How does 9500 pro performe after being modded?

Zarlaan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
I'm thinking of getting the Raedon 9500 PRO before its completly off the market and replaced witht he 9600. I haven't really read into detail about modding the 9500 PRO but from what i gathered the 9500 PRO is basically just a tuned down 9700 pro and by doing the mod it unlocks the card. Is this true and does anybody have any bechnmarks or anything showing the performance between the two after the mod is done?

cleeve

Illustrious
The 9500 PRO cannot be modded to a 9700.

Some 9500 NON-PROs can, but there is a large chance of failure.

If you're looking to buy something though, get a 9500 PRO. They're an excellent card, and if you overclock it you can get very close to 9700 PRO speeds out of it.

- Cleeve

If you don't even know which class of card can be moded, let alone which of Those WERE the one's, then don't bother. You'll probably fry the board and then come here asking why it didn't work.
If you're still willing to risk your hard earned money, then there are the occasional deals on Ebay, and a few people in here willing to sell you one.

Actually ask Gen.Weapon, Willamette, Twitch and Phial; they live for repeat questions like this. Sorry for being so abrupt, these guys will probably be much more patient with ya'. Good Luck! :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

selfbuilt

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I think the point is more that if you haven't researched the matter sufficiently to use the terminology correctly, you are probably not at the stage of comprehension to attempt any sort of modification yourself (including unlocking a BIOS).

In other words, the way you ask the question shows if you are likely to fully appreciate the answer. It's kind of like how my kids still ask about how to "download" a file to a floppy disk from their HD (argh - damn this internet age! ;-)

In this case, I would recommend just going with the 9500 Pro and not worry about it ... you can always play with overclocking it later as you learn more about the matter.

Where does good judgement come from? Experience. Where does experience come from? Bad judgement.

No, I'm saying if you don't know the basics, don't try something that could fry your card, or at the very least force you to own a crummy card. Especially if you never even bothered to check for the very minimal amount of information here or in Google and don't even know where to start, which is NOT a secret.

BTW, how do I overclock a video card? What's the Difference between Agp and PCI; 2X, 4X & 8X AGP? What's the difference between MSI, Sapphire, Powercolor, Hercules, Visiontek, Asus, HIS, Gigabyte, OEM and Retail? I just got a GeforceFX5800 Ultra, why's it so loud? Do I need to upgrade my Radeon 9800pro to a 9800pro-256? What's a 3Dmark, and how can I tell if mine are good? Add your favorite..

The point is, do you walk into a Garage and ask; I want to put Nitrous in my car; where do I attach it to my Gas tank through the trunk? Do I just put N2O hose straight in the fill-cap? I've already drilled a hole in the gastank...

Do SOME research first, especially when there is SO much availible right here, and at google (everyone knows of google, don't they?) and especially when you are talking about tinkering with a $200 card.
Anywhoo, all this simply relates to the fact that this forum needs a sticky FAQ that starts with; "Check to see if someone asked the same question as you within the last day or two."

What this forum ends up being similar to is the patsy of the kid in school who thinks you'll give them the answer to the quiz simply because they didn't do their work. At least make an effort.

Zeal without Knowledge is an accident waiting to happen. - adapted from Thomas Fuller

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
The point is, do you walk into a Garage and ask; I want to put Nitrous in my car; where do I attach it to my Gas tank through the trunk? Do I just put N2O hose straight in the fill-cap? I've already drilled a hole in the gastank...

now thats funny!

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Actually ask Gen.Weapon, Willamette, Twitch and Phial; they live for repeat questions like this. Sorry for being so abrupt, these guys will probably be much more patient with ya'. Good Luck!

pfffft! im insulted! *gets out leather glove and bitch slaps GreatCanadianApe*

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

<b>Sevendust is my new pet troll ahah</b>
"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

What !?! You mean you don't? :redface:

Sarcasm? Oh, we don't get much of that around these parts... - Adapted from Steve Martin in Roxanne.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
What the [-peep-],...this [-peep-] question is a [-peep-] no brainer..[-peep-] [-peep-]. People see mods on the [-peep-] web and read only [-peep-] half the [-peep-] story...GO HANG OUT AT RAGE3D WITH THE REST OF THE DUTCH...let those [-peep-] assholes answer your [-peep-] questions...adapted from GeneticWeapon on THG..

Man who sleeps with sex on mind, wakes with solution in hand.

Simple just solder an old Voodoo card on one side and a NeoMagic chip on the Other, and don't forget the 9v battery!

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
You're right...I just LOOOVE repeat questions. :smile:

Trolls too!

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Can I buy five Radeon 9000s, mod the interconnects to PCI, and hook them up in x5 SLI? I'm sure it must be possible. And by the way, if I use liquid nitrogen cooling, I should be able to overclock those 9000s to 1000/2000, right? And liquid nitrogen is pretty easy to install--at least, that's what my friends have told me.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

1000/2000 what did you get a poor sample, I would say that's almost not pushing it, Gotta be able to get 5/10+ghz, lets throw of some REAL radiation!

Certainly it's easy to handle, it's not like it's liquid Helium or something really difficult (they have some at the lab at the Univ. here)

Mmmm, Frozen Banana; how very, how you say... crystally!

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
To answer your question,

The 9500 Pro cannot be modded to the 9700, as it does not have all the pipelines. The 9500 Pro can however REALLY overclock, you can have a very fast card with a modded 9500p.

The 9600's look good though, very overclockable.

And you should try new things. If no one tried new things, we wouldnt be on this board right now.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
If I didnt try new things, I wouldnt have seven dead video cards on the floor under my desk...

My score....<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6258104</A>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Yeah, and I wouldn't have seven dead bodies under....err...never mind.