BYO Storyline Tournament Announcement: Ignatius Wainwright..

"Our vitae has been shed for nothing. Our elders in the Sabbat have
used us, and to what end? To fulfill their own dreams of power, to
plot against their so-called sect brothers, and to maintain the same
cruel systems of bondage that they claim to despise. We were told
that we were heroes, that we fought against the machinations of the
Antediluvians, that we sacrificed for the greater good of all our
kind. And when we went to war in Boston, we found none of this. We
fought and plotted and were sent to the Final Death not for a
glorious cause, but for simple greed. We have had enough."

Cristos Mantigo looked around the room steadily, searching the faces
of the other vampires here with him. They were largely the survivors
of the recent crusade, other members of the Sabbat who'd come into
the city with their packs, though there were also a few Camarilla
survivors of the recent battles, as well, and even a few Gangrel come
into the city to hear his speech. Their faces were alternately rapt
and enraged, perfect for his purposes.

"The time for obedience and acquiescence has come to an end. We must
face the night with bravery, again. Not the bravery of following
orders or watching our companions fall without reason, but the
bravery of embracing liberty. We must overthrow those who have taken
control not because they are fit to command, but because they have
never faced insubordination. We must be united in our resolve to seek
our own destinies."

Cristos felt something stir at the base of his neck, a sensation of
feathery fingertips brushing against his spine. He brushed at the
sensation unconsciously, and smiled. No one in the room noticed the
brief, hazy look in his eyes.

"I declare myself Baron of Boston, and I shall lead you to freedom."

*****

Little Tailor turned away from the window as Caliban entered the
room. The expert fleshcrafter had quit Prague at Cardinal Vykos'
urging, and it had been a worthwhile journey. After the crusade Vykos
had recommended Tailor for an archbishopric, and the Regent had
readily concurred. The office was turning out to be far more trouble
than Tailor had anticipated, however.

"Nothing," Caliban reported, eyes downcast. "We found the remains of
what I can only presume was a Gargoyle, but the chamber itself held
nothing but dust."

Tailor's yellow eyes narrowed behind his steel-framed glasses, but
his voice was light and gentle. "Ellen Fence has reported seeing
Joseph O'Grady amongst the gang of anarchs who seemed to be setting
up that damned newspaper office downtown. More and more Gangrel have
been skulking around the borders of the city, wandering into Boston
for Caine-knows-what purpose. And now you tell me that the chamber
that was our reason for storming Boston, a crusade which Cardinal
Vykos had personally overseen due to its importance, is empty."

Caliban, wisely, said nothing. Though he had only met the Little
Butcher a few nights ago, the thing's temper was legendary. Tailor
turned back to the window, thoughtfully trailing one elongated talon
down its surface.

Tailor felt an odd impression, as though another person were looking
at the younger vampire before him through his eyes. He felt his anger
becoming pointed, purposeful. And the feeling passed.

"Gather the packs," he instructed softly. "Prepare the war parties.
Convince any Gangrel you can to join us, and mark the rest for
destruction. Our war for the city, it would seem, has not yet come
to a close." Caliban turned to follow his orders, but not before
noticing that the Little Butcher.s form had already begun to swell
and shift into a shape more suitable for bloodshed.

*****

Xaviar watched as the last few of his clanmates loped off into the
woods. The Revel had been a greater success than he'd hoped, though
he'd been surprised at the large numbers of anarchs in attendance.
Had this been what he'd hoped for when he'd warned his brethren to
leave the Camarilla?

Nadima stood at his side, watchful as ever. As the last few Gangrel
disappeared through the trees, heading for the city, she looked at
him strangely, head tiled to one side.

"Counseling war, Xaviar? It seems odd behavior for you. Though I've
never known you to flee a fight yourself, I'd have thought that the
recent troubles with our former sect would have left you feeling more
cautious."

Xaviar rubbed at his cheeks, looking troubled. "The anarchs in the
city are getting more and more out of hand, and the Sabbat is going
to greater and greater lengths to assure their control after their
victory. We need to be there to make sure that neither side wins."

