Barbed Wire Project- Brujah

Hey Everybody,

I am out to try and build more players here in Dallas. The introduction

of a new player into the game to the game presents an intriguing set of

problems. Teaching them the intricacies of the game is a bit hard, but
I feel that's been pretty well solved already (at least, as best it can

be given the complexity of the game).

What you ideally would like to do is to get the new player playing as
part of your regular play group. Here is where it gets tricky. The deck

he will be playing will not be up to par with everyone elses deck.
While the multiplayer nature of VTES means that the table can react to

the fact that the new player's deck is not so good, that only goes so
far. This problem is often solved by giving the newbie a
sneak-and-bleed deck, but the problem then becomes the fact that he
only has one deck to play. He sees the rest of the group playing decks
that are doing snazzy thing and he tries to balance the desire to go
further into the game with the financial cost of doing so. This is the

problem I am trying to address.

I believe that when barbed wire was first introduced to the west that
one of the sales pitches was that it was, "Cheap as dirt and strong as
whiskey." That's what I'm trying to go for here, a series of decks that

are as cheap as dirt (i.e. you can give away/trade cheap multiple decks

without costing yourself) but strong enough to hold up to a table or
more expensive decks.

The fact that you are going to be giving away multiple decks dictates
that any such deck adhere to certain parameters: it can't contain more
than a few copies of any given card- I drew the line at five; it can't
utilize cards that you wouldn't freely want to give away- so loading
up on majesties and voter caps in your venture deck is probably not a
good idea.

To solve these problems I have made deck primarily of rarely used Jyhad

cards and limited the deck size to 60 cards. I have endeavored to make
one deck from each clan. Here is the Brujah deck. Let me know what
you think.

Crypt
Don Cruz - The Idealist 10 Cap PRE POT CEL dom ani pro Juticar May pay
1 for 1 maneuver
Helena Casimir 9 Cap PRE POT DOM cel for Primogen +1 Bleed
Tura Vaughn 8 Cap PRE POT CEL dom Primogen
Anvil 6 Cap POT CEL pre dom tha
1 Extra Copy of Tura or Anvil
Adrianne 6 Cap pre aus cel pot +1 Bleed
1 of either Rake or Bianca
Black Cat 5 Cap CEL pot pre
Yuri the Talon 4 Cap pot pre cel
Hector Sosa 4 Cap POT pre
Dre- Leader of the Cold Dawn 3 Cap pot cel
Lupo 2 Cap pot

Master Cards 11
3xCelerity
1xPresence
2xMinion Tap
2xHaven Uncovered
3xShort Term Investment

Actions 12
2xBum's Rush/Harass/Ambush
1xDisputed Territory
9x(A mix of Legal Manipulations, Enchant Kindred, and Social Charm)

Combat 24
5xThrown Gate
5xThrown Sewer Lid
4xFlash
4xSideslip
6x(A mix of Nimble Feet, Acrobatics, & Blur)

Allies 3
3xLoyal Street Gang (you can swap in The Knights and The Slashers if
you want)

Reaction 10
3xWake with Evening's Freshness
5xDeflection
2xPoison Pill

SFB: you mean that game with all those counters and that horrendous
rulebook where it seemed like you spent more time being an accountant
than a ship's captain? Naw, never heard of it.

Peter D Bakija wrote:
> Preston wrote:
> > Actions 12
> > 2xBum's Rush/Harass/Ambush
> > 1xDisputed Territory
> > 9x(A mix of Legal Manipulations, Enchant Kindred, and Social Charm)
>
> I'd probably turn the Disputed Territory into another Bum's Rush.

I'm a fan of Arson in that slot. When you target a location they
really like, it acts much like a bum's rush. But it also gives you the
flexibility to use it on a location when they are tapped out and can't
block it. Though, it probably fits better in a fight-only deck as
oppossed to the bruise and bleed variety since the bleed piece makes it
less likely that they'll be tapped out in front of you.

