Spontaneous Power

There appears to be a new Promo card:

Spontaneous Power
Type: Master
Cost: 2 pool
Unique master.
Put this card on a vampire and choose a Discipline. This vampire gains 1
level of the chosen Discipline. While in play, this card counts as a master:
Discipline card.
Rarity: Promo:20050611

It has been mentioned on Path of Blood, Ash Heap and others, yet there has
been no official announcement. However go to White Wolfs site, and there it
is under Promos, and you can even download the .csv file for ARDB.
Seems odd to have this low profile release, but there you go.
Sam
26 answers Last reply
More about spontaneous power

    "Jazzbeaux" <sam.marsh@NOTrenelec.co.uk> wrote in message
    > There appears to be a new Promo card:
    >
    > Spontaneous Power
    > Type: Master
    > Cost: 2 pool
    > Unique master.
    > Put this card on a vampire and choose a Discipline. This vampire gains 1
    > level of the chosen Discipline. While in play, this card counts as a
    > master: Discipline card.
    > Rarity: Promo:20050611
    >
    > It has been mentioned on Path of Blood, Ash Heap and others, yet there has
    > been no official announcement. However go to White Wolfs site, and there
    > it is under Promos, and you can even download the .csv file for ARDB.
    > Seems odd to have this low profile release, but there you go.
    > Sam

    This card was handed out at the Washington, DC qualifier this past weekend.

    Everybody dust off those Dauntain Black Magicians...

    - Pat

    "Jazzbeaux" <sam.marsh@NOTrenelec.co.uk> wrote in message
    > There appears to be a new Promo card:
    >
    > Spontaneous Power
    > Type: Master
    > Cost: 2 pool
    > Unique master.
    > Put this card on a vampire and choose a Discipline. This vampire gains 1 level of the chosen Discipline. While in play, this card
    > counts as a master: Discipline card.
    > Rarity: Promo:20050611
    >
    > It has been mentioned on Path of Blood, Ash Heap and others, yet there has been no official announcement. However go to White
    > Wolfs site, and there it is under Promos, and you can even download the .csv file for ARDB.
    > Seems odd to have this low profile release, but there you go.

    It seems unlikely it would be on White Wolf's site if it weren't authentic.
    (Unless someone pulled off one hell of a hack, I suppose.) So I guess it's
    a tournament promo which got officially released this past weekend.

    Cool card. Back when Bloodlines came out, I was very disappointed at the
    clan limitation in Sanguine Instruction and in the lack of any Bloodlines
    discipline cards in general. The point was made at the time that you can't
    hand out levels of things like Obeah to just anyone and I agree with that.
    Still, you could put out a higher cost card and make it possible to teach
    Frederick the Weak Temporis or something without breaking the game, I think.
    So here it is, finally, in a truly general form. (For instance, the Tremere
    Antitribu already have Infernal Pact.) I notice you still can't use it by
    itself to train a whole clan some exotic discipline. Though I also notice
    a Lasombra could use Spontaneous Power in combination with Camarilla Vitae
    Slave to Sanguine Instruct other Lasombra in any single discpline desired.
    It would probably be a pain but it could be done.

    Anyway I like it. It's fun without cheapening exotic displines too much.

    Fred

    Peter D Bakija wrote:
    > Frederick Scott wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway I like it. It's fun without cheapening exotic displines too much.
    >
    > Yeah--over on Path of Blood, everyone was like "How is this card good?". The
    > answer is quite simple. One word, baby--Choir.

    Hahahaha!

    Okay Peter, you know that anytime the answer to your question is "use
    Choir" you are in trouble. :)

    I think obviously, the answer to "how is this card good" is..."it makes
    Cardano better".

    ;)

    Xian

    Frederick Scott wrote:
    > "Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote in message
    > > Frederick Scott wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyway I like it. It's fun without cheapening exotic displines too much.
    > >
    > > Yeah--over on Path of Blood, everyone was like "How is this card good?".
    >
    > Seems right. At a cost of two pool, it's use will likely be restricted to
    > fun decks and maybe just the periphery of tournament play. But....that's
    > how things should be for promos.*** I wonder what they were expecting on
    > Path of Blood? The next tournament powerpower*POWER* card?!?
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > (*** - Then and again, I also have a sneaking suspicion someone somewhere
    > will find a surprisingly imaginative use for it.)

