Dell restoration procedure?

I have a Dell Dimension desktop that I purchased about 1-1/2 years ago.
Due to viruses and spyware I want to wipe it and start fresh. I thought
that there are restoration/recovery CD's that ship with the computer,
but I didn't receive one. There is a "resource" CD that came with it,
is that what I need to reinstall Windows XP? Also since I ordered two
computers at the same time, must I match the correct CD with the
correct computer to avoid deactivating the other computer if I get the
product codes mixed up?

I was also told it could be possible that the restoration copy is on
the hard drive itself. How do I go about restoring the computer to it's
original state?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions.
6 answers Last reply
More about dell restoration procedure

    Does not matter which Windows cd you use. You should
    have a cd for reinstallation of windows xp (or whatever it came with).
    After install you use the resouce cd to reinstall the drivers.
    This has been covered a million times on this group but this
    is what basically needs to be done. Also, the Dell website
    has reinstallation guides that cover the reinstallation of windows
    and drivers..etc in detail. Hope this helps.
    Dave

    Dell will definatly have sent you a Windows CD even if they slipped up and
    missed it off one PC there would have been one in the 2nd PC you ordered.
    Failing that so long as you have your licence then borrow one off someone
    "DesignGuy" <dontbother@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension desktop that I purchased about 1-1/2 years ago.
    > Due to viruses and spyware I want to wipe it and start fresh. I thought
    > that there are restoration/recovery CD's that ship with the computer,
    > but I didn't receive one. There is a "resource" CD that came with it,
    > is that what I need to reinstall Windows XP? Also since I ordered two
    > computers at the same time, must I match the correct CD with the
    > correct computer to avoid deactivating the other computer if I get the
    > product codes mixed up?
    >
    > I was also told it could be possible that the restoration copy is on
    > the hard drive itself. How do I go about restoring the computer to it's
    > original state?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions.

    > I have a Dell Dimension desktop that I purchased about 1-1/2 years ago.
    > Due to viruses and spyware I want to wipe it and start fresh.

    You might be able to clean the system without wiping it - you`ll lose no
    more than a hour of your time, and it might just achieve what you want...

    I`ve got newbie level tips and links to free anti-spyware / anti-virus
    stuff here:

    http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

    All the programs I link to are free, and in the case of the two AV
    programs, free for personal use.

    > I was also told it could be possible that the restoration copy is on
    > the hard drive itself. How do I go about restoring the computer to it's
    > original state?

    I think, when the DELL logo appears during boot-up, you have to hold CTRL
    F11 and release both keys. It will take you to a menu where you can set the
    hard drive to the state when the PC was shipped from Dell. It is supposed to
    take only few minutes.

    The Dell System Restore accessed by Ctrl + F11 was put on machines
    shipped on or after 7/15/04. See
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090152&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    > Stanwrote:
    Quote:
    I was also told it could be possible that the
    restoration copy is on
    > the hard drive itself. How do I go about restoring the computer to
    it's
    > original state?

    I think, when the DELL logo appears during boot-up, you have to hold
    CTRL
    F11 and release both keys. It will take you to a menu where you can
    set the
    hard drive to the state when the PC was shipped from Dell. It is
    supposed to
    take only few minutes.

    I Have Dell Reinstallation CD MS Windows XP Professional sealed never used.
    Dell Part # 09K255 version 2002. Asking $35 + $7 S&H. Let me know?

Dell Computer CD-Rom Computers