GeForce 4 Ti4200 bizarre resolution limit problem

scot

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2003
About 9 months ago I bought a GeForce 4 Ti4200, and when I first installed the drivers that were current at the time, I was surprised that I was limited to 1280x1024 resolution (in Windows XP Pro, on a 21" SGI-labelled Trinitron). But I fiddled around with it and "somehow" got it to run at 1600x1200, which is what I was expecting.

Recently, my roommate upgraded the drivers on this machine to the latest drivers, 43.45. Now I'm back to only being able to choose up to 1280x1024. I tried XP's "driver rollback" option to no avail: still limited to 1280x1024.

I fiddled around with it for a couple of hours tonight and observed a very strange behavior. When there is no driver installed -- i.e. I go into the device manager and say "uninstall" and reboot -- I can choose up to 1600x1200 and everything seems great. But Windows quickly detects that there is no driver and, seemingly without any way for me to stop this, it automatically installs what must be some kind of "baseline" driver (29.58), and then the next time I reboot I'm back to 1280x1024!

I went to the nVIDIA site and tried all the drivers that seemed like they might be the ones I had working, especially 30.82 since that rang a bell for me, but the only way I am able to get 1600x1200 is by uninstalling the driver, and that only lasts until Windows figures out that it needs to install a driver (argh).

What's going on?

Thanks for any help...!

richhowse

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2003
I would think that your problem is your monitor driver. You see, when you don't have your video driver loaded, you don't have your monitor loaded either. So head to your manufacturer's website and see if they offer a driver for download for your monitor.