Triple head card

3vian

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
I'm looking for cards that support 3 analog monitors, I only see matrox cards, like the new Millennium P750 (coming out at the end of May, any1 noe of a review of this card?), that are under $400 (i.e. not workstation cards like the Qudro 400 NVS). I want something that is also good for gaming on at least 1 monitor (the Matrox Parhelia is sort of too crap in that respect).

cleeve

Illustrious
I think you're stuck with Parhelia, dude.

I have a bit of respect for the Matrox even though they get loads of bad press because they aren't the fastest gaming solution. they might not get 200+ FPS in most games, but they're almost always playable at medium resolutions. From what I've seen, they're almost always on par with the Radeon 9000 PRO, and that ain't that bad...

The really good part is their brilliant antialiassing implementation rocks, and they can run everything 1024*768 at 4x FSAA and get framerates like a Geforce4Ti4600 does. :)

I mean, I wouldn't recommend them for a raw gaming solution otherwise but I don't think it's the end of the world if you absolutely need a triple monitor setup... from what I've seen, owners of them are pleasantly surprised.

3vian

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2003
Will before I go out any get the Parhelia, does any1 know of a review of the new Millennium P750 or how it performs? Does THG have any plans to review it?!?!?!?!

cleeve

Illustrious
Xbit labs mentions the Parhelia-LX chip (The one in the upcoming 750) and the upcoming cards here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030423071240.html

Long story short, these puppies will be SLOWER than the original parhelia as they use a 128 bit memory bus instead of a 256 bit bus like the Parhelia.

The only thing they have that the original Parhelia doesn't have is AGP 8x support, which does nothing for performance. The neutered memory bandwidth will cripple these cards, even if they increase clockspeeds...

Sorry for the bad news, dude. :(