarves. However, even though they live under the
    same mountains, the drow (mostly) manage to retain independence from
    the dwarves. They have a reputation as formidable merchants and
    excellent craftsmen. The dwarves are good engineers and inventors, but
    if you want a fine sword, your best bet is a drow swordsmith.

    Our PCs recently witnessed a minor drow rebellion. A bunch of them had
    been working in a dwarven research lab, trying to develop warforged. So
    far, no problem. The dwarven chief scientist was not-too-secretly
    worshiping illithid. Minor problem -- drow don't like mind flayers --
    but still not too bad so long as the work is good and the squids keep
    their distance. However, when barbarians raided the lab and upset the
    balance, the mind flayers went into panic mode and started preying on
    the workers. Big problem, but the drow couldn't do anything until it was
    too late.

    The PCs show up, start cleaning out the flayers, and free some drow
    who'd been trapped in small suite of rooms for a couple months. (No,
    they didn't have sufficient food stores.) Some of the drow were
    favorably impressed, even if they didn't show it plainly. Later, when
    the PCs walked into a major ambush (drow, duergar, skeletons, driders,
    and a mind flayer), the rescued drow turned to the PCs side.

    Only one of the drow actually survived the fight. With nothing much
    better to do -- she's a dancer, not a businesswoman -- she tagged along
    with the PCs. Tomorrow, she joins the PCs as a cohort.

    Drow don't like mind flayers messing with their minds or trying to
    eat their brains, but their main objection is that mind flayers make
    driders.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd