Looking for beta testers for DM Secretary 1.0, a "swiss-army knife"
program for D&D 3.5 DMs.

We at Occult Entertainment use it in our campaigns, but we would also
like outside opinions as well.

We are a relatively small entity, and the program is - AND WILL ALWAYS
BE - freeware.

We do not have a web site to host the program on yet, so for now just
send a quick email with DM Secretary in the Subject line and we will
send you the current version of the program. (No Adware, Spyware, or
Viruses included)

A web site will be going up soon, but until then, simply email for a
copy.

Occult.Entertainment@hotmail.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

The installation file is about 7 MB, but the program installed is about
20.

The link to the program is:

http://www.painted-black.org/oe/

I downloaded it and used it for about 5 minutes. Obviously that may not
be sufficient time for a fair evaluation but I couldn't get past the
incredibly jam-packed interface full of 9 million buttons and fields.
When I am DM'ing I need to see different tables or functions quickly
and easily. There are literally 86 buttons and 33 text fields on the
main window, and they all just link to images of scanned tables from
the Players Handbook. I applaud your effort and programming skills but
the UI is beyond unusable for me. Maybe its just me but its FAR too
complicated for real use.

The 'Main' tab has the 86 buttons and 33 text fields, the vast majority
of which simply link to scanned images of tables and pieces of the
Players Handbook. The 'Experience and Level Dependent Benefits' copy
the experience points chart. I'm not sure if you thought this was going
to be a D20 legal application but I'm pretty sure you can't include the
XP stuff if you did. When you type in the text boxes 'Notes', 'Game
Last Left Off...', and 'NPC's Have Met' the font is so small its nearly
impossible to read. Further, I couldn't see any way to save the text in
those boxes, which seems to make them next to useless. I'm not sure the
purpose of them.

The 'Tools' tab has a town generator on it, which is like any other
town generator (search on google, there are a million) but with far
fewer options. The 'Tools' tab also has something called a 'Battle Box'
but its fields are so small I can't actually read the text indicating
what the fields are for. Its sort of like an Excel spreadsheet I and a
friend developed... except again with less options. Ours automatically
rolls intiative, applies modifiers, sorts the list, and keeps track of
ongoing effects with each round. The Battle Box in DM Secretary is like
that, except not including everything I just mentioned.

The 'Useful Documents' tab is pretty much a waste of space. Just email
me those files and don't waste UI on them.

I'm sure that sounds pretty negative. I don't mean it to, I applaud
your efforts and would really love to see a truly useful DM tool, I
just have not seen a really good one yet.

p.s. Anyone interested in seeing the spreadsheet we use in our
campaigns just email me and let me know.

We're sorry you feel like that. Do you have any suggestions to make it
better besides those you listed?

We are currently doing a major overhaul of the GUI and functions in
response to user feedback - so much, in fact, that it will be version
2.0.

Hopefully, this version will be more to your liking.

I really apologize if I came across strongly in my previous post. I
don't mean to, its just that there are already a lot of tools out there
that strive to do what you are doing, and in my opinion they all always
have the same problems, that they are so chaotic and muddled that they
are impossible to use in a real game where I need to look down quickly
and find what I need fast. If I have to stop my game while I pore over
200 buttons to find the one I want, its just not going to work. Things
need to be easy to see and find *quickly*.

Ok, just some thoughts, take them for whatever they are worth:

1) Less buttons per tab, but more tabs. More white space around them,
and block them off with surrounding color coded borders or something.
Maybe include icons on some of the buttons to make them easier to guess
what they do quickly, like on the Light Sources button include an icon
of a torch or lantern or something.

2) Don't link to scanned images. Link to text from the SRD instead so
if someone wants to copy and paste from it into something else they
can.

I see now that there is no 'save' button for the 'Notes', 'Game last
left off...', and 'NPCs have met' boxes because they appear to save
automatically. Thats good I suppose but its not obvious that its going
to work like that.

"Character Information" Tab
Enter in all relevent stats and information about PC's. This includes
roleplaying notes like "Grool loves tall women" so you can refer to
that in game if necessary. This tab could have links to the various PC
related stuff like Classes, Prestige Classes, Equipment, etc. Include
an "Export" button so someone could export all info to a comma
delimited file or something. Maybe an rtf formatted report even.

"Encounters" Tab
This tab would have actual encounter information, a random encounter
roller, a battle tracker that rolls initiative for all characters and
monsters and keeps track of conditions and their durations. Each time
you increment the round counter button it decrements any conditions by
1. For example, Grool has been stunned for 4 rounds. You hit the "Next
Round" button, and Grools Stun condition updates to show only 3 rounds
remaining.

"Generators" Tab
This tab would have a town generator, an NPC (or just a name)
generator, and a Treasure generator. Increase the number of
options/variables in the Town generator. Maybe have the generator
generate a leader (name + basic personality) and some other prominent
NPCs. Or even have it generate a tavern (and name), plus an Inn (and
name), plus a few other major businesses. Random rumors about town
might be nice too. It would be nice if you could hit a button and then
export all generated info to a txt file or something.

"Time" Tab
Have a Calendar type function with an actual calendar in it where you
can enter in events like "Encounter with wolves in evening" or "New
Suns Day Holiday". Maybe even have weather pre-generated a month in
advance on the calendar so you can just look down, see tomorrow is
going to be sunny and warm, but the evening is going to have scattered
showers, or even look a week ahead and know that when they are
entertaining the duke there will be a terrible storm. You could click
in each day to add an encounter or special event. You push a button to
advance the day or something. May be pretty complicated but would
definitely be neat.

Just some ideas.

John