-Robert

>> 3xLoyal Street Gang (you can swap in The Knights and The Slashers if
>> you want)

>Huh. Interesting. Maybe go with two of these, and another more useful card,
>like a Wake or something?

Yea, I like these cause they are weenie blockers. They can also play
the posion pill. They allow you to save your wakes for when they
stealth bleed by the gangs so that you can deflect them.

"I'm a fan of Arson in that slot. When you target a location they
really like, it acts much like a bum's rush. But it also gives you the
flexibility to use it on a location when they are tapped out and can't
block it. Though, it probably fits better in a fight-only deck as
oppossed to the bruise and bleed variety since the bleed piece makes it

less likely that they'll be tapped out in front of you.
-Robert "

Well if we are going to play Arson, what's wrong with Disputed
Territory?

Peter,

I was joking BTW, yes I used to play SFB. I don't like Uma because she
doesn't have potence and that's the key to the strikes in the deck.

Matt,

Myself I prefer STI over Ascendance. STI allows you to put all your
master phase actions to use while running with fewer master cards than
you would otherwise need to. Sure it's four for two pool, but if you
weren't really using em anyway, than it's certainly better than not
using them. As for the Street Gang, I really feel it's a nice addition
because it allows me to go forward with all the vamp minions and leave
the gang back to chump block. It's not like a vamp was going to block
the stealth bleeds anyhow, and having the street gang there makes them
put stealth on the bleed which makes a wake-deflect more powerful.

Just my thoughts,
Preston

Preston wrote:

> Crypt
> Don Cruz - The Idealist 10 Cap PRE POT CEL dom ani pro Juticar
> Helena Casimir 9 Cap PRE POT DOM cel for Primogen +1 Bleed
> Tura Vaughn 8 Cap PRE POT CEL dom Primogen
> Anvil 6 Cap POT CEL pre dom tha
> 1 Extra Copy of Tura or Anvil
> Adrianne 6 Cap pre aus cel pot +1 Bleed
> 1 of either Rake or Bianca
> Black Cat 5 Cap CEL pot pre
> Yuri the Talon 4 Cap pot pre cel
> Hector Sosa 4 Cap POT pre
> Dre- Leader of the Cold Dawn 3 Cap pot cel
> Lupo 2 Cap pot

Go with 2x Anvil ('cause he is bombtastic). Remove Adrianne for Bianca (+1
str/CEL goes a long way in this deck). Put in Rake, 'cause he is a cheap
prince which is always useful. And with no equipment, I'd be inclined to
swap out Black Cat for Uma Hatch. So I'd have a crypt of:

1x Don Cruez (10)
1x Helena Casmir (9)
1x Tura Vaughn (8)
2x Anvil (6)
1x Bianca (6)
1x Rake (6)
1x Yuri (4)
1x Hector (4)
1x Uma Hatch (3)
1x Dre (3)
1x Lupo (2)

That way you have 5x vamps with Dominate for the Deflection angle, which is
very key. I might even consider replacing Don Cruez with a second Tura
Vaughn--yeah, you lose the Justicar, but an 8 is much better than a 10.

> Master Cards 11
> 3xCelerity
> 1xPresence
> 2xMinion Tap
> 2xHaven Uncovered
> 3xShort Term Investment

Reasonable.

> Actions 12
> 2xBum's Rush/Harass/Ambush
> 1xDisputed Territory
> 9x(A mix of Legal Manipulations, Enchant Kindred, and Social Charm)

I'd probably turn the Disputed Territory into another Bum's Rush. And you
might want to, like, mix a Conditioning in the bleed cards, like, say, 4
Legal Manipulations, 4 Enchant Kindred, 1 Conditioning for the occasional
super bleed bomb of, like, 5 so you can get really defelcted :)

> Combat 24
> 5xThrown Gate
> 5xThrown Sewer Lid
> 4xFlash
> 4xSideslip
> 6x(A mix of Nimble Feet, Acrobatics, & Blur)

Good.

