Kemintiri ADV Paragon?

When Kemintri merges can she get Paragon on her next turn?

If not, how about if you bring out Kemintri original, next turn play
Gift of Experience and then Paragon on same turn? (Need two master
phase actions.)

adam.hulse@gmail.com wrote:
> When Kemintri merges can she get Paragon on her next turn?

No. Nor can she become a Legendary Vampire the turn after merging.

> If not, how about if you bring out Kemintri original, next turn play
> Gift of Experience and then Paragon on same turn? (Need two master
> phase actions.)

Sure.

Alternately, if a merged Kementiri who went to the uncontrolled region
due to Banishment or Reality is influenced back out, she's a valid
target for Paragon on the next turn.

adam.hulse@gmail.com wrote:
> When Kemintri merges can she get Paragon on her next turn?

Not unless she was moved to your ready region during your last influence phase.

> If not, how about if you bring out Kemintri original, next turn play
> Gift of Experience and then Paragon on same turn? (Need two master
> phase actions.)

Yes.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

LSJ wrote:
> > When Kemintri merges can she get Paragon on her next turn?
>
> Yes.

But her card text has: "She can play cards that require Camarilla,
Ventrue, and/or a justicar title." Surely this means that only *she*
can play such minion cards, but *you* as Methuselah cannot play master
cards with those requirements?

Name: Paragon
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Ventrue
Unique master.
Put this card on a ready Ventrue who was moved into your ready region
during your last influence phase. This vampire gets 1 additional vote
in
referendums called by younger vampires. A younger vampire who
successfully
blocks this vampire burns 1 blood (before combat begins, if any).

Michael wrote:
> [Kemitiri's] card text has: "She can play cards that require Camarilla,
> Ventrue, and/or a justicar title." Surely this means that only *she*
> can play such minion cards, but *you* as Methuselah cannot play master
> cards with those requirements?

Uh, yeah, that's right.

I've been making waaay too many bad calls on the rules in this group
recently. Must be showing my age. It's some consolation that LSJ
missed the same point, I guess.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I did the same thing. Thinking about a Kemintiri deck, I briefly
thought Temptation of Greater Power would be an excellent inclusion :/

Michael wrote:

> LSJ wrote:
>
>>>When Kemintri merges can she get Paragon on her next turn?
>>
>>Yes.
>>

> But her card text has: "She can play cards that require Camarilla,
> Ventrue, and/or a justicar title." Surely this means that only *she*
> can play such minion cards, but *you* as Methuselah cannot play master
> cards with those requirements?

No. Her text box was simply too full already to accomodate the
extra verbiage. It means what the same.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

But compare the following:

Kemintiri : "She may play cards that require .... "

Mata Hari : "You and she may play cards that require ... "

The two phrases clearly have different meanings, which indicates that
no further inference is needed. I don't at all agree that it is
intuitive that these two phrases in fact mean the same thing.

Michael wrote:

> How are we supposed to infer verbiage that is not on the card?

As others have indicated in this thread, it is intuitive.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

"Michael" <blackshinyboots@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But compare the following:

Could you PLEASE quote?!?

Without quotes, your posts are totally non-sensical and thus off-topic.
You shouldn't post as if threaded newsreaders were considered a requirement.

Fred

James Coupe wrote:
> By all means, if necessary issue errata to her. But this surely cannot
> be supported by card text or ruling precedents being followed.

See also the fact that she may play such cards "as if" she met the
requirements in question (also not explicitly stated on the card).

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

In message <RkWBe.11222$aY6.7635@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, LSJ
<vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> writes:
>James Coupe wrote:
>> By all means, if necessary issue errata to her. But this surely cannot
>> be supported by card text or ruling precedents being followed.
>
>See also the fact that she may play such cards "as if" she met the
>requirements in question (also not explicitly stated on the card).

That was explained in this post:

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b
438fedccb8b4c73?hl=en&>

i.e. that has to happen, or else she couldn't play them because she has
to meet the requirements somehow. The card text is incomplete and needs
a ruling to clarify how it functions.

