Microsoft: Please Don't Upgrade Win 7 Beta to RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I'm not sure why everyone is posting news on this, because it makes plenty of sense.

They want to test the upgrade process, and most of the userbase won't be upgrading from Win7.

SecksPanther

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
+1 to thedipper there.

1.) It's not really newsworthy and seems more like someone submitted this article just to meet a deadline or a quota. *snicker*
2.) Beta -> RC will be a rare occasion. Microsoft has millions and millions of customers, and maybe 0.000001% are running the beta. Yeah, I totally made that number up. But you know what I mean, guys.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i agree, doing a full install is the way to go. doing an upgrade can result it problems. i'm doing a full install. i know no one cares and no one wants to hear about it. ;-)

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
We -know- Win7-to-Win7 upgrades work just fine, personally I've done 5-6 of them.

Additionally, users CAN change data in a .ini to allow the RC to upgrade from the beta versions.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]True, pre-production versions should always be treated this way. But, I'm sure some Linux- and Mac-ophiles will use this as yet another reason to bash Microsoft anyways.[/citation]Trolling doesn't make the other trolls stay away. The same methods for upgrade testing are used by most Linux pre-release testers. Probably applies to OS X testers as well.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]thedipper[/nom] Users CAN change data in a .ini to allow the RC to upgrade from the beta versions.[/citation]

Wait, can you upgrade from 7000 straight to RC without reinstall, just a upgrade?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
They forgot about some people... the xp-7.
I ain't got no legit vista to go to, and the only reason for me to use XP is for a dual boot on the extremely rare programs that won't run on 7.

I understand, but personally they'll see another 7000-7070+ soon. :)

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
i mean upgrading to rc without having to wipe your hard drive. I know how to reinstall windows 7, i want to get rc without having to reinstall all my programs and adding all my files again

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
It is easy. Microsoft even gives you directions on how to upgrade from one beta to the next. I could care less about testing the upgrade process. Waste of my time. I have all the software on that needs to be tested I see no point in deleting everything, install Vista, and then upgrading to Windows 7. Waste of my time.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
thank you, do you know where i can see that guide? because i havent heard or seen it.

[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I ain't got no legit vista to go to, and the only reason for me to use XP is for a dual boot on the extremely rare programs that won't run on 7.[/citation]
What programs dont work on windows 7 that work on xp?? Ive had everything work in compatibility mode. All the games, websites and everything.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]It is easy. Microsoft even gives you directions on how to upgrade from one beta to the next. I could care less about testing the upgrade process. Waste of my time. I have all the software on that needs to be tested I see no point in deleting everything, install Vista, and then upgrading to Windows 7. Waste of my time.[/citation]
Then you should not be a Beta Tester.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]thedipper[/nom]I'm not sure why everyone is posting news on this, because it makes plenty of sense. They want to test the upgrade process, and most of the userbase won't be upgrading from Win7.[/citation]
So... Something is only news, when it doesn't make sense? Did you really think that comment through?

G

So, in other words: Windows 7 (Vistav2) has serious stability issues and they want to manipulate the tech news perception in to thinking that Microsoft cares about beta users.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]thank you, do you know where i can see that guide? because i havent heard or seen it. What programs dont work on windows 7 that work on xp?? Ive had everything work in compatibility mode. All the games, websites and everything.[/citation]

Our database program at work doesn't run on Windows 7. I even get an error message that says there is a known issue and it won't work when I started the install. What's funny is we are running MICROSOFT Navision.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
My problem is that I'm using Vista 32-bit and testing Windows 7 beta 64-bit. No upgrade path there, so I've got a dual boot option.

The problem is, I have two partitions on a single drive, and I made the mistake of installing Windows 7 on my second partition (that already had some stuff on it) instead of on a separate drive. Now I have to move my data to a second physical hard drive, uninstall Windows 7 beta, move the data back to the partition, then reinstall the RC to another drive. Ok so I could keep the data on the separate drive and install the RC to the secondary partition to save a step, but it's still quite a bit of trouble.

Then again, it's my own stupidity that got me in this situation in the first place.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]techtre2003[/nom]Our database program
at work doesn't run on Windows 7. I even get an error message that says there is a known issue and it won't work when I started the install. What's funny is we are running MICROSOFT Navision.[/citation]

Well, that's a fairly old version. NAV Dynamics (Navision's replacement)has been around for a few years now. I'm sure the error mentioned that updating the program will fix the problem? Pretty good deals going on from what I hear: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/purchase/offers.mspx

Really...I'm sure there are plenty of legacy Microsoft programs that don't work on Windows 7. NAV Dynamics works with Vista, though, and it should work fine with Windows 7.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I've never actually upgraded an OS before anyhow. Heck I don't even like to upgrade software. I always try to find a full installer even if I've purchased the upgrade for a cheaper price.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't understand how this could be a problem. Users of a Beta OS should consider themselves lucky the Beta didn't brick their computer, anything else is just a plus.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Beta Microsoft OS because I wouldn't want to give them the free testing. I mean, I don't get to keep the Beta. When they release the final OS, they expect me to pay. Also why I don't buy an OS before the first service pack. Like I'm going to PAY for an OS and THEN find their problems for them. However Win7 seems to be on a much better development cycle, might be worth it (compared to the first Vista release).

Status
Not open for further replies.