how to prolong laptop battery lifetime?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
December 18, 2004 12:38:57 AM

I have a desktop replacement dell laptop (inspiron 8600). When I use it at
home, what is better for the battery?

- charge the laptop until it is full, then unplug and use it until it is
almost dead, then plug it in again ...
- keep the charger plugged in all the time
- use the laptop with the battery removed and keep the battery fully charged
- use the laptop with the battery removed; don't keep the battery fully
charged
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 18, 2004 12:38:58 AM

peter wrote:
> I have a desktop replacement dell laptop (inspiron 8600). When I use it at
> home, what is better for the battery?
>
> - charge the laptop until it is full, then unplug and use it until it is
> almost dead, then plug it in again ...
> - keep the charger plugged in all the time
> - use the laptop with the battery removed and keep the battery fully charged
> - use the laptop with the battery removed; don't keep the battery fully
> charged

Batteries degrade through the charge/discharge process. When at home I
keep my 8500 on AC power with the battery in place. Battery is always
fully charged for whenever I need to go mobile.

--

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 18, 2004 12:38:58 AM

NEVER deep discharge a lithium ion battery - doing so even once can
permanently damage it.

Li-ion batteries work best when topped up regularly. Whether you use it
or not, it will eventually deteriorate from age - 300-500 charge cycles,
or about 18 month-2 years before many no longer hold sufficient charge.

peter wrote:
> I have a desktop replacement dell laptop (inspiron 8600). When I use it at
> home, what is better for the battery?
>
> - charge the laptop until it is full, then unplug and use it until it is
> almost dead, then plug it in again ...
> - keep the charger plugged in all the time
> - use the laptop with the battery removed and keep the battery fully charged
> - use the laptop with the battery removed; don't keep the battery fully
> charged

a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 10:39:21 PM

Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

> Li-ion batteries work best when topped up regularly. Whether you use it
> or not, it will eventually deteriorate from age - 300-500 charge cycles,
> or about 18 month-2 years before many no longer hold sufficient charge.

I think I am very lucky on this matter. I use the laptop all the day
and charge it two times each day (no power outlets where I am usually
working but a nice wlan instead!). Once charged, I can use the laptop
three hours (sometimes a bit more). About two years ago, a full charge
allows me to run the laptop up to four hours. I think that this battery
has more than 1000 charge cycles...

Certainly I am very happy with my used Latitude CPi laptop!

Igor.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 10:46:02 PM

Igor Sobrado <igor@no-spam.on.the.net> wrote:

> I think I am very lucky on this matter. I use the laptop all the day
> and charge it two times each day (no power outlets where I am usually
> working but a nice wlan instead!). Once charged, I can use the laptop
> three hours (sometimes a bit more). About two years ago, a full charge
> allows me to run the laptop up to four hours. I think that this battery
> has more than 1000 charge cycles...

Of course I do full charge/discharge cycles!

Igor.
September 22, 2013 4:05:26 PM

The service life of your laptop battery is primarily determined by design design the cell. For example, one of the best cells made today is from Panasonic and is goes by the part number NCR18650. (note, they are more expensive cells) The cell is designed and tested to retain 70% of its capacity up to 500 cycles and will probably last somewhere around 900 cycles before a replacement is needed!

When compared to a "standard" cell or "generic" cells, these generic cells are only designed to last around 300 cycles. The ones sold on Amazon or eBay fit this profile. You can only extended the service maybe 10% percent by treating them very kindly, you will not be able to get 500 cycles from a cell that was only design to deliver 300, no matter how well you treat them.

I have seen a lot of stuff written, but most posts don't address the elephant in the room, which is the designed service life of the product. Also confusing things is that most sellers don't stated what they are using either. I can only assume its because its not in their best interest to do so.

General rule of thumb to gauge the quality of the battery ...

If the battery is OEM, then assume 500-600 max cycles

If the battery is a replacement brand, then the following rule of thumb can be used to set expectations..

Price range [$10-$20] - basically the battery has a much lower capacity and service life [300 cycles tops] -- Why? batteries in this price range tend to ones that are old and sat in a warehouse for a very long time. [0 -1 year warranty]

Price range [$21-$40] - expect low capacity and short runtimes ... service life should be around 350 cycles [ 1 year warranty]

Price Range [$41-$70] - Expect average capacity and a 400-500 cycle life. [ 1 year warranty]

Price range [$70-$99] - Expect above average capacity and runtime with service life of around 500-600 cycles. [ 1 -2 year warranty]

Here is an example of a store that only sells batteries that use these new high performance Panasonic NNP (NCR18650) cells www.SafeBatteries.com

Here is a laptop battery performance chart that compares the Panasonic cells to OEM and other brands.
September 24, 2013 4:30:11 AM

From research that I have done, I always believed that the fully charge, then do not fill up again until about 15% rule was best. However, given how badly I had ruined my own battery life on my last laptop here are somethings you should definitely do whichever method you decide:

- When you do unplug, never plug back in until you reach below 20%
- Never disconnect the laptop from the charger until it reaches 100%
- Keep it on a lower power setting when you're just doing basic things like word/Facebook/emails/etc. so there's less draw from the battery
- Try to keep the battery as cool as possible (a chill mat works wonders!)

Hope this helps!
September 30, 2013 8:06:59 AM

Expect above average capacity and runtime with service life of around 500-600 cycles.
September 30, 2013 10:45:09 PM

You can turn off programs that you leave running in the background and disable any services in background such as Bluetooth or wifi. Dim your screen and if you have a keyboard back light you'll want to turn that off too.
!