Barbed Wire Project - Malkavian Deck

Last response: in Video Games
June 26, 2005 12:04:32 AM

Hey Folks,

Here is a cheap S&B deck made mostly out of Jyhad commons and vamps.

Cheers,
Preston

Crypt
Lucian 10 Cap Justicar OBF AUS DOM tha cel May steal a weapon as a
strike
Gilbert Duane 7 Cap Prince OBF AUS DOM
Mariel Lady Thunder 7 Cep OBF DOM aus tha May end combat she is not
involved in
2xOzmo 6 Cap AUS obf dom +1 Bleed
Zebulon 5 Cap OBF aus dom pro
2xDidi Meyers 5 Cap DOM obf cel aus
Roland Bishop 4 Cap aus dom obf
Aleph 4 Cap AUS dom
Dollface 3 Cap obf aus
Normal 2 Cap obf

Library 10
Police Department
The Barrens
4xDominate
4xObfuscate

Actions 11
Arson
5xComputer Hacking
5xGovern the Unaligned

Action Modifier 20
4xBonding
6x(A mix of Conditioning and Threats)
9x(A mix of Cloak the Gathering, Faceless Night, and Lost in the
Crowds)

Combat 10
4xDodge
4xDisguised Weapon
2xRead Intentions

Reaction 4
Deflection x2
Telepathic Counter x2

Equipment 5
Lear Jet
2xBlow Torch
2x.44 Magnum
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:29:55 AM

>From Derek Ray:
"Not at all. The Disguised .44s, for example, are an excellent
addition
to most OBF-based stealth/bleed decks, as it increases the threshhold
of
combat people require in order to off your minions -- they need ranged
combat or a consistent maneuver, for example. Seems small, but can
matter a lot. And if someone with 1 blood carelessly tries to block
you, you always have the option of allowing yourself to be blocked and
popping his minion as a surprise.
The Disguised Blow Torches, however, are just awful. They put your
minions in combat at close range, where they're guaranteed to be
punched
for at least 1. They encourage the player to LET their minions get
into
combat, even worse in a deckstyle that runs best when it's being
non-interactive. When a stealth/bleed deck trades torporized minions
with other decks, it is often losing the trade unless it can follow up
with something like Grave Robbing. (at least makes the Torch bearable,

but I can understand if you don't want to hand out Grave Robbings
willy-nilly.) "

Anyway, using Blow Torches in this deck. Discuss it amongst yourselves.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:13:41 AM

Ok, I wanted to take a crack at this as well. Malk dom/obf, using
'mostly commons', jyhad set only in this case.

For one, if you're allowing uncommons (and you should, because they
really elevate this deck), there's one uncommon that's good, some may
say essential, to this deck: Spying Mission (as previously pointed
out).

Given most of the restriction and not wanting a 90 card deck (right?)
this is what I feel would be close to the common malk jyhad era SB
template that's nice to hand to a beginner). Tune to your metagame or
play style, of course. (I personally would probably add 2 GtU from
somewhere.)

Other decks that are non dom/obf will have a hard time competing with
this deck, given the restrictions used.

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 20, Max: 36, Avg: 7)
1 Roland Bishop aus dom obf 4 Malkavian
1 Zebulon aus dom pro OBF 5 Malkavian
1 Didi Meyers aus cel obf DOM 5 Malkavian
1 Ozmo dom obf AUS 6 Malkavian
2 Mariel aus tha DOM OBF 7 Malkavian
2 Gilbert Duane AUS DOM OBF 7 Malkavian
1 Justine obf AUS DOM THA 8 Tremere
1 Roxanne pot AUS DOM FOR OBF 9 Malkavian
1 Marty Lechtansi ani for DOM OBF POT 9 Nosferatu
1 Lucian cel tha AUS DOM OBF 10 Malkavian

Library: (70 cards)
-------------------
Master (12 cards)
4 Blood Doll
1 Asylum Hunting Ground
1 Elysium: The Arboretum
1 Barrens, The
3 Sudden Reversal
2 Minion Tap

Action (8 cards)
8 Govern the Unaligned

Action Modifier (22 cards)
5 Spying Mission
4 Lost in Crowds
4 Faceless Night
4 Cloak the Gathering
5 Conditioning

Reaction (17 cards)
4 Obedience
3 Deflection
3 Telepathic Misdirection
7 Wake with Evening`s Freshness

Combat (5 cards)
5 Concealed Weapon

Ally (1 cards)
1 Muddled Vampire Hunter

Equipment (5 cards)
5 .44 Magnum
July 3, 2005 11:40:42 AM

James,

1. The Malkvians are more geared towards speed than pool gain.
Therefore, no pool gain. WTF????
2. The use of cards, such as bonding in superior, as rather day to the
deck. WTF????
3. Computer Hacking is a Jyhad common I can give out. I actually don't
have many Scouting Missions. WTF????
4. Telepathic Counter is not Telepathic Misdirection. 11 Vamps can play
it. WTF???
5. How many change of targets would you recommend?
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:44:51 AM

Also James,

9 Obf modifiers plus 4 Bondings = 13 Stealth cards out of 60 cards or
21%. You would recommend more?
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:08:09 PM

Tobias:

I like the Spying Missions. That may be the way to use the "responsible
bleeding" concept James is talking about. For my purposes, I'm not
going to put 7 wakes in a deck, and those are necessary to make the
Obedience work for the most part.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:48:23 PM

Here is a 2nd version of the deck with some Spying Missions.

