AaronH64

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I'm having reboot problems and I narrowed it down to my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card. The video card can make it about an average of 2 hours 'when playing games' until it reboots the system. When I am not playing games it does not reboot. Right now I put my TI4400 back in and the system runs stable.

The drivers I'm using are Catalyst 3.2 Driver Suite: http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonnowdm-xp.html?cboOS=Windows+XP&cboProducts=RADEON+9800+PRO+128MB&eula=&choice=agree&cmdNext=Next

It's strange that there has not been any new drivers out for this card already. These are dated March 13.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I'm at work while ATI's help line is open so I doubt I can call them on this.

thanks,

-Aaron

My system:
GA-SINXP1394 Motherboard [F5 bios]
P4 3.06 HT enabled
Corsair 1GB XMS twin ddr400 [Set at 2,3,3,6]
Radeon 9800 PRO Video card [Catalyst 3.2 Driver Suite]
Maxtor 120gig Harddrive 8mb buffer
Standard DVD rom/floppy drive
Antec 480watt PS trueblue
Bluetooth USB Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse
Thermal-Take Xaser III V1000D Case
All settings are stock. Nothing is overclocked.

selfbuilt

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Sounds like it could be heat ... what are your case/cpu temps after extensive gaming? The 9800 draws more power (and consequently runs hotter) than the Ti4600 over time (especially when gaming). You might want to try an extra case fan or two, especially one blowing on the GPU.

Where does good judgement come from? Experience. Where does experience come from? Bad judgement.

AaronH64

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I have not tried reinstalling windows yet.

I will be disappointed if it is a cooling issue. My case has TONS of fans. And I keep them all turned all the way up.

Although the stock Thermal-take fans do seem kind of weak. What would you suggest for a good/powerful case fan?

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Dude I have an asus geforce3 ti200 that i keep oc'd all the time that would reboot my pc after sustained gamning. I have 2 fans blowing in on my case. When the weather got warmer all the sudden after 6 mos. its throwing heat warnings that steal focus from games, although it never threw heat warnings when it would reboot my pc after several hours, now I suspect it can't take sustained 'near warning' temps. Anyway I put this drive bay exhaust fan that I got from startech on and all the sudden the operating temp of the card, and I would assume the ambient temp in the case dropped 25+ degrees fahrenheit! Way less reboots now.

<font color=red> Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch. </font color=red>

*blinks* have you ever thought that it could be your power supply? look what you had in there?

from experience antec power supplies are the worst! Go with the enermax and i wonder if your problems will go away.

I had a 400watt antec power supply and i had constant hangup problems with my hard drive and my computer freezing up. I popped in a 431watt enermax power supply and the problem went away.

You have a lot of power hungry devices on your computer that produce a lot of heat as well. I wonder if the proper juices aren't being supplied to your hardware causing your hardware to hang up and system reboots.

Antec makes some horrible power supplies!

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

AaronH64

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Once I changed the cas setting on my memory back the system no longer reboots. Now all that happens is the monitor goes into standby after about 2 hours of gameplay. I'm thinking that I had 2 issues going on at once. The reboot issue has been resolved, now I just need to figure out why my Radeon card makes my monitor go into standby.

I never really thought about my powersupply. Any way to check that without going out and paying the bucks for a new one just to test?

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
How old is your monitor? Have you since tried running your old card again to see if the monitor still does that? I only ask b/c I have had a monitor that has done that b4. Since you solved the reboot problem, I can't see the powersupply causing the monitor problem...

check your power settings and see if it is set to go in standby after 2 hours.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
haha *blink*

such a way of saying "duh" ahah

i have a question

why the hell would you buy a 9800pro right now when you have a TI4400??

ill add another few ????????

especially when your card is more than sufficent for games at present (considering the great overclocking of the TI4400) and sinse the 9800pro will come down in price within a few months...

i mean, dont youget over 75fps on holyshiat settings in UT2003?? lol~

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

My friends Gaming Review Site. Check it out.
"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

AaronH64

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I got the 9800 because I have 2 gaming machines. I'm putting the TI4400 in the other. Anyways.. that has nothing to do with my question.

