Barbed Wire Project: Motivations Revealed

Hey Derek,

I came to the same conclusion as you did about the day job. I have one
that pays my bills. But the world keeps telling me I need to follow my
passion instead of clock it in for the man day after day. I haven't
quite my day job or anything, but thanks for your concerns.

I look around and see what works and what doesn't. Here's what I've
found that does work:
1. Game Stores that are hybrid game store hybrid something else. There
used to be a chain of 5 stores or so in Houston, TX back when magic
took off. They were comic & card stores. Sports cards, comics and, as
the game developed, magic. They weren't there 5 years later though. I
can only assume the simultaneous slump in CCGs and comics did them in.

There is another store called The Bull Pen in Los Angeles. I'm pretty
good friends with the owner Mitch. He shared with me his sales figures.
He does 20% of his business in CCGs and the rest is sports card. He's a
sport's cards nut, so he can do that all day long. I'm not. Mitch told
me on no uncertain terms that a game store along is not going to work.
If I had any doubt, WotC seemed to prove that conclusively with their
purchase of Game Keeper in California.

2. Web sites that are collections of strategy. These have mixed
success. A lot of them will be an archive of strategy and deck lists
and sell advertising. The biggest was www.thedojo.com for MtG. I
believe they eventually closed up, but I haven't checked in a while.
The Lasombra's taken his sire resource and is going into the singles
market. That may work too.

3. Large event organizers. I was good friends with Scott Larabee back
in the hey day of MtG. Hell of a nice guy, He ran a MtG tournament
every Saturday in Costa Mesa California that easily got 100 people
playing multiple tournaments that day. He was so successful that WotC
employed him as ancillary events coordinator. After he left to go to
Seattle, the game store he ran folded up due to mismanagement even
though the tournament still runs to this day.

So, those are three things that work so far- web site resources, event
organization for popular CCGs, and hybrid game stores. So, in the back
of my mind, I keep trying to figure out how to put together a working
model of these things.

For the record I have given away a total of 7 BWP decks so far for a
total of 500 cards. I will probably give away that many each couple of
months over the next few months. The goal is to build a player base
here in Dallas. Maybe it won't work. Maybe people who are MtG or YugiOh
(or LARP) players just won't make the switch, but I'm having decent
success so far. I am actually going to try a BWP tournament at the
upcoming AnimeFest in Dallas. There is not VTES action there at all but
there is some MtG tournies, etc. I'm out to see if an advertised event
where you gave away the decks, taught the players how to play, and had
a tournament with all the new players if it would perhaps make someone
into an occasional VTES player who might come to our VTES games in
Dallas. If this works, then I can perhaps start to more aggressively
pursue the event coordinator route.

We'll have to see. Again, I have no idea where this thing might go. I'm
just out to find out and make note of the results. See if there's
something there that can be modeled and keep going. Hey, even if all I
do is transform a hobby into a profitable hobby I'll be more than
happy. Furthermore, since I'm doing this all in the public forum,
anyone else is free to try to replicate this if they want so we don't
have to collectively reinvent the wheel all the time.

As for you and your advice. Well, frankly Derek, you really didn't seem
to give me much that was relevant: you called me a lot of names; you
told me players would be better off without me; but I really never got
a whole lot of concrete, usable advice from you. And, hey, that's all
fine. I just still don't exactly know what it is you want from me.

Cheers,
Preston

I have the hardest time making you happy.

Preston wrote:
> I have the hardest time making you happy.
>
> James Coupe wrote:
>
>>In message <1120511633.772000.157800@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>Preston <prestonpoulter@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>Here is a repost with the relevant text cites.
>>
>>Top-posting is also unhelpful.

A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation.

Q: Why is top posting bad?

--Colin McGuigan

In message <1120514446.755573.46390@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Preston <prestonpoulter@hotmail.com> writes:
>I have the hardest time making you happy.

Spending two minutes reading a Usenet FAQ would prevent you making
trivial errors.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.

Preston meet Ector.
Ector ...Preston.

Now the international commons pipeline is complete.

Now my plan for worldwide domination is complete.

