Solved

Hey yalls! Need some info on an Alianware Area 51. :D

Hey all! In the process of getting an Alianware Area 51 M15x and would like to know how good of a gaming rig it is. I know its old and a laptop so its going to be less than a desktop but most of my knowlage is in Desktop rigs and not lappys. I have a desktop with basically the same specs and it plays all the games listed on maxx with a Dell 22in 1680x1050. (yeah its a low res but Im not a rich man. ;) (I know the lappy will not be as good as the destop cause its well, a laptop...) :ange:

Would like to play MW3 2 and 1 (would love to be on high...) :whistle:

Battlefield BC2

Dirt 2 and 3

Prostreet. (haha)

NFS WORLD

FSX and Wings of Prey

SO here are the specs,

AREA-51 M15X 15" WUXGA W/CAM SIL-RIP-PNT R1

CPEN,INTEL T9300 CPU,2500/800,6M,FCPGA6 SCREENED

ELPIDA 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 SO-DIMM 667MHZ Y9535

M15X PRIMARY 120WATT AC ADAPTER-ACCESS

M15X ODD SMARTBAY KIT-SILVER-PNT

M17X / M15X NVIDIA 9800M-GT2 512MB

SILVER BRACKET FOR MD2GTX, MD2GT2

SEAGATE 160GB 7200RPM FFS HDD REV3

8X DVD+/-RW NEC AD-7590A

INTEL PRO WIRELESS 4965 A/B/G DRAFT-N MINI-CARD

INTEL MOBILE INTEGRATED HIGH-DEFINITION AUDIO

Just hoping I could get lots of ppls ideas please. :) Thank you all in advance!

Like I said I know its not the laitest and greatest, but for $405 I dont think its to bad! :O Or is it??
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about yalls info alianware area
  1. Hello jctwibell;

$405 is probably a fair price for that level of performance in a used notebook.

There aren't many actual benchmarks for the old 9800M-GT2 but here is some guesswork:
    Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards (read the notes)
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/2243/ss005.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. Ahh I see.
    The "GT2" is that the same as the "GT"?

You say "old" like its not that great in reality? I mean I know it came out it 08 (long time ago in g-card world) But is it decent?

Also "that level of performance" do you mean (compared to todays standards) low level- mid? I know from the link you posted prostreet, MW1 (and perhaps 2) will play on high to max settings but Idk about the others... Your expert advice/thoughts? Thanks for your time!
  3. It's decent for $400. A 4yr old gaming laptop - you have to think it's on it's last legs if the seller was a moderately serious gamer.

You'd need to know the internal specs of the GT2 to know were it falls in the 9800 xxx lineup.
    It might be anything from a lightly OC'd GTS to a cut down GT.
    http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/8168/ss006x.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  4. Ok well seller "said" he never gamed that much. But I really have no idea how much... I only game a few hrs on the weekend anyways...

Well I have looked all over Nvidia, wiki and other places but have never seen a GT2, only the GS, GT, GTS, GTX. (for the notebook line) all the 9800ms have 51.2GBS. Just different clocks ect... A little less than the desktop line... but its in a notebook...

I dont think the GPU will be limited by the CPU (above) will it? Or would I need to upgrade that?

Also, what is the max ammout of RAM could I put in it? will 800mhz work?
  5. Sure; The seller is a little old lady who only played Sims2 on Sundays. ;)

4GB DDR2 667 RAM is plenty. I don't think a RAM upgrade would be worth the cost.

The CPU/GPU are a good match. And mostly, you don't want to sink any more money into a 4yr old laptop.
  6. Yeah I know right! ;) Ok, well, just for kicks what is the max ammout of ram? Will the mobo handle 800mhz?

Ok, good. yeah Ik. But its deff an upgrade from a Dell studio 15 1555. ;) Intel graphics! Rock on! ;)
  7. Quote:
    I really have no idea how much... I only game a few hrs on the weekend anyways... http://www.depin.info/g.gif

Really? So I take it you have a similer setup? If so what kinda performance are you getting?
  8. Anyone else have the same laptop specs and wish to share?
  9. bump?
  10. Best answer
    You might want to hang out in one of the Alienware forums.
    Chances of bumping in another owner around here are a lot less.
  11. It says the thread is closed... :/
  12. Go up one level in the that forum.
    Or run your own google search and find other owners?
  13. Thank you.
  14. Best answer selected by jctwibell.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Laptops