Nadima nodded slowly, her bright eyes boring into his. "Of course.
But still, it seems a little out of character for you to call a
Gather so abruptly, given that you've never cared about Boston
before. As a matter of fact, you were merely passing through, or so
you told me."

Xaviar turned to her sharply, her words bringing his own doubts about
his actions over the past few nights back. But she was already
dispersing into a thick mist, her body only tenuously holding its
shape.

"I'll be watching you," she breathed, and he found himself oddly
comforted by the thought.

*****

The street was lit by the savage fire in the burning library as the
last few anarchs scattered into back alleys, but Ignatius Wainwright
could not feel the heat of the flames even though he stood only a few
yards away. He folded shadows around himself, hiding himself away
from any other eyes that might be observing him in the lands of the
dead, as he watched the library blaze. He'd seen several of the
Tzimisce hunting in the building over the last few nights, and
silently congratulated himself on another small victory. The Sabbat
would retaliate against the anarchs for their action, and Ignatius
would be more than happy to use that reprisal as a way to add fuel to
the anarchs' rebellion.

Ignatius, a native of Atlanta, had fled that city when that damned
upstart Giovanni ghoul had nearly discovered the Black Thorn Codex,
an ancient book of necromantic rituals and Ignatius' last link to the
lands of the living. He'd arranged for the book to be transported
north, possessing a mortal to carry the Codex for him. He had stopped
in Boston, judging it to be a safe enough place to secure the tome.
Then the shadowlands had exploded in a maelstrom, and he'd been
propelled deep below the city by the force of the storm.s eruption.
He'd become trapped in a strange chamber far below the city, the book
torn from his grasp. He had been safe there, but shortly thereafter
he felt the tugging of necromancy attempting to pull him out of his
prison and haven. The chamber itself had protected him, though he
still didn't fully understand why. He knew well enough why the
Giovanni were trying to summon him, though, and had grown desperate
to escape.

Pure chance, perhaps, that the creature Ignatius recognized as a
Gargoyle had cracked open the walls of his cage. Perhaps it was more
than chance, but he had no desire to ignore what might be his only
opportunity to regain the Codex. Ignatius had been a Tremere himself,
a long time ago, and knew well enough what the rocky creature before
him was capable of. Easy enough to slip into its skin and turn it
against its master in white robes, who responded by destroying the
monster and fleeing.

He had quickly discovered that the Giovanni had been driven out of
the city shortly before he had escaped, and had quickly taken stock
of the situation in the city. The Sabbat were in control of the city,
barely, and he knew he had to take advantage of their tenuous
foothold before they discovered why the Giovanni had been digging
beneath the city. It was easy enough to take control of a few
disgruntled ancillae and neonates and convince others that it was
their own idea to rebel against their masters.

A number of Gangrel had gathered outside the city, and it was
similarly simple to lead them into Boston on the pretense that they
should act on the chaos there to further their own ends. Ignatius had
every intent of keeping the three factions at each others' throats,
until every last one of them had destroyed each other, if need be.
"The enemy of mine enemy," Ignatius whispered, "knows not what he
fights, nor whose banner he carries."

He set out in the direction of the war parties' cries, smiling
grimly.

***********

Thus begins the next chapter in the Boston Build-Your-Own-Storyline
story arc (previous chapters of the story will be available on our
website at some point).

Here are the tournament details:

Ignatius Wainwright: Boston
Sunday, June 26th
Starts at NOON.
Booster Draft*
3 rounds + Final
Entry Fee: $2 + cost of boosters. Instead of the $2, you may instead
donate any number of boosters to prize support/cost-reduction for
other players.

Ignatius Wainwright is pitting the Sabbat and Anarchs against each
other in Boston, hoping to wipe them both out in the process.
4 Sabbat War boosters, and 4 Anarchs boosters will be drafted.
Minimum crypt size is 7, minimum library size is 40. If your library
is exhausted, you may take a Discard Phase action to reshuffle your
library and crypt ash heaps back into their respective piles.

Ignatius Wainwright will begin play in the center of the table
(hopefully with a nicely printed version). Here is his text:

Ignatius Wainwright
Ally
Cost: 3 pool
Unique Wraith with 2 life, 2 strength, 0 bleed.
Ignatius has +1 stealth on all actions and is immune to
non-aggravated damage. He can not block vampires. You may tap
Ignatius and burn the Edge to play a card from your ash heap as if it
were in your hand; remove that card from the game when it is burned.