    I'll tell ya what I was thinking:

    It's a bad card.

    I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.

    Unique and 2 pool cost is too much. We still don't see Infernal Pact at
    the highest levels. Of the six !Tremere TWDs, only Eric's deck used it.

    Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the fact that this card exists to
    give lots of flexibility to those who want to do fun stuff with their
    decks, but it is maddening to me (call me short-sighted if you will)
    that this sort of card isn't obviously going to fit into a lot of
    different strategies.

    Cards which require disciplines are generally WAY less useful at
    inferior than superior. Since you only get 1 level boost you might as
    well be playing with the standard discipline card and get the capacity
    boost out of it as well. If you're playing with a zillion disciplines
    in your deck, I can see it being marginally useful, but are you doing
    to dedicate several slots to this card when it is Unique and costs 2
    pool? Give me a 2-cap with the same inferior discipline any time.

    This card is also going to help out those Bloodlines (and future) clans
    which have until now only been able to use Sanguine Instruction to
    teach up their clanmates to superior level in a rare discipline. That
    alone won't help them be more viable.

    What would have rocked:

    Spontaneous Power
    1 Pool
    Master
    Put this card on a vampire and choose a Discipline. This vampire gains
    one level of the chosen discipline. While in play, this card counts as
    a master: Discipline card. A vampire may only have one Spontaneous
    Power.

    Jeff

    Btw, is this the right artwork?

    http://www.cryptmonkey.com/gallery/misc/04.html

    <jeffkuta@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Frederick Scott wrote:
    >> I wonder what they were expecting on
    >> Path of Blood? The next tournament powerpower*POWER* card?!?
    >
    > I'll tell ya what I was thinking:
    >
    > It's a bad card.
    >
    > I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    > something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    > could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.

    Well, yea, but a card like that should be printed in an expansion, not
    issued as a promo. Maybe say it's unfortunate they didn't choose to do
    the former but...

    > Unique and 2 pool cost is too much. We still don't see Infernal Pact at
    > the highest levels. Of the six !Tremere TWDs, only Eric's deck used it.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the fact that this card exists to
    > give lots of flexibility to those who want to do fun stuff with their
    > decks, but it is maddening to me (call me short-sighted if you will)
    > that this sort of card isn't obviously going to fit into a lot of
    > different strategies.

    I agree, as a real tournament card it's overcosted. I'm noticing that
    there seems to be a distinct dichotomy in the tastes of players when
    they think about blurring abilities between clans and disciplines. I'm
    with you in that I think a certain amount of it is fun and should be
    facilitated. There seems to be a lot of people around who feel like
    the lines are already far too blurry and don't want to see any more
    cards which allow clans to borrow functions from other clans.

    I would say that although the cost is on the high side and the uniqueness
    really limits its uses, the card is far from unusable. I've seen some
    cards printed in the past that were brilliant ideas but got so insanely
    saddled with costs and limitations I wanted to cry. This card, at least,
    is not in that class.

    Fred

    Frederick Scott <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
    > Well, yea, but a card like that should be printed in an expansion, not
    > issued as a promo. Maybe say it's unfortunate they didn't choose to
    > do the former but...

    Why should a card that you would only want a few of, in a NCL game, be
    printed in an expansion? I mean, this strikes me as the PERFECT card to
    have been printed this way. Meddling Of Semsith was also an excellent
    choice for this kind of limited-print limited-release card.

    > I would say that although the cost is on the high side

    Agreed. Should have probably been 1 pool.

    > and the uniqueness really limits its uses,

    Agreed. Should have been non-unique and 1-2 pool. But I still like the
    fact that the card exists.

    > the card is far from unusable. I've seen some cards printed in
    > the past that were brilliant ideas but got so insanely saddled with
    > costs and limitations I wanted to cry. This card, at least, is not
    > in that class.

    Such as? =)

    > Fred

    Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
    "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
    you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
    "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

    Frederick Scott wrote:

    > Anyway I like it. It's fun without cheapening exotic displines too much.

