Sign in with
Your question

Few Technical clarifications for new Gaming Laptop

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
January 12, 2012 1:35:14 PM

Hi

I am planning to buy a "Value for Money" gaming laptop with budget of $1500-1600 .

I have shortlisted NP 8170 with following configuration:

1. 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED Backlit Glare Type Display, Super-Wide Viewing Angles
2. AMD Radeon HD 6990M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory
3. Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.1GHz), 6MB Smart Cache
4. IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
5. SSD HArd Drive - 64 GB
6. Blu Ray drive and other components. There is no pre installed OS and Software but thats not an issue for me.

I have few technical questions:

1. GPU: My intention is that this should be able to play game for next 1-2 years and then I intend to simply add another Radeon HD 6990M in SLI with this card so I can use this for 1-2 years more.My question is: DO I need to specify at the time of orderinhg what Motherboard should I use so I can add a GPU
later? or there are additional slots already available in laptop motherboards.( I am ok if every game is not played at highest details/resolution)

2. SSD Hard Drive: I am planning to just add one SSD hard drive as primary hard drive . I will buy a 1 TB external hard drive for storing data. The SSD will be used only for OS and installing softwares/games. Question: If my SSD crashes, than can I use an external hard disk as Primary hard drive. In my desktop, my primary hard disk crashed. SO I use a USB external hard disk as primary Hard drive with windows installed in one partition (there is no internal hard drive in my desktop). Can the same be done in laptops? I am asking these as SSD are known to fail suddenly.

3. Reseller: I have shortlisted xoticpc, Powernotebooks and malibal. The cost is more or less same. Which has better support service?

4. Most of these give additional discount for cash payment? Is this option safe or should I use credit card?

Its my first time buying a gaming laptop as I have so far only used desktops.

Thanks
January 12, 2012 1:41:27 PM

1. Laptop motherboards are custom made for a specific model. They don't have extra slots to upgrade the graphics, that's why laptops are not great for gaming. Basically, you will be stuck with whatever the laptop comes with.
2. If the laptop has two bays, I would get an 80-120GB SSD for your OS/games and put in a 500-1TB in the second bay for data. BACK UP your data with an external.
m
l
January 12, 2012 1:57:19 PM

I would agree on the SSD - get as big of an SSD as you can manage.
Frankly 64GB would vanish but quick with OS and 1 or 2 modern games installed on it.
m
l
January 12, 2012 3:47:09 PM

Thanks kawininjazx and JayTeague

I will increase ssd drive but there is only one bay. SO second will be external. just wanted to know if i can reboot laptop from that if ssd crashes.

And is there no way to add gpu later? that means I will have to add extra money for better gpu
m
l
Related resources
!