> Allies 3
> 3xLoyal Street Gang (you can swap in The Knights and The Slashers if
> you want)

Huh. Interesting. Maybe go with two of these, and another more useful card,
liek a Wake or something?

> Reaction 10
> 3xWake with Evening's Freshness
> 5xDeflection
> 2xPoison Pill

Reasonable. Pretty good looking deck.

So hey, Preston--are you an SFB player? I think I saw your name in some old
Captain's Log.

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil

Peter D Bakija <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote:
>So I'd have a crypt of:
> 1x Don Cruez (10)
> 1x Helena Casmir (9)
> 1x Tura Vaughn (8)
> 2x Anvil (6)
> 1x Bianca (6)
> 1x Rake (6)
> 1x Yuri (4)
> 1x Hector (4)
> 1x Uma Hatch (3)
> 1x Dre (3)
> 1x Lupo (2)
>
> That way you have 5x vamps with Dominate for the Deflection angle,
> which is very key. I might even consider replacing Don Cruez with a
> second Tura Vaughn--yeah, you lose the Justicar, but an 8 is much
> better than a 10.
>
>> Master Cards 11
>> 3xCelerity
>> 1xPresence
>> 2xMinion Tap
>> 2xHaven Uncovered
>> 3xShort Term Investment
>
> Reasonable.

If you go with this crypt, Peter, why not switch the Masters to:
2x Celerity
2x Presence
2(3)x Minion Tap
2x Haven Uncovered
3(2)x Sudden Reversal

No reason not to go for 2/2 cel/pre that I can see, as the combat/bleed
look equally important, and the crypt looks equally in need of both
disciplines. Use the Suddens for stopping Blood Doll and Minion Tap from
your prey, which would also seem far, far more important than the minimal
amount of bloodgain you'd receive from STI, assuming other Barbed Wire
decks will be sitting at the table.

> Peter D Bakija
> pdb6@lightlink.com
> http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

Preston wrote:

> Well if we are going to play Arson, what's wrong with Disputed
> Territory?

Disputed Territory requires passing a vote, which you often won't be able to
do with this deck. An Arson will work about the same amount of time, but as
it is at zero stealth, is also more likely to get you in a fight, which
might be good too. DT is at +1 stealth, so if you call it when you can't
pass it, is a wasted action, and if you call it when youd rather be in a
fight, you probably are wasting an action too. Still, in this particular
instance, I'd rather have the 3rd Rush, but given the choice between Arson
and DT, I'd take Arson.

Preston wrote:

> Yea, I like these cause they are weenie blockers. They can also play
> the posion pill. They allow you to save your wakes for when they
> stealth bleed by the gangs so that you can deflect them.

Oh, sure, they aren't horrible or anything, but 3 is probably more thna you
need. Maybe a Loyal Street Gang and a Arms Dealer (who is free)?

Preston wrote:

> I was joking BTW, yes I used to play SFB.

Yeah, gethered. So that was you in the CL from, like, 10 years ago. Funny.

> I don't like Uma because she
> doesn't have potence and that's the key to the strikes in the deck.

Oh, sure, but she has the pre for chump bleeding and the cel to avoid
getting killed if she accidentally gets caught. That, and she's hot.

Kevin M. wrote:

> If you go with this crypt, Peter, why not switch the Masters to:
> 2x Celerity
> 2x Presence
> 2(3)x Minion Tap
> 2x Haven Uncovered
> 3(2)x Sudden Reversal

Also reasonable.

Preston wrote:

> Myself I prefer STI over Ascendance. STI allows you to put all your
> master phase actions to use while running with fewer master cards than
> you would otherwise need to.