    Yeah--over on Path of Blood, everyone was like "How is this card good?". The
    answer is quite simple. One word, baby--Choir.

    (ducks)

    Ok, ok. Yeah, like, it isn't going to make the Daughters rule the world or
    anything, but I think having a couple of these in a DoC Choir deck so as to
    give, like, Delilah Easton or whomever mel and be able to Choir is quite
    handy.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote in message
    > Frederick Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway I like it. It's fun without cheapening exotic displines too much.
    >
    > Yeah--over on Path of Blood, everyone was like "How is this card good?".

    Seems right. At a cost of two pool, it's use will likely be restricted to
    fun decks and maybe just the periphery of tournament play. But....that's
    how things should be for promos.*** I wonder what they were expecting on
    Path of Blood? The next tournament powerpower*POWER* card?!?

    Fred

    (*** - Then and again, I also have a sneaking suspicion someone somewhere
    will find a surprisingly imaginative use for it.)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message news:Y%nre.36$kk.35@fed1read01...
    > Frederick Scott <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
    >> Well, yea, but a card like that should be printed in an expansion, not
    >> issued as a promo. Maybe say it's unfortunate they didn't choose to
    >> do the former but...
    >
    > Why should a card that you would only want a few of, in a NCL game, be
    > printed in an expansion? I mean, this strikes me as the PERFECT card to
    > have been printed this way.

    You clipped context and (either because of clipping context or perhaps
    this was why you chose to clip) misunderstood my point. Jeff said,
    "With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it could be playable in tournaments
    and not be abusive." I replied, "Well, yea, but a card like that should be
    printed in an expansion, not issued as a promo."

    Make more sense now? I don't think we disagree about the nature of promos.

    Fred
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 6/13/05 5:10 PM, in article
    1118697016.478974.8760@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "jeffkuta@pacbell.net"
    <jeffkuta@pacbell.net> wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > Btw, is this the right artwork?
    >
    > http://www.cryptmonkey.com/gallery/misc/04.html

    Yes, although the printing is kinda dark on the card, so some of the detail
    is lost.

    - Pat
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Pat" <patrick.lusk.nyetspam@nospamcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > On 6/13/05 5:10 PM, in article
    > 1118697016.478974.8760@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    > "jeffkuta@pacbell.net" <jeffkuta@pacbell.net> wrote:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Btw, is this the right artwork?
    >>
    >> http://www.cryptmonkey.com/gallery/misc/04.html
    >>

    > Yes, although the printing is kinda dark on the card, so some of the detail
    > is lost.

    Hmmm. I hate to say it, but the art looks like it was taken straight out of
    the Bill Murray movie, "Scrooged". The scene in the elevator going down where
    Frank Cross meets the Ghost of Christmas Future again but when it opens its jacket,
    it becomes clear that this time, the thing isn't an actor as it had been on the
    way up. (Ewwww...!)

    Fred
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Peter D Bakija wrote:
    > A) Pretty much any bloodlines deck that isn't built around a single vampire.

    I think mixing bloodlines with non-bloodlines is one of the better uses
    for this card. I just built a Brujah/!Brujah/Trujah Trophy deck that
    would love to add this in along with Trophy:Discipline for the
    Temporis.

    Eric Simon
    Prince of Chicago
    Anarch Newsletter Writer
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:

    > I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    > something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    > could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.

    I dunno--I think it is actually pretty good. I mean, like, not Govern the
    Unaligned or Giant's Blood good, but certainly worth using in the
    appropriate deck. What is the appropriate deck?

    A) Pretty much any bloodlines deck that isn't built around a single vampire.

    B) Decks that would arguably use multiple types of skill cards--i.e. any
    deck that uses, like, 2 Obf and 2 Ani skill cards, say, would likely be
    better off with 1 Obf, 1 Ani, and 1 Spontaneous Power.

    C) Choir, Choir, Choir!

    I mean, like, yeah, even at 2 pool and unique, I think it is going to be
    pretty good for most Bloodlines themed decks. And possibly good in non
    Bloodlines decks based on the flexibility.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Its going to go to work in my Nehsi Matthias spirit marionette
    temptation freak driving deck... not that that deck is any good really,
    but still...
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message
    >> the card is far from unusable. I've seen some cards printed in
    >> the past that were brilliant ideas but got so insanely saddled with
    >> costs and limitations I wanted to cry. This card, at least, is not
    >> in that class.
    >
    > Such as? =)

    Good question. What was I thinking when I wrote the above?

