Play ps3 on your hdmi laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
There are some devices, cheapest I found was around $200, which allow you to capture from HDMI via USB 3.0... which may allow you to view the feed as it's coming in -- I don't know...

The cheap one I found was "Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0 Computers" http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Intensity-Computers-Professional/dp/B003WSQTWU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326755265&sr=8-4

Unfortunately, this device seems to need a desktop chipset (Intel X58), so may not even work for a laptop...

In the comments for that one on Amazon, a user mentions that PS3s output with HDCP on the HDMI signal, so this type of unit won't do anything with it directly, but then he also mentions a couple ways around this.

There are others built for the video editing industry, including a model from Matrox, that folks use to record their console gaming sessions, but this class of devices seem very expensive, you'd be better off with buying a monitor, or coming up with some sort of "plan B".

Good luck!

mohammedvazeer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
YEP THEY DO.REALLY AWESOME.
I PURCHASED AN ALIENWARE M17X AND IT HAS HDMI IN....THATS THE ONLY LAPTOP I KNOW THAT HAS IT.IT'S A BIT COSTLY BUT DEFINITELY WORTH IT FOR ALL THE FEATURES.

MOST LAPTOPS HAVE HDMI OUT,ALTHOUGH THERE ARE CONVERTERS THAT ARE AVAILABLE.
THEY DONT USUALLY WORK 100% AS THERE ARE RENDERING ISSUES.SOFTWARE IS NEEDED TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAMES FROM PS3,SOUND IS ALSO AN ISSUE.THE VIDEO MIGHT WORK BUT MAYBE AUDIO WONT.THERE IS A SLIGHT DELAY OF O.4/SEC WHICH ISNT GOOD WITH GAMES(ESPECIALLY IF IT'S FPS).

GOOD LUCK WITH IT

Status
Not open for further replies.