Mwhahahah

--
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr

XZealot wrote:
> Preston meet Ector.
> Ector ...Preston.
>
> Now the international commons pipeline is complete.
>
> Now my plan for worldwide domination is complete.
>
> Mwhahahah
>

> --
> Comments Welcome,
> Norman S. Brown, Jr
> XZealot
> Archon of the Swamp

Hi XZealot,

I will gladly laugh with you if you explain me: what makes you laugh?
"Your plan of woldwide domination"? Man, you act like an Escaped Mental
Patient! :)

Yours,
Ector

Quetzalcoatl

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

<sarcasm>
I'm just rubbing my hands together waiting for my cut of the profits
since the !Ventrue deck was mine.
</sarcasm>

Sorry, didn't use that one.

"Ector" <Ector@mail.ru> wrote in message

> XZealot wrote:
>> Preston meet Ector.
>> Ector ...Preston.
>>
>> Now the international commons pipeline is complete.
>>
>> Now my plan for worldwide domination is complete.
>>
>> Mwhahahah
>>

>> --
>> Comments Welcome,
>> Norman S. Brown, Jr
>> XZealot
>> Archon of the Swamp
>
> Hi XZealot,
>
> I will gladly laugh with you if you explain me: what makes you laugh?

I thought it was funny that on one hand you, in another thread, were saying
how it was hard to buy commons and on the other hand that Preston was
selling decks that were almost entirely made out of commons.

> "Your plan of woldwide domination"? Man, you act like an Escaped Mental
> Patient! :)

It all starts with a very big fish....
--
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr

Quetzalcoatl

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Preston wrote:
> Sorry, didn't use that one.

Even if you did I wouldn't mind :) That was the whole <sarcasm> thing
:) Maybe should have said <jokingly> or something :)

XZealot wrote:
> "Ector" <Ector@mail.ru> wrote in message

> > I will gladly laugh with you if you explain me: what makes you laugh?
>
> I thought it was funny that on one hand you, in another thread, were saying
> how it was hard to buy commons and on the other hand that Preston was
> selling decks that were almost entirely made out of commons.

It's hard to get CERTAIN commons, not just random commons.

Yours,
Ector

> XZealot wrote:
>> "Ector" <Ector@mail.ru> wrote in message
>
>> > I will gladly laugh with you if you explain me: what makes you laugh?
>>
>> I thought it was funny that on one hand you, in another thread, were
>> saying
>> how it was hard to buy commons and on the other hand that Preston was
>> selling decks that were almost entirely made out of commons.
>>
> It's hard to get CERTAIN commons, not just random commons.

Well, Preston certainly has listed the commons available in his decks. So
you know for CERTAIN which CERTAIN commons you are CERTAINLY getting and now
you can stop being unCERTAIN about it.

It was CERTAINLY funny to me.
--
Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr

XZealot wrote:
> "Ector" <Ector@mail.ru> wrote in message
> >

> > XZealot wrote:
> >> "Ector" <Ector@mail.ru> wrote in message

> >> I thought it was funny that on one hand you, in another thread, were
> >> saying
> >> how it was hard to buy commons and on the other hand that Preston was
> >> selling decks that were almost entirely made out of commons.
> >>
> > It's hard to get CERTAIN commons, not just random commons.
>
> Well, Preston certainly has listed the commons available in his decks. So
> you know for CERTAIN which CERTAIN commons you are CERTAINLY getting and now
> you can stop being unCERTAIN about it.
>
> It was CERTAINLY funny to me.
> --
> Comments Welcome,
> Norman S. Brown, Jr
> XZealot
> Archon of the Swamp

You can just assume that I don't need these CERTAIN commons.
Bwa-ha-ha-ha?...

Yours,
Ector

Ector wrote:
> XZealot wrote:
> > "Ector" <Ector@mail.ru> wrote in message

> > > It's hard to get CERTAIN commons, not just random commons.
> >
> > Well, Preston certainly has listed the commons available in his decks. So
> > you know for CERTAIN which CERTAIN commons you are CERTAINLY getting and now
> > you can stop being unCERTAIN about it.
> >
> > It was CERTAINLY funny to me.
> > --
> > Comments Welcome,
> > Norman S. Brown, Jr
> > XZealot
> > Archon of the Swamp
>
> You can just assume that I don't need these CERTAIN commons.
> Bwa-ha-ha-ha?...

No assumption is CERTAIN. In fact, the only thing CERTAIN when you
assume is that it is CERTAIN to make an ass out of you and me
(ass-u-me). :)