Laptop Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoiledQueen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello all!
I've looked around a bit and can't really find answers to my specific questions anywhere so I decided to just make a post. I recently just purchased an ASUS gaming laptop. It has an i7 2630QM CPU and an nVidia 460M 1GB mobile video card/chip. I've had it for a month or so and it works great, no problems or anything, but today I became curious as to just how hot it's running (as some more graphically intense games make the internal fans more audible and I wondered if that was bad) so I installed SpeedFan to check it out. Right now my CPU (all cores) and GPU idle at about 50C and under load go to 70-80c.... this seems kind of high even for a laptop... is there any cause for concern? Should I look into buying a laptop cooler? If so, any recommendations? Any other tips or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

~SQ

Solution
Hello SpoiledQueen;

Idle temps @ 40-50C look high but are probably the result of a 'quite profile' to keep the fan noise low. And those temps are OK, well within design limits.

Load temps:
CPU: 60-65C is reasonable and well within the spec for that CPU.
GPU: 85C under load is also looking 'normal'.

I think you're good to go.

SpoiledQueen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
After letting the laptop sit for a while longer completely idle, and lowering the temp in the room the laptop is in, the idle temps are now 42-47c for GPU and 40-45c for CPU(s). Just thought I'd put that up... will test the temp under load w/ lower ambient temp now.

SpoiledQueen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
OK so under load it looks like my GPU reaches up to 85c under load! My CPU however levels off at 60-65c. It seems like my GPU temp is really, really high then again I know mobile versions of things are made to run a bit hotter...

Hello SpoiledQueen;

Idle temps @ 40-50C look high but are probably the result of a 'quite profile' to keep the fan noise low. And those temps are OK, well within design limits.

Load temps:
CPU: 60-65C is reasonable and well within the spec for that CPU.
GPU: 85C under load is also looking 'normal'.

I think you're good to go.

Solution
From Nvidia forums: GeForce GTX 460M on ASUS G73SW-3DE...Idle temps?
mentions 65C CPU and 85C GPU under load as being normal.

As long as you don't block the intake or exhaust vents (like placing the notebook on a soft surface) you can probably hold off getting a laptop cooler till have run your usual gaming workload in the usual places. If you're staying pretty close to the 65/85 mark you can skip the cooler.

HWInfo32 will let you monitor the highest temps during an operating session.

SpoiledQueen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Thank you soooo much WR2! I appreciate your feedback, I swear I looked at the nVidia forum for like 30 min and didn't find anything on my particular card =/ maybe I put a typo in the search... anyway I really appreciate your answers they took a load off my mind. I think I'm going to invest in a cheap laptop cooler anyway, just to see if I can't bring the temps down a little bit for the heck of it.

Thanks again!

~SQ

SpoiledQueen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

How would I disable this "quiet* profile" you speak of? lol :)

The first place I'd look would be the BIOS.
And the Asus models usually have custom apps to manage system functions, including fan speeds. A different fan profile would be a bit louder but would kick in earlier to keep idle temps down.
I would prefer to have the laptop quieter, longer, as long as the temps are in the moderate range like your idle temps.

I know there are more than a few Asus 'Owners Lounge' type forum threads here and there. You might want to look for one and see what other Asus owners are doing to manage their notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.