Elder Library Deck Builder database update

Last response: in Video Games
July 9, 2005 6:10:06 AM

There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
notice this speaks highly of his utility.

The database file uploaded to the appropriate group on July 9th, 2005
resolves this issue.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:38:04 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:10:06 -0400, The Lasombra
<TheLasombra@hotmail.com> scrawled:

>There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
>based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
>add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
>notice this speaks highly of his utility.

or eldb's now that there are other options.....

>The database file uploaded to the appropriate group on July 9th, 2005
>resolves this issue.

thanks!

i doubt any volunteer does more for this game than you, Lasombra.
we appreciate it! (well, at least, I do!)

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:38:05 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:38:04 +1000, salem
<salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
>>based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
>>add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
>>notice this speaks highly of his utility.
>>The database file uploaded to the appropriate group on July 9th, 2005
>>resolves this issue.

>or eldb's now that there are other options.....

There are 1468 members of the ELDB update group.
There were less than 1100 when KMW was released. It is still
extremely popular.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:07:22 PM

Howdy Jeff,

> There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
> based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
> add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
> notice this speaks highly of his utility.

This reminds me: Dylan (ADV) is missing the '(ADV)' in his name, which
causes problems with some of the sorting and database functions, as he
has the same name as the base Dylan.

Alex
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 9:29:50 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:14:47 -0400, The Lasombra
<TheLasombra@hotmail.com> scrawled:

>On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:38:04 +1000, salem
><salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
>>>based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
>>>add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
>>>notice this speaks highly of his utility.
>>>The database file uploaded to the appropriate group on July 9th, 2005
>>>resolves this issue.
>
>>or eldb's now that there are other options.....
>
>There are 1468 members of the ELDB update group.
>There were less than 1100 when KMW was released. It is still
>extremely popular.

wow. consider me slapped down, then. :)

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:20:49 AM

On 10 Jul 2005 17:07:22 -0700, "wumpus" <wumpus7@comcast.net> wrote:

>Howdy Jeff,
>
>> There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
>> based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
>> add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
>> notice this speaks highly of his utility.

>This reminds me: Dylan (ADV) is missing the '(ADV)' in his name, which
>causes problems with some of the sorting and database functions, as he
>has the same name as the base Dylan.

Fixed.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:59:21 PM

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:14:47 -0400, The Lasombra <TheLasombra@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:38:04 +1000, salem
> <salem_christ.geo@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> There was a problem with Valerius Maior, Hell`s Fool in the Apostrophe
>>> based database. You would receive an error message if you tried to
>>> add either version to a deck. That it took ~4 months for anyone to
>>> notice this speaks highly of his utility.
>>> The database file uploaded to the appropriate group on July 9th, 2005
>>> resolves this issue.
>
>> or eldb's now that there are other options.....
>
> There are 1468 members of the ELDB update group.
> There were less than 1100 when KMW was released. It is still
> extremely popular.

Which is odd, because ARDB and FELDB are both better than ELDB. Not to
mention how FELDB is AFAIK backward compatible with ELDB files...

--
Bye,

Daneel
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:12:51 PM

In message <opstq2c706o6j3lh@news.chello.hu>, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu>
writes:
>Which is odd, because ARDB and FELDB are both better than ELDB.

Depends what you're doing.

I, for instance, tend to use ELDB simply so I have a local copy of card
texts, particularly vampire disciplines.

At that point, none of the alternatives offer me anything I don't
already have.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:12:51 +0100, James Coupe <james@zephyr.org.uk>
wrote:

> In message <opstq2c706o6j3lh@news.chello.hu>, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu>
> writes:
>> Which is odd, because ARDB and FELDB are both better than ELDB.
>
> Depends what you're doing.
>
> I, for instance, tend to use ELDB simply so I have a local copy of card
> texts, particularly vampire disciplines.
>
> At that point, none of the alternatives offer me anything I don't
> already have.

While I find it odd that you do not wish to, for example, at least use
any search and filter functions, I see that in your particular case ELDB
is indeed not any worse than those other deck builders.