    I know I've had this feeling before looking at more than one card,
    but now that you challenge me, I can't really give you a perfect
    example of what I'm talking about.

    Eyes of the Dead and Tortured Confession are two examples of cards that
    _could_ be useful if redesigned not to be so insanely limited and
    with a cost/benefit ratio that made them look somewhat attractive in
    some way. With respect to not being so limited, the tempation would be
    to broaden the class of situations when they could be used. But you
    don't want to broaden it so much as to make them knockoffs of more
    general cards that exist, so you also need to greatly increase the
    benefits somehow when they can be used.

    Crimson Fury is an example of a card whose basic idea I really loved
    but got enormously screwed by the simple act of saddling it with a
    blood cost. Of course, most minions in torpor have no blood - that's
    how they got into torpor. Many do have blood but it's such a narrow
    card just limiting its use to minions-being-diablerized that the
    further limitation of a blood cost was just unreasonable. (I'm not
    sure it's completely unusable as is so terming the limitations "insane"
    might be a bit excessive. But, you know, I get frustrated about it.)

    Maybe I'll recall more such examples with a bit of time.

    Fred
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In message <Y%nre.36$kk.35@fed1read01>, Kevin M.
    <youwish@imaspammer.org> writes:
    >Why should a card that you would only want a few of, in a NCL game, be
    >printed in an expansion? I mean, this strikes me as the PERFECT card to
    >have been printed this way. Meddling Of Semsith was also an excellent
    >choice for this kind of limited-print limited-release card.

    Hmm. While Spontaneous Power does mostly scream "one or two for a trick
    deck", Meddling is a card which I can see doing well in reasonably large
    numbers, mixed in with cards like Blood Weakens and Veil of Darkness, to
    give you a fairly nasty denial focus, with whatever else you want to do
    with votes, for example.

    Meddling is one of the few cards White Wolf have done where I thought
    "That's probably too good for a promo."

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

    Xian wrote:
    > Deal! Well, if I had one. ;)

    Awsome. Well, maybe we'll get some at Origins?

    > Oh man, you obviously don't know what you're speaking of. I'll show
    > you the error of your ways at Origins.

    Keep in mind, this was coming from a guy who, like, put 6 of his Freak
    Drives in a Choir deck...

    -Peter
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Just a dumb question here, but can I fish for this as a skill card when
    I play Third Tradition or something?
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Preston wrote:
    > Just a dumb question here, but can I fish for this as a skill card when
    > I play Third Tradition or something?

    No. SP is only treated as a Master: Discipline card while in play.

    -Robert
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:32:06 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
    <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

    ><jeffkuta@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> Frederick Scott wrote:
    >>> I wonder what they were expecting on
    >>> Path of Blood? The next tournament powerpower*POWER* card?!?
    >>
    >> I'll tell ya what I was thinking:
    >>
    >> It's a bad card.
    >>
    >> I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    >> something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    >> could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.
    >
    >Well, yea, but a card like that should be printed in an expansion, not
    >issued as a promo. Maybe say it's unfortunate they didn't choose to do
    >the former but...

    Personally, I like that this card is a promo. Maybe I'm biased because
    I know that I won't get my hand on more than 3 or 4 copies of that
    card. But I understand that players with very active playgroups (in
    terms of official tournaments) will have concerns after receiving the
    10th copy of it.

    I'd go for the card as promo with the same cost (2 pool) but not
    unique - or at least with a clause "a vampire can have only 1
    Spontaneous Power".

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V for Vendetta on the big screen!
    http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:58:29 -0400, Peter D Bakija
    <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote:

    >jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:
    >
    >> I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    >> something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    >> could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.
    >
    >I dunno--I think it is actually pretty good. I mean, like, not Govern the
    >Unaligned or Giant's Blood good, but certainly worth using in the
    >appropriate deck. What is the appropriate deck?
    >
    >A) Pretty much any bloodlines deck that isn't built around a single vampire.