Crypt
Lucian 10 Cap Justicar OBF AUS DOM tha cel May steal a weapon as a
strike
Gilbert Duane 7 Cap Prince OBF AUS DOM
Mariel Lady Thunder 7 Cep OBF DOM aus tha May end combat she is not
involved in
2xOzmo 6 Cap AUS obf dom +1 Bleed
Zebulon 5 Cap OBF aus dom pro
2xDidi Meyers 5 Cap DOM obf cel aus
Roland Bishop 4 Cap aus dom obf
Aleph 4 Cap AUS dom
Dollface 3 Cap obf aus
Normal 2 Cap obf

Library 10
Police Department
The Barrens
4xDominate
4xObfuscate

Note: One could always go with a crypt of larger minions similar to
Tobias and no skill cards, but that makes the deck a bit slower and
this deck was already criticized by James as being too slow. The skill
cards are necessary to make the Spying Mission work as a responsible
bleed card for the weenies and the Dominate cards are necessary to make
bonding a real stealth card.

Actions 11
Arson
5xComputer Hacking
5xGovern the Unaligned

Action Modifier 20
4xBonding
4x(A mix of Conditioning and Threats)
8x(A mix of Cloak the Gathering, Faceless Night, and Lost in the
Crowds)
4xSpying Mission

Combat 10
4xDodge
4xDisguised Weapon
2xRead Intentions

Reaction 4
Deflection x2
Telepathic Counter x2

Equipment 5
Lear Jet
4x(A Mix of Blow Torch and .44 Magnum)
Note: I have found that some combat decks just can't take a hit and
sending them to torpor with you can save your vamp as well as prevent
the taste of vitae they wanted to play. I like Blow Torch for that
reason. For those of you who don't like it, feel free to just go with
4x.44s
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:14:22 PM

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:59:55 PM

Good point on using the Disguised's... a previous crypt had some
non-obf vampires, and I forgot to change it over.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:04:01 PM

Preston - glad you like the spying missions. If you're not experienced
with them in obf-dom SB, and consider them 'the way to' use the
'responsible bleeding' 'concept James is talking about', I suggest you
need more experience with obf-dom as decktype, and you would do well to
accept deckbuilding advice.

You are not going to put 7 wakes in a deck. Why?

If you're getting rush heat, keeping a vampire untapped to be able to
obedience the worst threat is not such a bad plan.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:13:06 PM

I don't think my crypt is all that much larger than yours, but it is, a
bit.

However, you are missing a point to my heavier use of Govern. They are
initially used to accelerate vampire influencing. (which is also the
reason for my comment I might want more than 8)

The blow torches are amusing, but will be little more than that against
decent other decks.

Also, what gives with the learjet? It's a good card, but rather out of
style with the 'jyhad' background of the deck (as are the blowtorches,
of course).

Also " the Dominate cards are necessary to make
bonding a real stealth card. " - 5 vampires in your crypt could go from
dom to DOM, and would thus use 4 easily substituted library cards
better?

Not a good enough deck design decision, IMHO.

Take your deck to a tournament, and take mine. I'm sure results will
differ.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 5:46:49 PM

If the giveaway's the reason (and I ran across a thread were I found
that statement after I posted), I fully understand.

I think I've given away about 20-30 wakes over the time I've been
playing - but that's since day 1, so I understand the commitment that
takes.

(An aside: I'm the type of player that only keeps about 3-4 decks built
at a time, max. So commons that I have over the 4-deck limit generally
get given away easily).

Obedience is not the easiest card, true, but hey, SB is simple enough
otherwise (at first glance), one complex card's not so bad. I like the
enhanced senses as well.

In the past, when starting off new players, I just built some simple
decks like the one above, brought them to the play place, and let
people pick according to what they wanted. If I detected the spark of
someone hooked, I would give away the deck, mostly.

Nowadays, I just grab a demo set.

Another option, to keep out the 'I'll grab anything that's free'
mentality, offer to sell a deck of (mostly) commons like the previous
one at cost price (or a few rounds of beer). Should be easy enough to
get from the Lasombra, even. Dunno how that would compare to a precon
for price, btw.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:15:10 PM

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:33:13 AM

In message <1120401891.136627.262620@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Preston <prestonpoulter@hotmail.com> writes:
>Also James,

Preston,

If you wish to continue this exchange, learn to use your newsreader.

If you cannot be bothered to put in the entirely minimal effort to use
it properly, don't post. You are deliberately making threads hard to
follow. You are deliberately being too selfish to put in ANY effort to
actually post in a manner that will be helpful to other people.

When you stop being so selfish, I will respond to any points you wish me
to respond to. However, whilst you continue to decide that your
complete travesty of posting in a disorganised, unreadable fashion is
either appropriate, useful or helpful to ANY discussion, I will continue
to treat you as an ignorant fool.

Stamp stamp stamp. You know about Magic, so you must know about V:TES.

Stamp stamp stamp, you don't have to post in a readable fashion like the
rest of us do.

Your posts are simply noise. If you want other people to read them,
sort them out.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.