Can I change 32bit to 64bit?

shoroq68

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello,
Hello,
i live in amman jordan when i bought windows 7 here i got windows 7 32 bit but i wanted 64 bit i went back and they told me that is all they have plus i have already instaled it. is there a way i can change to 64 bit using the same prouduct key of the 32 bit

ulysses35

Distinguished
The vendor is corrttc - the DVD actually contains both versions (32 & 64 bit), however the licence key you have activates only the 32 bit version.

The only option is to contact MS directly - though I wouldnt be so sure they would help you out..... but its worth a go

shoroq68

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello,
i live in amman jordan when i bought windows 7 here i got windows 7 32 bit but i wanted 64 bit i went back and they told me that is all they have plus i have already instaled it. is there a way i can change to 64 bit using the same prouduct key of the 32 bit

4745454b

Titan
Did you get OEM or retail? If you bought a retail copy it should have come with both disks. If you bought OEM, then it would have only came with one disk, and you need to make sure before you buy it that its the one you want to run.

If you bought a retail edition, go back to the store and demand the 64bit disk. If they don't/can't, contact MS and see if they can help. If you bought an OEM edition there isn't anything you can do other then find someone selling the 64bit copy and buy that.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The fact that you only have the 32 bit disk indicates that it's an OEM disk.
There does not appear to be a difinitive answer as to whether the same key can be used for 32 and 64 bit OEM versions.
You won't get a response from Microsoft other then to tell you that the systems builder is responsible for sorting out any issues, which in your case is you. So it's back onto your shoulders.
I believe that the same key will work, as I can't see any reason it should differ from the way the retail one works. However that's only my opinion, with nothing else to back it up. (I am not refering to OEM builders like Dell, HP etc. only the home users)
If it does work then all you would need is to find someone there that has the SAME OEM version but in 64 bit that can make you a copy to use with your own product key.
However before you start, make a backup of your data files and use a Windows 7 compatible image program to create an image of your hard drive to an external source, either a usb drive or dvd's.
That way you have a way to restore your activated W7, if things go wrong.