IT Degree?

nwa_compton

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I am currently in my first year of community college and I love computers, so I want to pursue a career in them. I wanted to be a programmer, but its esimated the jobs will be shipped over seas making the demand for programmers in America go down. So I was still stuck on computers and saw that IT jobs are going to be expanding rapidly within the next few years. SO my question is what would be the most suitable degree to be an IT technician at a big company like sony, microsoft,etc....?

Thanks
-Nwa

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Your assumption that Software Engineering positions being shipped overseas couldn't be more wrong my friend.

The reason that those jobs are shipped overseas is because there are not enough people here in the U.S. to do the job! I'm a 6 year IT Recruiter veteran for the Silicon Valley with some of the biggest and baddest tech companies. The need for candidates who can work in the U.S. WITHOUT the need for sponsorship (Read: Green card holders and U.S. Citizens) is so high, that just by being a permanent resident, your pay is automatically about 10% higher than those without it.

IT Infrastructure jobs on the other hand, while awesome and I do come from that background myself, are becoming harder and harder to find. This is due to a huge boom in infrastructure automation and self diagnostics and repairs in networks and systems. Yes, there's plenty of need now and there will probably still be need, but it'll be harder to compete for a job.

If you insist on getting into IT Infrastructure, a Computer Science degree can still very much help. A lot of programs used to administration and automation are tweaked and scripts are written in programming languages. M.I.S. degrees are still great, but Network Security will ultimately be king in the next 5-10 years in regards to Infrastructure degrees.

Hope this helps!