Dimension 4100

My Dell Dimension with WinXP Home edition has had the registry corrupted during
an attempt by my son to install a game. It will not boot in any of the regular
or safe-mode options, and it would not complete a recover to most recent
restore point. As a next step I loaded from my Dell supplied restore CD, and
chose the "R" option to restore, but within a couple steps it asks for an
Administrator password. I've had this system for over two years and cannot
recall ever establishing an admin pasword, and I know I've never used one for
any reason since. Is there a default Admin password established by Dell on
pre-installed WinXP Home edition systems.

Is there an alternate option I might explore from the command prompt?

Thanks for any help,
More about dimension 4100

    On 19 Dec 2004 13:32:41 GMT, jcmcdonald@aol.comnot (Jcmcdonald) wrote:

    >My Dell Dimension with WinXP Home edition has had the registry corrupted during
    >an attempt by my son to install a game. It will not boot in any of the regular
    >or safe-mode options, and it would not complete a recover to most recent
    >restore point. As a next step I loaded from my Dell supplied restore CD, and
    >chose the "R" option to restore, but within a couple steps it asks for an
    >Administrator password. I've had this system for over two years and cannot
    >recall ever establishing an admin pasword, and I know I've never used one for
    >any reason since. Is there a default Admin password established by Dell on
    >pre-installed WinXP Home edition systems.
    >
    >Is there an alternate option I might explore from the command prompt?
    >
    >Thanks for any help,
    Try just hitting 'return'. Sometimes that works.

    Steve

    You do not want to chose "R". Follow the instructions here:

    "Jcmcdonald" <jcmcdonald@aol.comnot> wrote in message
    > My Dell Dimension with WinXP Home edition has had the registry corrupted
    > during
    > an attempt by my son to install a game. It will not boot in any of the
    > regular
    > or safe-mode options, and it would not complete a recover to most recent
    > restore point. As a next step I loaded from my Dell supplied restore CD,
    > and
    > chose the "R" option to restore, but within a couple steps it asks for an
    > Administrator password. I've had this system for over two years and
    > cannot
    > recall ever establishing an admin pasword, and I know I've never used one
    > for
    > any reason since. Is there a default Admin password established by Dell
    > on
    > pre-installed WinXP Home edition systems.
    >
    > Is there an alternate option I might explore from the command prompt?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    Thanks, I probably should have mentioned, "Return" did not work, and about a
    half dozen guesses also failed.

Dell Dimension Computers