Official Washington DC 2005 Qualifier results

Yes, the NAC approaches, and another Washington DC-area VTES qualifier
has come to pass. We drew a most impressive 43 players this year, all
willing to brave the heat, humidity, and my own late arrival in pursuit
of that Mark of the Damned we know as "being qualified".

Thanks to White Wolf and Dream Wizards for the support, and to all the
players who came out to make it such a success, both numerically and
(from what I saw) in upholding the spirit of the game.

Out of our 43 attendees, 7 were already qualified, and 3 more decided
to forgo their qualifying spots, so with 33 eligible contestants, we
had 9 newly qualified players. They are:

John Mickle (aka "sporemage37")
Wayne Chin
Tobin Lopes
Shawn Stanley
Sean Harrington
Peter Oh
David Cherryholmes
Dan Keller
Pat Lusk

Congratulations one and all! And good luck in the championships in
Indianapolis, Budapest, or wherever your travels may take you. :)

Here are the final tournament rankings. Players with a * after their
name are those already qualified; players with a - are those who gave
up their qualifying eligibility.

Final Prelim Prelim Final
Rank Name GWs VPs VPs TPs

1 Matt Morgan * 2 9.5 1.5 168
2 John Mickle 1 7 1.5 156
3 Wayne Chin 2 7 0.5 144
4 Oscar Garza - 2 7 0 162
5 Tobin Lopes 1 7 0 156
6 Shawn Stanley 1 6 156
7 Jason Babbitt - 1 5.5 156
8 Sean Harrington 1 5 132
8 Peter Oh 1 5 132
10 David Cherryholmes 1 5 126
11 Dan Keller 1 5 120
12 Matt Hirsch * 1 4.5 132
13 Pat Lusk 1 4 138
14 Chris Cavett - 1 4 132
15 Vincent Crisafulli 1 4 126
15 Ethan Levi 1 4 126
17 Matt Flint 1 4 102
17 Shane Strait 1 4 102
19 Eric Chiang * 1 3 132
20 Nick Watkins * 1 3 102
21 Jason Davis 1 2.5 108
22 Jonathan Mason 0 2.5 120
23 Kevin Mullen 0 2.5 114
24 Brian Hess 0 2 114
25 Gary Kwan * 0 2 108
26 John McGlynn 0 2 102
27 Jon Sushinsky 0 2 96
28 Ryan Taylor 0 1.5 96
29 Gregory Williams 0 1 90
29 Bekki Carlsson 0 1 90
31 Peter Kapsalis * 0 1 84
31 Aaron Steele 0 1 84
33 Shawn Stutzel 0 0.5 84
34 Steve Holmer 0 0 78
34 Adam Hulse 0 0 78
36 Forrest Nielsen 0 0 66
36 Jason Schneiderman 0 0 66
36 Lucas Gabriel 0 0 66
36 Nick Coelius 0 0 66
40 Jeff Thompson 0 0 60
40 Erik Carlsson 0 0 60
40 Josh Feuerstein * 0 0 60
43 James Wilhelm 0 0 54

Congratulations to Matt on winning the whole thing, to the finalists on
an excellent performance, and thanks again to everyone for making it a
fun day of VTES. Matt has posted his winning decklist already; see the
message at:
groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/c870f93b0d2d0aa1
for details.

See you next year! (Or possibly sooner.)

Josh
(vekn prince of washington dc)

jtduffin@yahoo.com wrote:
> Out of our 43 attendees, 7 were already qualified, and 3 more decided
> to forgo their qualifying spots, so with 33 eligible contestants, we
> had 9 newly qualified players. They are:
>
> John Mickle (aka "sporemage37")
> Wayne Chin
> Tobin Lopes
> Shawn Stanley
> Sean Harrington
> Peter Oh
> David Cherryholmes
> Dan Keller
> Pat Lusk

Cherryholmes! Now you can come to Origins and you don't have to worry
about playing all those hardcore decks, as you're already qualified. Just
look at Origins as a way to field all your "experimental" decks BEFORE
GenCon! That way, you'll wreck at the NAC! Truth! ;D

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

I watched him lay down 4 computer hacks in a row (and a fata morgana
chucked in for good measure) in the first round. His deck was eeeeevil.

re: Shawn in USA

On 24 Jun 2005 19:24:17 -0700, david.cherryholmes@gmail.com scrawled:

>I watched him lay down 4 computer hacks in a row (and a fata morgana
>chucked in for good measure) in the first round. His deck was eeeeevil.

and he told me apparently some idiot over there has traded him another
week of nightmares. what was that guy thinking?!?!?! i'm probably
going to have to play against that beast in 3 more months or so.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

jtduffin@yahoo.com wrote:

players with a - are those who gave
> up their qualifying eligibility.
> 4 Oscar Garza - 2 7 0 162

Are White Wolf employees specifically prohibited from playing in the
Championships? And ergo can't qualify anyway?

best

chris shorb

> > 4 Oscar Garza - 2 7 0 162
>
> Are White Wolf employees specifically prohibited from playing in the
> Championships? And ergo can't qualify anyway?

They aren't, as far as the tourney rules state. Players can either play
in tournaments or they can't per the tourney rules; there's no special
subset for Championships - except that the Multi-Judge system cannot be
used in Championships (or qualifiers), and so the tournament organizer
of record and the head judge cannot play in them (and usually, these
are the same person; for the NAC these roles are almost certainly both
LSJ.)

However, undoubtedly some other White Wolf employees will be too busy
working (for instance, manning the White Wolf booth in the dealer room)
to participate.

> chris shorb
> --

-John Flournoy