how to prolong laptop battery lifetime?

peter

I have a desktop replacement dell laptop (inspiron 8600). When I use it at
home, what is better for the battery?

- charge the laptop until it is full, then unplug and use it until it is
almost dead, then plug it in again ...
- keep the charger plugged in all the time
- use the laptop with the battery removed and keep the battery fully charged
- use the laptop with the battery removed; don't keep the battery fully
charged

peter wrote:
> I have a desktop replacement dell laptop (inspiron 8600). When I use it at
> home, what is better for the battery?
>
> - charge the laptop until it is full, then unplug and use it until it is
> almost dead, then plug it in again ...
> - keep the charger plugged in all the time
> - use the laptop with the battery removed and keep the battery fully charged
> - use the laptop with the battery removed; don't keep the battery fully
> charged

Batteries degrade through the charge/discharge process. When at home I
keep my 8500 on AC power with the battery in place. Battery is always
fully charged for whenever I need to go mobile.

--

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

NEVER deep discharge a lithium ion battery - doing so even once can
permanently damage it.

Li-ion batteries work best when topped up regularly. Whether you use it
or not, it will eventually deteriorate from age - 300-500 charge cycles,
or about 18 month-2 years before many no longer hold sufficient charge.

Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

> Li-ion batteries work best when topped up regularly. Whether you use it
> or not, it will eventually deteriorate from age - 300-500 charge cycles,
> or about 18 month-2 years before many no longer hold sufficient charge.

I think I am very lucky on this matter. I use the laptop all the day
and charge it two times each day (no power outlets where I am usually
working but a nice wlan instead!). Once charged, I can use the laptop
three hours (sometimes a bit more). About two years ago, a full charge
allows me to run the laptop up to four hours. I think that this battery
has more than 1000 charge cycles...

Certainly I am very happy with my used Latitude CPi laptop!

Igor.

Igor Sobrado <igor@no-spam.on.the.net> wrote:

> I think I am very lucky on this matter. I use the laptop all the day
> and charge it two times each day (no power outlets where I am usually
> working but a nice wlan instead!). Once charged, I can use the laptop
> three hours (sometimes a bit more). About two years ago, a full charge
> allows me to run the laptop up to four hours. I think that this battery
> has more than 1000 charge cycles...

Of course I do full charge/discharge cycles!

Igor.

millsy1991

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
From research that I have done, I always believed that the fully charge, then do not fill up again until about 15% rule was best. However, given how badly I had ruined my own battery life on my last laptop here are somethings you should definitely do whichever method you decide:

- When you do unplug, never plug back in until you reach below 20%
- Never disconnect the laptop from the charger until it reaches 100%
- Keep it on a lower power setting when you're just doing basic things like word/Facebook/emails/etc. so there's less draw from the battery
- Try to keep the battery as cool as possible (a chill mat works wonders!)

Hope this helps!

tangjigede

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Expect above average capacity and runtime with service life of around 500-600 cycles.
19.gif

boostedTurtle

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
You can turn off programs that you leave running in the background and disable any services in background such as Bluetooth or wifi. Dim your screen and if you have a keyboard back light you'll want to turn that off too.