SPECIAL EVENT RULES:

* Whenever any Methuselah gains the Edge, that Methuselah gains
control of Ignatius Wainwright.

* Whenever Ignatius leaves play, return him to the center of the
table instead.

* The cardless action to Go Anarch is free.

* There is an additional free cardless action:
As a +1 stealth action, any non-Sabbat, non-Anarch, non-titled
vampire may gain a Sabbat counter (if the vampire changes sects, burn
the counter).

* Ignatius's controller may tap him and burn the Edge to put an
Anarch counter or Sabbat counter onto a vampire he controls. You
can't place Anarch counters on Anarch vampires, or Sabbat counters on
Sabbat vampires. But, contrary to the previously-stated rules, you
*can* do this to a titled vampire, and you can also turn an Anarch
into Sabbat. (If you use this ability on a titled vampire, it
follows the normal rules of changing sect).

There are no official "teams" in this event, but feel free to
represent your side. Make notes of any interesting occurrences,
especially when Anarchs and Sabbat clash, or when any of the
characters mentioned in the stories make an appearance.

Hope to see you all there!

Josh "Jozxyqk" Feuerstein
Prince of Boston
Happy that my internet at home is working again..
(Sorry for monocleofclarity.com downtime; there will be a little bit
more but it should stabilize in July)

Jozxyqk <jfeuerst@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> Here are the tournament details:

> Ignatius Wainwright: Boston
> Sunday, June 26th
> Starts at NOON.

Oops, I forgot to mention Location :)
Your Move Games, Somerville, MA

Email me for more details (jodaff @ yahoo.com)
Josh "Jozxyqk" Feuerstein
Prince of Boston

That seems very interesting, i'd love to read a report when you're
done!

A suggestion, a question and a nitpick about the rules:

The tap n' burn edge ability for Ignatius should only be allowed in the
untap phase, IMO, as otherwise you could kill a lot of titles with
temporary steal effects.

Does Ignatius untap when you gain control of him? He might not be of
much use otherwise...

Is a vampire with the Sabbat counter Sabbat? ;P

Jozxyqk wrote:
> * There is an additional free cardless action:
> As a +1 stealth action, any non-Sabbat, non-Anarch, non-titled
> vampire may gain a Sabbat counter (if the vampire changes sects, burn
> the counter).

Interesting. Does a Sabbat counter do anything?

Arden McBathan <sonnenkoenig207@aol.com> wrote:
> A suggestion, a question and a nitpick about the rules:

> The tap n' burn edge ability for Ignatius should only be allowed in the
> untap phase, IMO, as otherwise you could kill a lot of titles with
> temporary steal effects.

In this format (SW+Anarchs), temporary-steal effects aren't going to be that
common. Mind Rape is pretty much it.
And since the title-stripping thing is not on his main text, but is
event-specific, I'm not worried.
Not to mention, if your title is stripped by Iggy and then you get your
vampire back, it only takes one cardless +1-stealth action to regain
the title...

> Does Ignatius untap when you gain control of him? He might not be of
> much use otherwise...

I'll have to think about this one. My feeling is that it's probably not
necessary, but I'll discuss it with my "storyline team".

> Is a vampire with the Sabbat counter Sabbat? ;P

Yes. I didn't think I needed to spell that out.

Emmit Svenson <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Jozxyqk wrote:
> > * There is an additional free cardless action:
> > As a +1 stealth action, any non-Sabbat, non-Anarch, non-titled
> > vampire may gain a Sabbat counter (if the vampire changes sects, burn
> > the counter).

> Interesting. Does a Sabbat counter do anything?

Wow, I thought that this was blatantly obvious, but you're the 3rd
person to ask the question. I didn't realize I needed to spell out "a
Sabbat counter makes you Sabbat".

A vampire with an Allegiance counter is Camarilla (thanks to Tegyrius).
A vampire with an Anarch counter is an Anarch (and Independent).
A vampire with a Sabbat counter is Sabbat.

TRENDING THREADS