    >B) Decks that would arguably use multiple types of skill cards--i.e. any
    >deck that uses, like, 2 Obf and 2 Ani skill cards, say, would likely be
    >better off with 1 Obf, 1 Ani, and 1 Spontaneous Power.
    >
    >C) Choir, Choir, Choir!
    >I mean, like, yeah, even at 2 pool and unique, I think it is going to be
    >pretty good for most Bloodlines themed decks. And possibly good in non
    >Bloodlines decks based on the flexibility.

    I was thinking about how good would it be in a given deck with Samedis
    and Smallpox Griet. A few Potence skill cards for the stiffs to be
    able to use Immortal Grapple and 2 copies of Spontaneous for Smallpox
    getting [THN]. You won't even be bothered by the second copy of SP -
    you could use it to teach the discipline you need for the Samedi you
    have at hand. And boy, do they need to learn some discipline at
    superior.

    Of course this wouldn't be a tournament-viable deck, but what fun can
    you get playing Withering under Immortal Grapple?

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V for Vendetta on the big screen!
    http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:41:53 -0300, "Fabio \"Sooner\""
    <fabio_sooner@NOSPAMyahoo.com.br> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:58:29 -0400, Peter D Bakija
    ><pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote:
    >
    >>jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    >>> something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    >>> could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.
    >>
    >>I dunno--I think it is actually pretty good. I mean, like, not Govern the
    >>Unaligned or Giant's Blood good, but certainly worth using in the
    >>appropriate deck. What is the appropriate deck?
    >>
    >>A) Pretty much any bloodlines deck that isn't built around a single vampire.
    >
    >>B) Decks that would arguably use multiple types of skill cards--i.e. any
    >>deck that uses, like, 2 Obf and 2 Ani skill cards, say, would likely be
    >>better off with 1 Obf, 1 Ani, and 1 Spontaneous Power.
    >>
    >>C) Choir, Choir, Choir!
    >>I mean, like, yeah, even at 2 pool and unique, I think it is going to be
    >>pretty good for most Bloodlines themed decks. And possibly good in non
    >>Bloodlines decks based on the flexibility.
    >
    >I was thinking about how good would it be in a given deck with Samedis
    >and Smallpox Griet. A few Potence skill cards for the stiffs to be
    >able to use Immortal Grapple and 2 copies of Spontaneous for Smallpox
    >getting [THN]. You won't even be bothered by the second copy of SP -
    >you could use it to teach the discipline you need for the Samedi you
    >have at hand. And boy, do they need to learn some discipline at
    >superior.

    Oops. Forget that. I was just so bothered by the fact that's Unique
    that I even erased it from subsconcious mind :)

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V for Vendetta on the big screen!
    http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    In message <3q1ua15itketiaa82hm7ao65rs984ofsld@4ax.com>, "Fabio
    \"Sooner\"" <fabio_sooner@NOSPAMyahoo.com.br> writes:
    >Personally, I like that this card is a promo. Maybe I'm biased because
    >I know that I won't get my hand on more than 3 or 4 copies of that
    >card.

    Two words.

    E.

    Bay.

    (Possibly one word, but meh.)

    --
    James Coupe
    PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
    EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:40:14 +0100, James Coupe <james@zephyr.org.uk>
    wrote:

    >In message <3q1ua15itketiaa82hm7ao65rs984ofsld@4ax.com>, "Fabio
    >\"Sooner\"" <fabio_sooner@NOSPAMyahoo.com.br> writes:
    >>Personally, I like that this card is a promo. Maybe I'm biased because
    >>I know that I won't get my hand on more than 3 or 4 copies of that
    >>card.
    >
    >Two words.
    >E.
    >Bay.
    >(Possibly one word, but meh.)

