cant change resolution to 1024 * 768

game_over

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
i have a problem regarding my graphics card. i cant view 1024*768 resolution.

i have a samsung syncmaster 3 monitor (50/60hz). i cant find winxp drivers but i have acqquired older drivers.

My mohterboard is GA-7VA. i have 512mb ddr (kingston).

My graphics card is: (nvdia geforce mx 440 128mb ddr made by chaintech). i cant change the refresh rate on this card to optimal instead of default. im using windows xp. there used to be a feature on win 98 where i could change the adapter refresh rate from default to optimal...so if there is such a tool or something else i can do please tell me.

(incase anyone asks...my old ainient graphics card under win 98 used to work fine on 1024 * 768, all i had to do was use the correct driver for the monitor, and change the adapter refresh rate to optimal instead of default).

thanx in advance.

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Try un-installing the drivers for your graphics card and then re-installing them. Use a fairly new driver-revision.
Also install more recent drivers for your monitor.
Some drivers can be found <A HREF="http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/support/Download/driver/index.htm" target="_new">here</A>, although I didn´t find your monitor there. Have a look.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yes sounds like a driver problem ..

are you stuck at 640x480? ouch hope your not

i too suddgest to mess with your drivers. write down what video card you have and try to download XP compliant drivers because 95% of the time windows98 drivers dont work in XP

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

My friends Gaming Review Site. Check it out.
"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down

game_over

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
Firstly thanx for the response. ive tried looking for samsung syncmaster 3 drivers at several different sites, but i aint found any for xp. im already using the latest nvdia drivers. ive uninstalled and reinstalled loadsa times already with the latest ones etc...all i know is that my monitor can display 1024*768 with m old aincient card on win 98 and that was done by changing the adapter refresh rate which cant be done via xp...so if theres a tool u know of i can use this for, it would be appreciated...

game_over

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
Thanx :) Ive tried various drivers new and old as previously mentioned. My actual graphics card is: Chaintech A-G446 with Nvdia geforce mx440 128mb ddr/tv-out. its on their website www.chaintech.com.tw but alas nothing i haven already tried. im still waiting for their response.

Luckily i aint stuck in 640*480, only 800*600 which is some consolation!!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You should be able to install the Windows 95 .inf for your monitor. It's not really a driver but it installs like a driver. Just change monitor in Display Properties, select Have Disk, and point it to the .inf file.

If you don't have a disk then the previous post had a link where you can get the .inf file.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

game_over

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
thanx, ive already got the old driver for this $hit monitor installed! :( it allows me to go upto 1024 but the screen is garbled as the graphics card isnt allowing it to go that high.or something :(

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Try a few of the drivers from the link Phuckface posted. Also try different Detonator version.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

game_over

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
checked it out, my monitors not there unfortunatly, already got a old inf file for 98 which does work, it shows 1024 but the display flickers & is garbled so i have to use 800*600. its so infuriating!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like you have a refresh rate set higher than your monitor can do at 1024x768 resolution.

Now how to change this?

You could try downloading program called Powerstrip. Do a search. It's readily available. It's very good at detecting monitors' true capabiliies.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I dont think your graphics card is the limiting factor here. My nVidia Riva TNT2 32MB AGP Graphics card can go up to really high resolutions that require 21" monitors.

How do I know. Well I plugged in my sisters monitor (15" Proline) and because there was no driver disk I had to rely on the standard plug and play monitor drivers in Windows. This limited me to 1024 x 768. Yet when I plugged in a really old CTX 15" monitor it registered that CTX monitor correctly and I could get resolutions up to 1280 x 1024.

My point being because your using an old monitor driver that is the limiting factor. Updating the graphics card drivers will help your graphics card no end but dont use an old driver for your monitor.

First go to the Display properties and click the settings tab. Click the Advanced tab and then click the monitor tab. Click the change button and then search for your monitor in the avalible list.

If that doesnt help then go to the manufacturer's website. With regard to your query about there being a default and optimal and default option. I am not really an XP user but I noticed this when I was in a shop and changing the refresh rates. This looks like a hit and miss affair. Remember if no picture shows up leave the keyboard and mouse for 15 secs and the monitor should revert to the original setting.

Lemme know how you did.

Just cos I am a semi skinhead it does not mean that I am a semi PC Guru. I am 25% PC Guru, 15% Thug and 10% Alcoholic!!!