Picture too big for my TV (Radeon 9700 Pro)

Oddish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I just swapped from my old "Geforce 3 Ti200" to a Radeon 9700 Pro and just tested the TV-out. It looks great, but the problem is that the picture the computer sends to the TV doesn't fit in the TV display. :) I can't find a setting for this anywhere so I'd like to hear from other 9700 Pro owners. Has anyone had the same problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
how much too big? there is a screen adjustment tab if you installed the drivers from ati.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

CasualCat2001

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
We would need to know how much too big. If you are losing parts of the picture along the edges, this is most likely b/c of your tv and not the video card. Most (probably all) TVs are affected by overscan. This is where a portion of the picture actually extends beyond the edges of the screen. On a good television this will be minimal. For example, my TV has less than 5% overscan for each edge. On poorer or older TVs though this will be a much greater amount (10-15% per edge). If you have a DVD drive maybe you can find someone from whom to borrow a disc called Avia. It has an overscan test pattern in addition to its many other features for setting up a home theater.

Oddish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2002
I don't think it's overscan since it works perfectly if I lower the resolution to 1024x768 before I switch over to TV output. I just tested that, and realised that it's trying to show my desktop resolution (1280x960) on the TV despite the fact that it says 1024x768 under the TV icon in the settings (se screenshot in my second post).

You would think a $350 graphics card should be able to handle lowering the resolution to 1024x768 by itself when switching to TV output. :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oddish on 05/02/03 04:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>