Like I said if I have the TI4400 in, the monitor does not go into standby. The problem is completely random. It does not happen 2 hours on the nose. It could happen in 1 hour or 4 hours. Nothing in my settings are set to go into standby after an X amount of time.

The monitor is a viewsonic 19". Maybe about 3 years old. But it works perfectly with the TI4400.

Last night I tried the reinstall windows thing. Completly reinstalled Windows XP pro updated all the drivers etc etc etc.

Played a game for 1 hour and the monitor went into standby still !

Also I thought it may be overheating like some of you suggested. I put another fan blowing right on the card.

After the lockup issue occured, I put my hand in the case and felt all over the video card and CPU. They felt warm, but nothing seemed overheated. I could hold my finger on any part of the card as long as I wanted.

Any other ideas?

jincuteguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
Make sure you delete all the files from the Ti4400 Nvidia drivers, then install the Ati Radeon, and try to take out some of the cooling fans, you are sucking up all the power of your system, since the 9800 Pro needs more power. Hope that help.

Jincuteguy has a point. Make sure you remove all the drivers. the best way to do that is to install the standard vga drivers after you uninstall them.

After that or even skip that part and call up ATI's tech support. You may have to RMA the card.

AaronH64

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I completey formatted and reloading winxp last night.. same problem. I'm ganna try to contact ATI tech support over the next few days.

I read somewhere where people had lockup issues with ATI 9700 during games and increasing their AGP voltage by .1 corrected it. Think that is worth a shot?

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
sk8er dearest comrade, you may have had one bad experience with antec, but dont go throwing around their name unless you have some more substantial evidence.
antec is known for their high quality power supplies, some of the best out there. enermax is another one.
not to say he couldnt have gotten a bad sample, as i suspect you did, but antec is uber. high quality cases and high quality power supplies. very.

i have an antec case, and recently i purchased a 550w antec true power power supply, hasnt given me any problems, seems great, and has enough power for 2 comps!
antec power supplies have seperate output circuits for all 3 voltage lines, i would assume enermax ps's do also, but many lower quality power supplies use one circuit for the 5 and 3.3v line. this is another sign of quality, and can allow for higher loads.
its also practically silent, and the speed controlled fans seem to be doing their job.

Long live ATI.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
oh, and phial, im also upgrading to a 9800 from a ti4400, but you already knew that:)
and yes, i already got a good framerate in ut2k3 at 1600x1200 holy shiznat settings:)

Long live ATI.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
also some people with the newer radeons couldnt use them AT ALL, and the problem couldnt be fixed.
it seemed to be fairly random, just having to do with your motherboard and component set up.
you may also have that problem, which would be very sad:(
because basically theres not much you could do to fix it, other than replacing one of your other components, which means more $.

Long live ATI.

i'd still talk to ATI tech support first and see what they say and then give it a shot. It sure wouldn't hurt any though if you want to avoid tech support give it a shot.

never had a girl suck on your dick huh? too bad ... get a life and get laid dork.

AaronH64

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
hmm not sure how my post changed from 9800 issue to sucking dicks, but ok. :)

I'm not sure how to explain this, but some guy from another message board told me to try to use the DVI-I to VGA adaptor and hook my monitor to the DVI-I port instead. For some crazy reason it seemed to fix my problem. I ran a game last night [I was AFK of course] for 8 hours straight and my computer never crashed once. Did the same this morning for 4 hours and no crashes!

Can anyone explain why this fixed my problem???

But regardless I'm happy as hell.

ya know i looked up IDT-I adapter and i can't find it anywhere. what is it?

lol just a little type.

ya thats weird. that does't make sense to me. Only thing i think of is that maybe the DVI connection on the video card is a defect. Don't know. Just go with it i guess. I wonder if that is whats causing my TV to crash!!!

Have you noticed any differences between the DVI and analog?