However, since her card text specifies *nothing* about her controlling
Methuselah being able to play cards (which Kemintiri doesn't play
herself), there is no need to spontaneously imagine card text to do
that.

I would ask that you refer this to the Rules Team for clarification as
it defies all explanation. Many dozens of rulings show that the
"intuitive" ruling is ignored in favour of what card text actually says.
Why is this card so special?

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:59:13 GMT, LSJ <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com>
wrote:

> James Coupe wrote:
>> By all means, if necessary issue errata to her. But this surely cannot
>> be supported by card text or ruling precedents being followed.
>
> See also the fact that she may play such cards "as if" she met the
> requirements in question (also not explicitly stated on the card).

So... does one omission make another one right? ;)

Anyway, I kind of agree with the problem. Sometimes a ruling/clarification
follows card text so closely that it appears to be grammatically hair-
splitting, and at least somewhat unintuitive; at other times, the ruling/
clarification interprets card text seemingly loosely, filling in any blanks
in an 'intuitive' way.

IMHO this removes at least a bit of clarity from VTES.

Quick question: if there was this following card:

Name: Superior Thaumaturgy
Type: Master
Requires: Thaumaturgy
Text: Put this card on a vampire. The minion with this card has Superior
Thaumaturgy.

....then could it be played on Talaq, the Immortal, for example?

--
Bye,

Daneel

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Frederick Scott wrote:
> Could you PLEASE quote?!?

Sorry. I don't post to newsgroups at all frequently. I'm not very
net-savvy.

> Without quotes, your posts are totally non-sensical and thus off-topic.

I'm sure most people are able to make sense of what I write.

Michael wrote:
> Frederick Scott wrote:
> > Could you PLEASE quote?!?
>
> Sorry. I don't post to newsgroups at all frequently. I'm not very
> net-savvy.

That's OK. Net savvy is what we are helping you to become by giving you
friendly advice.

> > Without quotes, your posts are totally non-sensical and thus off-topic.
>
> I'm sure most people are able to make sense of what I write.

Most people could make sense of what you wrote if you wrote in pig
latin or used no vowels. But it would be a pain in the ass, so you'd
lose a lot of readers. Since the only reason people post around here is
to share ideas, it makes sense to make your posts as clear as possible.

> Frederick Scott wrote:

>> Without quotes, your posts are totally non-sensical and thus off-topic.
>
> I'm sure most people are able to make sense of what I write.

Only with a thread newsreader would anyone be able to make sense of your
quoteless posts - which is why I added the one line you neglected to include
in your last post:

# You shouldn't post as if threaded newsreaders were considered a requirement.

Without threading, a reader sees some completely out of the blue comment,
like:

"How are we supposed to infer verbiage that is not on the card?"

and think, well, gee, why would you need to infer verbiage that is not on
the card? And what card are you talking about? And who were you asking?
It was a completely bizarre post when looked at that way.

Fred

In message <1121705041.054951.305350@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Michael <blackshinyboots@hotmail.com> writes:
>Frederick Scott wrote:
>> Without quotes, your posts are totally non-sensical and thus off-topic.
>
>I'm sure most people are able to make sense of what I write.

If there is no compelling reason to read your post[0], many people will
simply skip over it without bothering.

Note that in any given thread, it could become hundreds of posts long.
Because of the threaded nature of Usenet discussions, one such sub-
thread could come right before your post. So by the time it gets round
to your post (which was responding to something many, many posts back),
are you talking about something in that sub-thread, or something else
entirely? These quickly leads to mis-understandings.

Brief relevant quotes (or possibly summaries of points, where
appropriate) remove the problem entirely.

[0] For instance, being the CEO of a major company or an official
moderator of a group, or somesuch; people may well put in the effort to
understand your post, even if it's badly put together, because they need
to understand it.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.
EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 NO-ONE IS SCREAMING.

