nVidia driver VS dual DDR 400

wbliss

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I recently purchased an Aopen AX4C Max motherboard, a Chaintech XF Geforce 5200 Ultra video card and 2 dimms of DDR 400 memory. This board has the Intel 875P chipset and does dual memory so the pathway is 128K instead of 64K. The system would not run with both Dimms installed even with the latest nVidia drivers. It runs nicely with only one Dimm installed. Earlier nVidia drivers tried as well. It appears to me that nVidia is unable to handle the dual DDR memory at present. Does anyone know what I can do to make the Dual DDR memory work?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, it's 128b and 64b (as in bit, not killobit, it's a measure of how many wires wide the data connection is, and I've never seen a board with 128,000 wires going to the memory). Now, what makes you think your problem is the video card?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Umm...nVidia has nothing to do with Dual Channel DDR on an 875P motherboard. Are you saying the motherboard will not post with two DIMMS? Perhaps you ought to check Aopen's website to see if there is a BIOS flash update there, (which there certainly will be.) Maybe you found the new P4 bug.

Or maybe you're trying to install nForce2 drivers on a Canterwood motherboard? I sure hope not. :smile:

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

wbliss

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate your taking time to respond. I'll definitely check for the flash update.

BTW, I am smart enough not to install the nForce2 drivers. I used the latest Detonator drivers for the Geforce video cards. I also have a Geforce MX video card that I know is functional to try. I know there is nothing wrong with these video cards. Lastly I had my computer programmer friend helping me. No I am not confused on the bit VS kilobit VS Kilobyte issue. Forgive me for typing the wrong thing. I have rebuilt my system several times and even built my own watercooling device so I do know a thing or two.

wbliss

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
One more thing. The system did run in 16 colors with both dimms installed. It was only when I loaded the Detonator drivers for the video card that the system hung.

wbliss

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I installed the latest Bios for the Aopen AX4C Max motherboard. It is version 1.03R. This did not help. I still cannot run with Dual DDR memory. I checked Aopen's website and manuals. They have absolutely no instructions for installing the memory. A glaring omission.

Also they use broken English throughout their website and in their manuals. You would think they could hire at least one person who's native language is English to help with their texts.

They also omit istructions for installing your HDD LED. They want you to spend an extra $25 to buy their Dr LED. This will give you a light for each component during bootup. This is a nice feature because then you know what fails during bootup but they should allow for people that would rather not spend the extra cash.

Latest posts