    Not worth it if I'm going to receive a number of copies of the card
    that I think I need - 3 or 4 - before it gets out of circulation. That
    was the original point. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V for Vendetta on the big screen!
    http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    jeffkuta@pacbell.net wrote:

    > I'll tell ya what I was thinking:
    >
    > It's a bad card.
    >
    > I predict it will see play in fun decks which are trying hard to make
    > something specific happen. With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it
    > could be playable in tournaments and not be abusive.
    >
    > Unique and 2 pool cost is too much. We still don't see Infernal Pact at
    > the highest levels. Of the six !Tremere TWDs, only Eric's deck used it.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the fact that this card exists to
    > give lots of flexibility to those who want to do fun stuff with their
    > decks, but it is maddening to me (call me short-sighted if you will)
    > that this sort of card isn't obviously going to fit into a lot of
    > different strategies.
    >
    > Cards which require disciplines are generally WAY less useful at
    > inferior than superior. Since you only get 1 level boost you might as
    > well be playing with the standard discipline card and get the capacity
    > boost out of it as well. If you're playing with a zillion disciplines
    > in your deck, I can see it being marginally useful, but are you doing
    > to dedicate several slots to this card when it is Unique and costs 2
    > pool? Give me a 2-cap with the same inferior discipline any time.
    >
    > This card is also going to help out those Bloodlines (and future) clans
    > which have until now only been able to use Sanguine Instruction to
    > teach up their clanmates to superior level in a rare discipline. That
    > alone won't help them be more viable.
    >
    > What would have rocked:
    >
    > Spontaneous Power
    > 1 Pool
    > Master
    > Put this card on a vampire and choose a Discipline. This vampire gains
    > one level of the chosen discipline. While in play, this card counts as
    > a master: Discipline card. A vampire may only have one Spontaneous
    > Power.
    >
    > Jeff

    IMHO, the card isn't that bad, and I even dare to consider it a
    tournament-worthy card. Flexibility is a great advantage, and sometimes
    it worth 2 pool and even more. One of the best examples is a
    low-capacity Kindred Spirits deck: Dementation is your primary
    Discipline, Obfuscate is a must, but you need at least one vamp with
    superior Auspex to bounce bleeds. Nothing can replace Spontaneous Power
    in such deck - spending 2 pool to get AUS is far better than be bled
    for much more, and if you already have it, go for DEM or OBF. I guess
    that nobody would call KS deck a "fun stuff" :)

    "Hole-patching" is going to be the primary job for this card. Any deck
    that would benefit from three or four different Discipline cards can
    use at least one SP for the flexibility.

    Yours,
    Ector
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 17 Jun 2005 10:10:41 -0700, Ector <Ector@mail.ru> wrote:

    > IMHO, the card isn't that bad, and I even dare to consider it a
    > tournament-worthy card. Flexibility is a great advantage, and sometimes
    > it worth 2 pool and even more. One of the best examples is a
    > low-capacity Kindred Spirits deck: Dementation is your primary
    > Discipline, Obfuscate is a must, but you need at least one vamp with
    > superior Auspex to bounce bleeds. Nothing can replace Spontaneous Power
    > in such deck - spending 2 pool to get AUS is far better than be bled
    > for much more, and if you already have it, go for DEM or OBF. I guess
    > that nobody would call KS deck a "fun stuff" :)
    >
    > "Hole-patching" is going to be the primary job for this card. Any deck
    > that would benefit from three or four different Discipline cards can
    > use at least one SP for the flexibility.

    While I generally agree that Spontaneous Power can be good if you use 3+
    disciplines, beause you save on the discipline slots, I kind of doubt
    that it would much impact tournament play. You are generally better off
    using slightly larger vampires who have more disciplines (and whose
    blood you later hopefully reclaim). If you really need a discipline,
    you should pack it in your crypt; relying on Masters to get it
    introduces great fragility into the deck. If you don't NEED it,
    Spontaneous Power becomes that much more interesting.

    What popped into my mind is a mid-cap+ deck that uses vampires who have
    two in-clan superiors and a different in-clan inferior. Like, a Ventrue
    Anttribu deck using the likes of Marlene, Vanessa, Charice, Dominique,
    Joseph O'Grady, Edward Neally, Gustav Mallenhaus, Kyle Stathcona. You
    don't know who will come up, you aren't dying to give them all
    superiors, but a may-or-may-not-see effect to round out their
    disciplines may just cut the line (whereas including three Master:
    Disciplines is definitely out of the question).

    --
    Bye,

    Daneel

Power Video Games