Mike

Splendid

"James Coupe" <james@zephyr.org.uk> wrote in message
> In message <RkWBe.11222$aY6.7635@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, LSJ
> <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> writes:
> >James Coupe wrote:
> >> By all means, if necessary issue errata to her. But this surely cannot
> >> be supported by card text or ruling precedents being followed.
> >
> >See also the fact that she may play such cards "as if" she met the
> >requirements in question (also not explicitly stated on the card).
>
> That was explained in this post:
>
> <http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b
> 438fedccb8b4c73?hl=en&>
>
> i.e. that has to happen, or else she couldn't play them because she has
> to meet the requirements somehow. The card text is incomplete and needs
> a ruling to clarify how it functions.
>

> However, since her card text specifies *nothing* about her controlling
> Methuselah being able to play cards (which Kemintiri doesn't play
> herself), there is no need to spontaneously imagine card text to do
> that.
>

> I would ask that you refer this to the Rules Team for clarification as
> it defies all explanation. Many dozens of rulings show that the
> "intuitive" ruling is ignored in favour of what card text actually says.
> Why is this card so special?

I second that. AFAIK this is the first case in the history of the game where
we are expected to play a card differently from written without an official
errata to cover it.

Regards,

Mike Nudd
VEKN Prince of London

Mike wrote:
> I second that. AFAIK this is the first case in the history of the game where
> we are expected to play a card differently from written without an official
> errata to cover it.

Ah, the melodrama is afoot.
Indeed, it is not even among the first ten such cards.

But, as per conversations on the PoB, reports of the intuitiveness of the
situation have apparently been greatly exaggerated, as well.

So: REVERSAL (to take effect 30 days from now, for constructed deck
tournaments). Merged Kemintiri doesn't enable you to play master cards,
it only enables her to play certain minion cards.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ <vtesrepSPAM@trapwhite-wolf.com> wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > I second that. AFAIK this is the first case in the history of the game where
> > we are expected to play a card differently from written without an official
> > errata to cover it.

> Ah, the melodrama is afoot.
> Indeed, it is not even among the first ten such cards.

> But, as per conversations on the PoB, reports of the intuitiveness of the
> situation have apparently been greatly exaggerated, as well.

> So: REVERSAL (to take effect 30 days from now, for constructed deck
> tournaments). Merged Kemintiri doesn't enable you to play master cards,
> it only enables her to play certain minion cards.

30 days from this ruling is August 19th.
This means that Kemintiri-Adv will work one way at at the Last Chance
Qualifier, and differently during the NAC. Just thought I'd point that
out :)

Mike wrote:
> "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> > Kemintiri hardly reached the level of "needing to be cut down in the
> > face of intuition" (not that, apparently it flew in the face of intuition
> > as much as originally reported) as Sleeping Mind.
> >
> > In Kem's case, the players apparently have intuition enough to follow
> > the letter of card text. My initial impression of the general player's
> > intuition was mistaken. Therefore the reversal.
>
> In the case of Kementiri I don't think the text implies the wider
> interpretation originally proscribed, particularly when compared to Mata
> Hari where the additional function is explicit, as Michael kindly pointed
> out earlier.
>
> Having said that, I think Kementiri would be a lot cooler if she *did* also
> permit players to play cards requiring Ventrue or Justicars too. But I think
> that for the sake of sanity that would require formal errata, and hopefully
> a subsequent corrected printing of her in a future card set.

Just so we all know, is Kementiri still on the Rules Team list for
discussion? It seems design intent was to allow for the Methuselah also
to play Masters, similar to Mata Hari. I agree that she'd be pretty
sweet if this were the case and hopefully she'll be that way in the
near future.

Jeff

In message <42DEEC83.7000604@TRAPwhite-wolf.com>, LSJ
<vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> writes:
>But, as per conversations on the PoB, reports of the intuitiveness of the
>situation have apparently been greatly exaggerated, as well.

If intuition could kick in and resolve card problems, I'd dispute the
rulings (way back when) on The Sleeping Mind.

Reading card text (as with Kemintiri) tells you one thing but intuition
tells you what the card is trying to do (i.e. the express opposite of
what the legalistic ruling attempts to do).

