Collected Questions and Quibbles

Hi again. Could anyone answer these for me?

1) A vampire going into a second round of combat with Petaniqua suffers
2 damage before range is determined. Can this damage be prevented with,
say, a Skin of Rock?

2) Shouldn't a vampire with a Trophy:Discipline increase her capacity
by one?

3) My vampire is wounded and going to torpor, but still has blood on
her. She plays Undead Persistence and goes into another round of
combat. She takes more damage, but NOT aggravated damage. Does she have
to heal the damage (seeing as she's going to torpor anyway)?

4) I know I'm quibbling, but Adaptability (at inferior) says: "CHANGE
all aggravated damage to normal damage" not "TREAT all aggravated
damage as normal damage". Shouldn't it mean that a Rotschreck can't be
played?

5) I notice that Jackie Therman is now a man. In the old version she
was a redheaded woman. What happened?

Cheers.

Quetzalcoatl

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

bjornstein@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi again. Could anyone answer these for me?
>
> 1) A vampire going into a second round of combat with Petaniqua suffers
> 2 damage before range is determined. Can this damage be prevented with,
> say, a Skin of Rock?

I would say yes. Since it has no clause that says it is unpreventable
(see Drawing Out the Beast and Weather Control).

> 2) Shouldn't a vampire with a Trophy:Discipline increase her capacity
> by one?

No ... same as Infernal Pact.

> 3) My vampire is wounded and going to torpor, but still has blood on
> her. She plays Undead Persistence and goes into another round of
> combat. She takes more damage, but NOT aggravated damage. Does she have
> to heal the damage (seeing as she's going to torpor anyway)?

The vampire must still heal damage, just not going to torpor until
combat ends. The card itself states "(although he or she is still
considered wounded and can be burned as normal)".

> 4) I know I'm quibbling, but Adaptability (at inferior) says: "CHANGE
> all aggravated damage to normal damage" not "TREAT all aggravated
> damage as normal damage". Shouldn't it mean that a Rotschreck can't be
> played?

Wouldn't have an idea about this to be honest. I thought Change and
Treat were the same.

> 5) I notice that Jackie Therman is now a man. In the old version she
> was a redheaded woman. What happened?

-=shrug=-

On 27 Jun 2005 15:20:39 -0700, bjornstein@yahoo.com wrote:

>4) I know I'm quibbling, but Adaptability (at inferior) says: "CHANGE
>all aggravated damage to normal damage" not "TREAT all aggravated
>damage as normal damage". Shouldn't it mean that a Rotschreck can't be
>played?

No.

Rotschreck does not care how the victim vampire would handle the
damage.

Rotschreck cares about the attempt to inflict damage on the vampire
(at the appropriate range for the strike).

See also the FAQ, section 3.5.

http://www.thelasombra.com/vtes_faq.htm

3.5. Can Rötschreck still be played...
Can Rötschreck still be played at long range while the reacting minion
declares an aggravated hand strike?

No. Cannot be used if the "attempt to use aggravated damage" is not
applicable at the current range. The most common example is an
aggravated hand strike done at long range.

Can I play a Rotschrek if I am attempting to do 0 aggravated hand
damage?
No.

Minion A announced his Ivory Bow as a strike, and the opposing Minion
B played Blood Rage. Can Rötschreck be played on Minion B?
Yes.
Blood Rage does not resolve before the Strike Announcement phase,
which is when you play Rotschreck, so Rotschreck can still be played.

Can Rötschreck still be played if the opposing minion plays a Strike:
Combat Ends?
Yes.
Rötschreck cares about the attempt to inflict aggravated damage, not
whether or not the strike will successfully resolve.

Can Rötschreck still be played if the opposing minion is treating
aggravated damage as normal damage? What if they played a Skin of
Night, Armor of Terra, or Adaptability?
Yes.
Rötschreck cares about the attempt to inflict aggravated damage, not
whether or not the vampire receiving the damage can prevent it or
treat it as normal damage.

Can Rötschreck still be played if the opposing minion has a Flak
Jacket, Leather Jacket, or some other way to prevent the damage?
Yes.
Rötschreck cares about the attempt to inflict aggravated damage, and
the damage resolution stage is never reached.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.

bjornstein@yahoo.com wrote:
> 5) I notice that Jackie Therman is now a man. In the old
> version she was a redheaded woman. What happened?

It's not a man. It's Tracy Chapman, of "You've Got A Fast Car" fame.

But it's easy to see how you became confused. ;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:19:25 -0400, The Lasombra
<TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Minion A announced his Ivory Bow as a strike, and the opposing Minion
>B played Blood Rage. Can Rötschreck be played on Minion B?
>Yes.
>Blood Rage does not resolve before the Strike Announcement phase,
>which is when you play Rotschreck, so Rotschreck can still be played.

Just an aside, how does resolution of First Strike apply here? If I
Backstab with a weapon, does that resolve before Blood Rage effect's
apply?

Morgan Vening

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:21:17 +1000, Morgan Vening
<morgan@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>>Minion A announced his Ivory Bow as a strike, and the opposing Minion
>>B played Blood Rage. Can Rötschreck be played on Minion B?
>>Yes.
>>Blood Rage does not resolve before the Strike Announcement phase,
>>which is when you play Rotschreck, so Rotschreck can still be played.

>Just an aside, how does resolution of First Strike apply here?

It doesn't.
You play Rotschreck with strike announcement, so if one vampire has
first strike it does not affect the play of Rotschreck.

>If I Backstab with a weapon, does that resolve before Blood Rage effect's
>apply?

Yes.