However, I tend to consider you example to be the cornercase. I might be
wrong, but I assume that a lot of the people who use ELDB would enjoy at
least some of the added benefits of ARDB or FELDB. I'd name lack of
information and lack of willingness to try something new as the main
reasons for sticking to ELDB.

I for example use four sources for card listing / deck building:

ARDB - highly intelligent search functions to filter the cards. Solid
deck builder, I've built most of my decks using it.

FELDB - good inventory management functions. I also recently switched to
using it for deck building. It has some decent deck diagnostics tools.

Monger - can be accessed from any computer with web access, without
needing to install any files.

On-line card text list at ww - when I need to be certain of some text.

--
Bye,

Daneel
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:31:41 PM

Daneel wrote:
> I for example use four sources for card listing / deck building:

I use FELDB purely as a source for card texts. I prefer its filters to
ELDB, even though it's not much different.

What would be really handy is the facility to launch searches of
google's archive of the jyhad newsgroup based on selections from one of
the card databases (particularly author:lsj searches).

I don't use any inventory or deck building functions. I have several
drawers-full-of-cards for those functions.

--
* lehrbuch (lehrbuch@gmail.com)
Anonymous

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:31:41 +1200, lehrbuch <lehrbuch@gmail.com>
wrote:

>What would be really handy is the facility to launch searches of
>google's archive of the jyhad newsgroup based on selections from one of
>the card databases (particularly author:lsj searches).

Certain versions of ELDB allow this.
You export the deck, open it in a web broswer, then click on the link
for the card name. This opens the appropriate Monger page where you
can click the link to search for LSJ posts with the cards.

I haven't yet updated the links for Kindred Most Wanted, I haven't
really been motivated. I could update the web links to go directly to
the LSJ posts though if I thought enough people would find it useful.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:49:46 PM

The Lasombra wrote:
> lehrbuch wrote:
>> What would be really handy is the facility to launch searches of
>> google's archive of the jyhad newsgroup based on selections from one of
>> the card databases (particularly author:lsj searches).
>
> Certain versions of ELDB allow this.
> You export the deck, open it in a web broswer, then click on the link
> for the card name. This opens the appropriate Monger page where you
> can click the link to search for LSJ posts with the cards.

Thanks, but without meaning to sound ungrateful, there are a bit too
many moving parts in that sequence for me. It is just as easy to open
my web-browser at google-groups and do the search myself.

What I meant was something were I could highlight a word or phrase, like
"Justicar", in card text and then right-click/press-a-key to launch a
google search to find rulings/comments that mention "Justicar".

My newsreader allows me to do this to newsgroup posts (select words in
the text and auto-magically search for LSJ posts about them).

Maybe it requires more programming juice to send commands from the
database to the browser, and I suppose then the database writer has to
worry about what sort of browser is running alongside the database and
so forth. I guess that last point is what will render the idea impractical.

--
* lehrbuch (lehrbuch@gmail.com)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:19:34 AM

lehrbuch wrote:

> Maybe it requires more programming juice to send commands from the
> database to the browser, and I suppose then the database writer has to
> worry about what sort of browser is running alongside the database and
> so forth. I guess that last point is what will render the idea impractical.

Not necessarily. It would be relatively easy to send a shell execute
command with "http://groups.google.com/blah blah blah" and whatever
browser is registered as the default on the user's system will
interpret the url. Back when I was programming, we did a similar thing
with a cyp:// tag which looked like a url, but actually opened up our
own program.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:15:12 PM

In message <1121519974.131890.31460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Chris
Berger <arkayn@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>lehrbuch wrote:
>
>> Maybe it requires more programming juice to send commands from the
>> database to the browser, and I suppose then the database writer has to
>> worry about what sort of browser is running alongside the database and
>> so forth. I guess that last point is what will render the idea impractical.
>>
>Not necessarily. It would be relatively easy to send a shell execute
>command with "http://groups.google.com/blah blah blah"

That no source code is available for ELDB makes this somewhat harder.