Yeah, I really like investments in decks where you can't risk lots of
master cards jamming your hand but still don't want the master phase
actions to be wasted. I've made good use of Secret Horde in similar
decks. With Secret Horde, depending on when you get the card in hand,
you can adjust the amount of pool you spend. For example, starting the
game with a Secret Horde in hand you can put several pool on it and you
are set for a long time. Ratchet that down in the mid-game. Most
importantly, you can play it for 0 pool--a key benefit over STI in
circunstances wehre you can't afford to spend even 1 pool.

-Robert

Robert Goudie wrote:

>you can play it (Secret Horde) for 0 pool

Secret Horde card text:
Burn Secret Horde when the last counter is removed.

Soooo...Secret horde would be in play indefinitely? ;-D

Hi,

is there a place where the final versions of the Barbed Wire Projects decks
are stored ?

regards

pallando
-------------
pallando(at)gmx(dot)at

mummy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002

> Secret Horde card text:
> Burn Secret Horde when the last counter is removed.
>
> Soooo...Secret horde would be in play indefinitely? ;-D

Ah, you've stumbled onto the snazzy Secret Horde/Goth Band tech! :)

mummy

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002

Why not Rampage instead of Arson? The entire crypt has Potence and you
can replace the card immediately. I realize that these decks are
supposed to be "cheap as dirt", but what veteran really can't spare a
Rampage?

-Jon

Yea, if it's to be an action to burn, Rampage is it.

mummy wrote:
> Why not Rampage instead of Arson? The entire crypt has Potence and you
> can replace the card immediately. I realize that these decks are
> supposed to be "cheap as dirt", but what veteran really can't spare a
> Rampage?
>
> -Jon

Heh heh. Yeah, see, if its an Arson, then there is more reason to use
Uma Hatch...

-Peter

Preston wrote:
> Yea, if it's to be an action to burn, Rampage is it.

Ah, right. That's what I meant. I've got Rampage in the weenie potence
deck...not Arson. In fact, I've actually used the +1 to destroy my own
location as part of a deal. Guess it might be useful if Arika appears
on your right...though beating her up is a better option.

-Robert

You can Disputed Territory to steal a location, then Rampage to blow it
up at stealth.

Tech!

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Robert Goudie wrote:

> Preston wrote:
>> Yea, if it's to be an action to burn, Rampage is it.
>
> Ah, right. That's what I meant. I've got Rampage in the weenie potence
> deck...not Arson. In fact, I've actually used the +1 to destroy my own
> location as part of a deal. Guess it might be useful if Arika appears
> on your right...though beating her up is a better option.

Except you can already burn your own location without a card or an action
if Arika is controlled by your predator.

The best use I can think for Rampaging your own location is to blow up a
Rack or Powerbase: Montreal that's bloating the table too much.

Matt Morgan

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Robert Goudie wrote:
>
> > Preston wrote:
> >> Yea, if it's to be an action to burn, Rampage is it.
> >
> > Ah, right. That's what I meant. I've got Rampage in the weenie potence
> > deck...not Arson. In fact, I've actually used the +1 to destroy my own
> > location as part of a deal. Guess it might be useful if Arika appears
> > on your right...though beating her up is a better option.
>
> Except you can already burn your own location without a card or an action
> if Arika is controlled by your predator.

Well, I suppose you could do that....if you want to give her the
satisfaction. I'll have none of that, however. Take *that* Arika! In
your face! :)

> The best use I can think for Rampaging your own location is to blow up a
> Rack or Powerbase: Montreal that's bloating the table too much.

Hey, that's good. Stealing stuff is so temporary.

-Robert

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Peter D Bakija wrote:

> Maybe if at superior it was like "As above, and if blocked, the acting
> minion has +1 strength for the resulting combat" would be good. Or some
> completely different, yet thematically linked ability that I can't think of
> currently. Something would be nice.

"As above, but if this action is blocked and this minion is still ready
after combat and the opposing minion is not ready, then this action
continues as if unblocked."

That would be SO GOOD!

Matt Morgan