Similarly, Tremere Convocation never needed to be changed. Intuitively,
you could see what it was trying to do, even though its card text said
something different.

"Intuition" is not a good metric for abandoning card text, in general.
Many hundreds of questions to the newsgroup show that perfectly ordinary
card text can be intuited in dozens of different ways. Whilst card text
can be distributed to players via the website, it is extremely hard to
tell players:

a) what the proper intuition is
b) which cards it applies to and which cards it doesn't.

This is, so far as I can tell, why we errata cards that don't do what
they are intended to do. Players know that the most up-to-date card
text is what they are supposed to play. If there is no change to the
card text, they don't have to try to intuit some missing card text or a
counter-face-value reading.

--

James Coupe wrote:

> In message <42DEEC83.7000604@TRAPwhite-wolf.com>, LSJ
> <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> writes:
>
>>But, as per conversations on the PoB, reports of the intuitiveness of the
>>situation have apparently been greatly exaggerated, as well.
>

> If intuition could kick in and resolve card problems, I'd dispute the
> rulings (way back when) on The Sleeping Mind.

Kemintiri hardly reached the level of "needing to be cut down in the
face of intuition" (not that, apparently it flew in the face of intuition
as much as originally reported) as Sleeping Mind.

> Reading card text (as with Kemintiri) tells you one thing but intuition
> tells you what the card is trying to do (i.e. the express opposite of
> what the legalistic ruling attempts to do).

As you wish.

> "Intuition" is not a good metric for abandoning card text, in general.

Like for Cats' Guidance?

That's the problem with black and white in a gray world -- there are
always exceptions.

In Kem's case, the players apparently have intuition enough to follow
the letter of card text. My initial impression of the general player's
intuition was mistaken. Therefore the reversal.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Mike

Splendid

"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote in message
> James Coupe wrote:
>
> > In message <42DEEC83.7000604@TRAPwhite-wolf.com>, LSJ
> > <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> writes:
> >
> >>But, as per conversations on the PoB, reports of the intuitiveness of
the
> >>situation have apparently been greatly exaggerated, as well.
> >

> > If intuition could kick in and resolve card problems, I'd dispute the
> > rulings (way back when) on The Sleeping Mind.
>
> Kemintiri hardly reached the level of "needing to be cut down in the
> face of intuition" (not that, apparently it flew in the face of intuition
> as much as originally reported) as Sleeping Mind.
>
> > Reading card text (as with Kemintiri) tells you one thing but intuition
> > tells you what the card is trying to do (i.e. the express opposite of
> > what the legalistic ruling attempts to do).
>
> As you wish.
>
> > "Intuition" is not a good metric for abandoning card text, in general.
>
> Like for Cats' Guidance?
>
> That's the problem with black and white in a gray world -- there are
> always exceptions.
>
> In Kem's case, the players apparently have intuition enough to follow
> the letter of card text. My initial impression of the general player's
> intuition was mistaken. Therefore the reversal.

In the case of Kementiri I don't think the text implies the wider
interpretation originally proscribed, particularly when compared to Mata
Hari where the additional function is explicit, as Michael kindly pointed
out earlier.

Having said that, I think Kementiri would be a lot cooler if she *did* also
permit players to play cards requiring Ventrue or Justicars too. But I think
that for the sake of sanity that would require formal errata, and hopefully
a subsequent corrected printing of her in a future card set.

As far as intuition goes, my first thought was that Kementiri was perhaps
*supposed* to have been printed like Mata Hari but there had been an error
or cock-up at the printing stage. If this had been given as the reason for
the original ruling, I think people might have been slightly less perplexed.

Players of course use their intuition all the time when playing the game,
but in the absence of already-announced rulings and errata, the card text
itself
does have to take precedence. To suggest that players should feel free to
add their own spins on cards could lead to very wild and unsettling
variations of play, and this is something I'm sure we are all keen to avoid.

Regards,

Mike Nudd
VEKN Prince of London