Sign in with
Your question

P3B-F Asus Graphics card, please recommend me one.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2003 10:53:32 PM

I'm currently using an old computer with the following specs :

PIII 600mhz
256MB SDRAM (PC-100)
geforce2 MX 32MB
Asus P3B-F Mobo (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/archives/mbp3bf.zip for specs)
Windows 98 SE

I need a new video card, anything that can run faster than the current one I have. People told me that I should only stick with AGP 2 or 1 capable cards, and not ones that can do 4-8, since they have different voltages... Or something. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
April 23, 2003 3:30:40 AM

Anyone? :\
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2003 4:30:12 AM

I own that board myself, it's compatable with every gaming card on the planet. I suggest a Radeon 9500 Pro as a good card for it.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
Related resources
April 23, 2003 4:33:20 AM

Is that the slocket mobo?
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2003 4:48:35 AM

It's a Slot 1 board, I'm using an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter in mine with a Celeron 1100 overclocked to 1540MHz.

April 23, 2003 4:55:28 AM

OK Crash, this question's burnin' me, so I must ask... As much as you know, and as much as you've taught here, why are you running that setup?. This is in no way meant to offend you, I know what you mean to this community, but I always imagined you having some radical equipment. Be harsh if you must.
April 23, 2003 4:59:39 AM

Crashman : :o  And I thought I was the only one using it... What's an 'upgradeware slot-t' though?

I'm thinking of using a geforce3 for it, perhaps a little more ram, and a new power supply. Btw, wouldn't the speed of those AGP 4+ cards drop to AGP 2, since thats the highest the P3B-F can handle? :\
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2003 5:26:36 AM

Because it does everything I need quickly? I mean, I BUILD for people with MORE MONEY than I have!

April 23, 2003 5:39:11 AM

Crash, I understand, but system builders like yourself usually get alot of hand-me-down components. I myself have given away a few mobos and processor's just from upgrading my own stuff. Components usually get passed from one friend to another. Maybe the comeradery is just a little higher where I live. Thanks for the answer.
April 23, 2003 5:59:05 AM

this is true

my old boss had like 10 extra hdds, tons of old working mobos and a hundred old processors.. everything from pentuim 1's up to pentuim3.. he even got a 1.2 athlon once

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

My friends Gaming Review Site. Check it out.
"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down
April 23, 2003 6:15:56 AM

what does that have to do with anything?

Ride the North Shore B.C.
April 23, 2003 6:25:41 AM

you said that people who fix computers often get hand me downs.

i was supporting what you said.

take the stick outta your ass man. it seems to be making your really grumpy

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

April 23, 2003 6:46:57 AM

please dont breed.

April 23, 2003 6:51:53 AM

and you say i make stupid posts? lol.. nice comeback

im not responding to yoru crap in this thread anymore

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

April 23, 2003 6:57:43 AM

That wasnt a comeback, I'm seriously asking you, to please not breed.

a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2003 9:58:24 PM

<A HREF="http://www.upgradeware.com" target="_new">http://www.upgradeware.com&lt;/A> it's an adapter that allows boards like ours to use Tualatin core processors, you could actually put a PIII 1400 on your board and overclock it to 1575MHz, making a very fast machine of it, with the right memory.

AGP4x is nice, but AGP2x works fine. In fact your board is faster than any i815/E/EP board, and those had AGP4x. And far faster than any other chipset PIII board, except the i840, which is a workstation/server chipset. You get a small performance loss from running a Radeon 9500 Pro in AGP2x mode, not enough to really matter much. Cards like the GeForce2 GTS and GeForce4 MX440 are slow enough that it makes no difference at all. But I'd still recommend the 9500 Pro, since it's nearly as fast in AGP2x as AGP4x mode.

a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2003 10:24:50 PM

To be honest, I have tried newer hardware and been disappointed by it's stability. I'm a real stability freak.

The slowest thing my computer does is video encoding, and it still does that faster than real time. I'd need a P4 1800 just to match it. But nothing faster than a P4 1.4 has floated down the freebie pipe. And anything that has more cash value than performance value gets sold!

April 23, 2003 10:39:06 PM

Stability?, whats that?

Life is a waterfall, you drink from the river then you turn around and put up your walls.....System of a Down
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2003 1:05:27 AM

The thing you gave up when you bought the VIA chipset for your AMD in order to prove Intel guys were stupid for paying more.

April 24, 2003 2:59:13 AM

Crashman : Thanks again. I'll check out that Upgradeware in a bit, sounds interesting. The Radeon 9500 is a little bit off my budget though, I'm only picking up anything that can go faster than my 'force2mx, since I'll be buying a new computer in a few more months. (Sorry, should have mentioned that.) Anywho, I'm glad to hear that my mobo isn't as crappy as I think it is. :D  (Was planning on giving it away. :o  )
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2003 7:59:17 AM

I'll pay shipping if you send the board here, it's actually a top notch board, don't know why you would think it's crappy.

!