Dimension 4100

My Dell Dimension with WinXP Home edition has had the registry corrupted during
an attempt by my son to install a game. It will not boot in any of the regular
or safe-mode options, and it would not complete a recover to most recent
restore point. As a next step I loaded from my Dell supplied restore CD, and
chose the "R" option to restore, but within a couple steps it asks for an
Administrator password. I've had this system for over two years and cannot
recall ever establishing an admin pasword, and I know I've never used one for
any reason since. Is there a default Admin password established by Dell on
pre-installed WinXP Home edition systems.

Is there an alternate option I might explore from the command prompt?

Thanks for any help,

On 19 Dec 2004 13:32:41 GMT, jcmcdonald@aol.comnot (Jcmcdonald) wrote:

>My Dell Dimension with WinXP Home edition has had the registry corrupted during
>an attempt by my son to install a game. It will not boot in any of the regular
>or safe-mode options, and it would not complete a recover to most recent
>restore point. As a next step I loaded from my Dell supplied restore CD, and
>chose the "R" option to restore, but within a couple steps it asks for an
>Administrator password. I've had this system for over two years and cannot
>recall ever establishing an admin pasword, and I know I've never used one for
>any reason since. Is there a default Admin password established by Dell on
>pre-installed WinXP Home edition systems.
>
>Is there an alternate option I might explore from the command prompt?
>
>Thanks for any help,
Try just hitting 'return'. Sometimes that works.

Steve

You do not want to chose "R". Follow the instructions here:

"Jcmcdonald" <jcmcdonald@aol.comnot> wrote in message
> My Dell Dimension with WinXP Home edition has had the registry corrupted
> during
> an attempt by my son to install a game. It will not boot in any of the
> regular
> or safe-mode options, and it would not complete a recover to most recent
> restore point. As a next step I loaded from my Dell supplied restore CD,
> and
> chose the "R" option to restore, but within a couple steps it asks for an
> Administrator password. I've had this system for over two years and
> cannot
> recall ever establishing an admin pasword, and I know I've never used one
> for
> any reason since. Is there a default Admin password established by Dell
> on
> pre-installed WinXP Home edition systems.
>
> Is there an alternate option I might explore from the command prompt?
>
> Thanks for any help,

Thanks, I probably should have mentioned, "Return" did not work, and about a
half dozen guesses also failed.