Do I need a top end AGP

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I wanna know if I need a top end AGP card to do video editing everything and all other stuff besides gaming?

It seems to me the latest and greatest AGP's are not worth a pinch of [-peep-] when it comes to video or anything sensible! Give me a reason to upgrade to the latest if you can, ther lays the challenge?

Come on?

regard to all.

Scotty

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=24cd3646ec584db36d180555f4d4e868" target="_new">My PC</A>

Exactly what are you on about?

It seems to me the latest and greatest AGP's are not worth a pinch
In what way?

The Matrox Parahelia and current Radeons are unmatched by a PCI for video quality, nor do OLD AGP card come close.

And nothing beats an AGPPro 50/110 card (FireGL, Wildcat, Quadro) for quality.

And yes, you DO need a top-end AGP card for video editing, if it's top end video editing, otherwise the onboard graphics or PCI graphics you currently have should do fine.

However considering how detailed your question is (in cluding your specs/apps), then the proper answers are;

YES,
BECAUSE and,
Come on What?

As for the basic idea, get a Matrox 450/500 or an ATI R9000/9100/9200 and that should do you fine.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Just seems to me all the hype with the newest cards are really for the gamers, I am saying I do not need fps to run and burn videos and dvd's, a far as I am concerned the olde SiS 32MB graphics that will run all TV at 800x600 PAL is all we need. So why should I upgrade?

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=24cd3646ec584db36d180555f4d4e868" target="_new">My PC</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 04/21/03 00:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Simple, like I said, if you don't do any serious apps or games, then you don't need to. Onboard graphics should do you fine. On people doing serious work at high res. require it for video editing and animation. That's also why if you were BUYING a card right now and that's why you asked I said at the end of my post: Buy a Matrox 450/550. Best for video. And yes it is better in quality than your Sis. Wether you would notice the diff. I doubt it, but you MIGHT.
The whole thing is if you run whatever apps you run without problems, then you're fine, heck I currently have an ATI AIW 16mb PCI card in my machine until I get the 9600. Yes I notice the difference between it and the other two cards that were in the same machine (AIW 8500DV then my old RageFuryPro), you notice subtle things including DUAL monitor apps. However if you don't notice something that TRUELY causes you to cringe, then there is no need to upgrade. I want to upgrade THAT machine for game reasons, my editing machine will do fine for some time on an R9000NP 128mb, and by the time it outlives that I will either have the 9600 moved into it, or be using a totally different editing platform (Dual Opterons?) with PCI-X/EX card.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK