100% battery but won't power up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrT111

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi all,

I purchased a non-Dell replacement battery for my daughter's Vostro 1500 and I'm having a couple of issues. First, the battery shipped with 0% charge and it took almost 48 hours to charge the battery to 100%. I've always used desktops and that seems like an outrageous amount of time. Once it had charged, the system did not power up with the battery. Does not even attempt to power up.

I've flashed the BIOS, checked the properties of the battery in and out of the BIOS and both methods show the battery being good and charged to 100%. The AC adapter is a new Dell OEM charger made for this system and is operating at the required voltage. The laptop boots up fine using the adapter.

I'm not sure how I can even troubleshoot this problem and searching the web and this forum have turned up nothing that has helped.

Thanks very much in advance for any insight,

Mike

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Either that or the Battery is DOA
Boot up off the Charger, when in windows and it says the battery is at 100%, unplug the charger if it shuts off straight away or won't even last an hour you have a DOA battery.

Having spent many years in notebook repair i can tell you the cheap OEM battery is the same battery that dell uses just rebranded and with crazy markup

mrT111

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

COLGeek, The battery has the OEM part number for the Vostro 1500 in its list of part numbers right on the battery. I thought about the OEM battery but the cost is more than what the system is worth. I have the original Dell battery for the system, but it's past its useful life stage and I can't even use it for a test.

kitsunestarwind, I tried booting from the charger and then pulling the plug. It died instantaneously. Is it possible that the battery would show a full charge yet not have the required voltage to sustain the power?

I should add that pressing and holding the blister button on the battery itself also shows it as being fully charged using the diagnostic lights. And the battery manufacturer is willing to exchange the battery.

Maybe I'll see if there's a way to test the output voltage on the battery.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.