Need help choosing laptop

Your help is needed!
I am not tech savvy with computers, I only know what people tell me I need to have!! :)

Can you help me find a model for under $800?

I am looking for something similar to the following:

At least Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
second generation i7/i5 (or comparable AMD)
at least 6GB Ram memory upgradeable
larger than 500GB HD
Graphics card (dedicated?) good for gaming
Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth
Built-in HD webcam and microphone
as many as I can get USB 3.0 port
Memory card reader
HDMI port
Backlit Keyboard
Great battery life

Will use computer in the home mostly and a few trips a year.

HP, Toshiba?? Something I can get in the store and not wait to be shipped!!
22 answers Last reply
More about need choosing laptop
  1. Country? Preferred shop?
  2. USA.
    Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot??
  3. Would you be willing to purchase online? Or do you need to go out and buy one at a store like today?
  4. @SpoiledQueen
    SpoiledQueen said:
    Would you be willing to purchase online? Or do you need to go out and buy one at a store like today?

Here's the answer:

Anonymous said:
    HP, Toshiba?? Something I can get in the store and not wait to be shipped!!

:)
  5. Buy a sager. Buy it online. They are the absolulte greatest laptops available and better prices than similar speced brand names such as Dell, HP, Acer, etc...
  6. That backlit keyboard requirement is tricky. Only one I've found so far is @ Staples for $849.
    Dell XPS 14z-2308ELS 14" Laptop
    Core i5-2430M 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 14" 1366x768 LCD w/ HD Graphics 3000.
  7. @ BestBuy $742
    Toshiba Satellite M645-S4118X 14" notebook
    Core i5 i5-2410M 2.30 GHz, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 14" 1366x768 LCD w/ GT 525M graphics card.
  8. What do you think of this one??

$749.99
    Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Platinum

Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i7 2.2GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
    Battery 6-cell lithium-ion
    High-definition widescreen LED-backlit TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1600 x 900)
    17.3"
    6GB
    750GB
    Graphics Card Intel® HD ( NOT sure which one?)
    Video Memory 64 - 1696MB (shared)
    DVD±RW/Blu-ray Disc/CD-RW
    Digital Media Reader
    Built-in Webcam
    Built-in facial recognition
    Wireless-B+G+N
    USB 2.0 Ports 1 USB 3.0; 3 USB 2.0
    HDMI Output
    Windows 7 Home Premium System Version 64-bit
    Wireless 4G WiMAX

NO bluetooth
  9. That's one I might have listed if you hadn't had BlueTooth and Backlit Keyboard in your list of requirements.
  10. The only option listed so far that has anything more than the most basic gaming ability is the Toshiba Satellite M645 and it's GT 525M graphics card.
  11. If you could restrain your need for instant gratification you could get some like:
    Dell XPS 17 Intel 2nd Gen Core i5 2.3GHz Laptop (Quickship) w/2-year warranty $700
    Core i5-2410M 2.30 CPU, 17.3" 1600x900 LCD w/ GT 550M graphics.
    The optional backlit keyboard and Bluetooth are not included in the QuickShip option.
  12. I forgot to ask what screen resolution is needed to support FULL HD playback?
  13. you mean 1080P HD? That would be a 1920x1080 resolution screen.
  14. You'd probably want a Blu-Ray optical drive in place of the DVD drive too.
  15. Ok I can wait for this laptop now :)
    I think I really want the Blu-Ray, backlit keyboard, bluetooth, 1920x1080 screen, and a graphic card with some decent gaming ability ( not too intensive games mostly Nancy Drew for the kids, Syberia and some older games like Myst :) :D and maybe a few new games. )

In addition to the above mentioned requirements of course!

So with these new requirements and the option to customize, which models do you recommend??

Thank you all so much!!
  16. Dell XPS 15 or XPS 17 with the backlit keyboard, Blu-Ray, 1920x1080 and Bluetooth options.
    You can stick with the Core i5 CPU if you need to keep costs down a bit.
  17. For the XPS 15 graphics cards:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M graphics card review this is probably all you need for the games you mentioned. And maybe a few news ones on low settings.
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M graphics card review
  18. Is Dell the only brand you would recommend? Thanks! You have been so helpful!
  19. What is the difference between the above mentioned graphics cards?
    Which is more powerful?
    I'm sorry I did go to the links but I could not tell what the major differences were!

I should have mentioned that I use 5 programs pretty much on a daily basis at the same time (Inkscape, Adobe Photoshop, Silhouette America's Silhouette Studio, Make the Cut, and Word. These are programs working with graphics for a cutting machine.), all while the internet is at my disposal to use frequently. :)

So the type of graphics card I choose will need to accommodate having all these programs open at the same time and maybe a few more like windows snipping tool and iTunes!
  20. It's the one I can recommend with all your options. And you can get it at a competitive price.
  21. The higher the model number the higher the performance.
    The 144 shader cores and 192 bit memory bus make the GT 555M the highest performing graphics card listed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Product