MSI X460DX Slowdown issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalkerfang

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hey guys, 2 weeks ago I bought the MSI X460DX 14 inch laptop. It arrived in the mail, set up perfectly, and I started playing games (BF3, Arkham City, Minecraft) on it, just fine ( BF3 was running at medium to ultra settings above 30fps).

Anyway, a few days ago, i was playing around, trying to install the server software for minecraft (following instructions from http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server ), so me and some friends could play together, along with some texture packs to try out. Anyway, when I next started Minecraft up, I noticed that the game was running incredibly slow, around 3-10 FPS. After about 5 minutes of walking around, the game crashed, spitting out the error "Oops- Not enough Memory".

I didn't think anything of it at the time, and shut the computer down. Anyway, today, I was trying to play Battlefield 3, and the exact same problem occured- I got a framerate of around 3-10fps, and after about 20 seconds, I got kicked from the server.

Now I have a few ideas as to what could be causing this, but am not really sure if I'm on the right track... Could it be the laptop isnt switching from the Integrated Intel HD 3000 to the GT540m? The power light is changing, showing it SHOULD be using the gaming mode, but I could of screwed it when messing around with the system path for Java... (I am a total noob to this, so if this is completely off, cut me some slack :p )

Is it a problem with the RAM? Not enough RAM being assigned to the games? that would explain Minecraft's "not enough Memory" message, but idk...

Anyway, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, as I am currently stumped as to what has happened :(

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Minecraft but based on what you stated, the problem started right after you installed the server program.

#1 - Try reinstalling the nVidia drivers. Go to MSI's website to download it, unless there is a copy of it on the hard drive. You cannot simply go to nVidia's website to download the latest drivers. Laptops with switchable graphics have custom drivers developed by the laptop's manufacturer. In your case it is MSI.

#2 - Uninstall the server program.

Status
Not open for further replies.