pissed off!!!

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
So i had been very happy with my sapphire radeon 8500 LE i got from newegg about 3 months ago, until today I tried to connect the S video out to my TV. Well I discover after careful examination of the card that newegg sent me the PAL version. On their site the the version is listed as the NTSC model number. Too late to RMA it now!

On top of that, I cant connect my second monitor. The DVI port on it is a DVI-D port....there are NO adapters for DVI-D to VGA. Ive looked everywhere. I even bought a DVI-I adapter and ripped some pins off to make it fit, well obviously that didnt work either. Anyone else notice this? Is there anything I can do?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Two things.

Good news for SVideo-out.

All ATI cards can do NTSC, and PAL A, B, C, and M (I think those are the options).

Look at Display Properites. Under "Displays" you will see a choice for TV. Under that you will find an option for selecting the television format, NTSC, PAL, etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I misplaced my SVideo cable and without it the options aren't available in Display properties.

I had a similar problem when I bought an ATI Radeon 8500 from Newegg about a year ago. In my case there was a disclaimer something to the effect, "No DVI-VGA adapter", which I took to mean that one was not included.

Shortly after my purchase the disclaimer was changed to, "DVI-VGA adapter will not work".

I was going to send my card back but I didn't have second monitor anyway so I kept it.

Newegg lost a few points with me since they never replied to my email. I didn't pursue the issue since I was happy with the 8500's performance and I was only out the cost of the DVI-I/VGA adapter, about $5.

Bad news about DVI-D to VGA.

The extra pins on DVI-I are the RGB and sync signals. This what makes DVI-I to VGA work. There isn't any real "conversion" done with the adapters, just pinout switching. Your video card has to have a second RAMDAC for it to work and the extra pins need to be wired on a DVI-I connector. DVI-D will never work with VGA.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 04/18/03 02:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
Yeah, I was about to buy the same card, but I did check the serial number they showed at Newegg against the Sapphire web, and it is the pal version and if I recall correctly nowhere on the newegg page said it was ntsc. In Sapphire's web they show dozens of versions for the 8500le, curiously the 9100 only had like two versions (not related to tv system, btw)

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I have the same card, Radeon8500LE made by Sapphire
it shows as Pal version, but when I connect it to TV, after it goes in to Windows, everything run fine
I notice there is a jumper where I can set it to pal or ntsc, the default is Pal, I changed to NTSC, but I never try to TV-out after I changed, but I think it will work as well
So try it, and tell us what you got then

I got one question here, what's difference between DVI-D and DVI? thanks in advanced for sharing your knowledge~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I warned a whole bunch of people about this: Most Radeon LE cards didn't have the second RAMDAC needed for a second CRT monitor. This is why they used the connector that doesn't fit an adapter: if the adapter fit, you'd think the card was defective when it failed to work.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>