How much TP on ATI GPU?

TARIK26Z

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
I brought the 9700pro, I also brougth a water cooling unit (swifttech mcw50) my question is that when I TOOK the heatsink stock fan unit off of the card there is a small block and around it is a green area this is sunken down, I think I read somwhere that if I filled that area up with thermal paste I would get better results. so should I do it or just put it on that little square?

cleeve

Illustrious
Jesus Christ, no! Do NOT fill the green area with thermal paste.

The green area isn't even the GPU... the GPU is the little black square that sticks up from the bigger green square.

The green stuff isn't what you're trying to cool. You're trying to cool the GPU, the little black square

Filling the green part with thermal paste will only retain heat...

What you might have heard is that some people remove the shim... the silver colored spacer around the green part... so that the cooler can have a better contact with the GPU.

If you have any questions about modding the 9700, I advise you ask questions on the Rage3d.com overclocking forum. Tons of Ati expertise there.

- Cleeve

P.S. Do NOT I repeat do NOT fill the green area with thermal paste...

Whew! Close one.

Ok so that's;

NEVER FILL THE GREEN SPACE WITH THERMAL PASTE;
Never Fill the Green Space With Thermal Paste;
don't fill the green space with thermal paste;
What do I do with the Green Space and Paste;
Do I fill the green space with thermal paste;
Yeah, Fill The Green Space With Thermal Paste;
Always Fill the Green Space With Thermal Paste;
AlWAYS FILL THE GREEN SPACE WITH THERMAL PASTE!

Aaargh, Damn-it! What was I supposed to do again?

:eek:

My homage to Kids in the Hall!

Never put Salt in your Eyes -> Always put Salt in your Eyes!

Yes, you only need to conduct heat away from the core, or the Di-lythium crystal will explo... wait sorry which group is this again? Techers Anonymous? Oh I was looking for..

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK